Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:33:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimal Settings For Sapphire 5830?  (Read 2867 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 11:40:48 AM

So I got a few friends of mine involved in bitcoin mining... convinced them to buy a few 5830 GPUs since we can get them for about $110 USD each up here in Canada.

I noticed that when installing ubuntu with these 5830s at any clock setting (stock or overclocked) the mouse didn't show up. With or without fglrx drivers... no mouse... hrmmm???

I have managed to set the memory clock to 300 MHz and the GPU core to 975 MHz with no problems and have received about 240 MHash/sec off of each card. I was hoping for at least 250 though.. :S

Any suggestions to up the speed?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 11:44:35 AM

So I got a few friends of mine involved in bitcoin mining... convinced them to buy a few 5830 GPUs since we can get them for about $110 USD each up here in Canada.

I noticed that when installing ubuntu with these 5830s at any clock setting (stock or overclocked) the mouse didn't show up. With or without fglrx drivers... no mouse... hrmmm???

I have managed to set the memory clock to 300 MHz and the GPU core to 975 MHz with no problems and have received about 240 MHash/sec off of each card. I was hoping for at least 250 though.. :S

Not to take the p_ss out of your question Tongue but you could get that extra 10mhash from mining your cpu(if its atleast semi decent one)

Just make sure if you mine GPU/CPU together to leave one thread open so that it wont cause a slowdown on the GPU. Might be a windows things but worth checking first on linux.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 12:02:10 PM

Not to take the p_ss out of your question Tongue but you could get that extra 10mhash from mining your cpu(if its atleast semi decent one)

Just make sure if you mine GPU/CPU together to leave one thread open so that it wont cause a slowdown on the GPU. Might be a windows things but worth checking first on linux.

No offense taken!

My buddy is running 4 * 5830s on an MSI 790FX-GD70 board... works fairly well at the moment... doing about 20% better than stock speeds at only ~18% gpu core increase.

Really my question is "is there a limit to how many mhz a cpu core can acheive? or is it solely dependant on temperature?"...Huh

I will be playing around with them more over the next few days and will let y'all know.

As of right now... we're doing almost 1 Ghps on an $800 USD rig. PM me for parts/info.
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 12:08:04 PM

No offense taken!

My buddy is running 4 * 5830s on an MSI 790FX-GD70 board... works fairly well at the moment... doing about 20% better than stock speeds at only ~18% gpu core increase.

Really my question is "is there a limit to how many mhz a cpu core can acheive? or is it solely dependant on temperature?"...Huh

I will be playing around with them more over the next few days and will let y'all know.

As of right now... we're doing almost 1 Ghps on an $800 USD rig. PM me for parts/info.

The speed the core can handle is partially dependent on the voltage it can handle. Those are easier to discover in windows than in linux. The wiki says VECTORS BFI_INT FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=12 WORKSIZE=256 so no different that a 5850 or 5870.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 12:13:54 PM

The speed the core can handle is partially dependent on the voltage it can handle. Those are easier to discover in windows than in linux. The wiki says VECTORS BFI_INT FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=12 WORKSIZE=256 so no different that a 5850 or 5870.

Well, the 5830 is a big downgrade from the 5850/5870 since he listed he is using a 5830.

Id suggest checking the hardware page out : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

The performance you get per 5830 seems just about correct for near stock speeds, perhaps follow some of the notes on the wiki pages opposite the 5830's.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: