Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:21:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero under 25 cents? What the hell are you waiting for?  (Read 13856 times)
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 06:40:53 AM

Maybe they should fork it into a ponycoin. I feel sorry for the people who listened to Rptelia.

Rough

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 11:31:41 AM

Maybe they should fork it into a ponycoin. I feel sorry for the people who listened to Rptelia.

Well, the problem was there was the slew of moderated threads which possibly gave uninitiated people a false sense of the situation.

However, in the grand scheme of things, while the Rptelia followers may have lost a lot of dosh speculating on Monero short term in the longer term I agree with Fluffy that things like the dev team, infrastructure and community make a big difference. Merchants and buyers would prefer security and stability over 'day trading'. What Monero needs above and beyond a high price is what all the Alts need with the exception of BTC and Ripple - that is, easy to use fiat exchanges and easy to use open source shopping cart payment modules. When this happens I can see a big uptake in Monero, Bytecoin and a few other alts.
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 12:40:56 PM

Well, the problem was there was the slew of moderated threads which possibly gave uninitiated people a false sense of the situation.

However, in the grand scheme of things, while the Rptelia followers may have lost a lot of dosh speculating on Monero short term in the longer term I agree with Fluffy that things like the dev team, infrastructure and community make a big difference. Merchants and buyers would prefer security and stability over 'day trading'. What Monero needs above and beyond a high price is what all the Alts need with the exception of BTC and Ripple - that is, easy to use fiat exchanges and easy to use open source shopping cart payment modules. When this happens I can see a big uptake in Monero, Bytecoin and a few other alts.

Anonymous cryptocurrencies will be first driven mainly by speculation. As the price stays more and more stable, speculation will turn into simple offshore cash storage. You can buy bitcoins that will not be traced to you. Isn't that a killer application? What other feature is worth mentioning in other altcoins that can compete with this one? I know its nice to have coins to do chat, or have cool memes, different mining algos etc. but everything can be done using bitcoin or if you require anonymity monero or darkcoin. sure, at this stage i don't see many competitors in this market. zerocash will come. so we have three competitors. Not too many and we can be sure that anonymity is not something that can a big corporation or central banks compete with creating a better altcoin.
If you add up all the marketcaps of these currencies, it seems temptingly low. Once the big run up in bitcoin starts, these anonymous coins will outperform.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 01:15:21 PM

Frankly, considering the overall quality of the altcoins discussions on this forum, I'm glad some who believe they are a recognized voice in the altcoin community don't find monero to be of their taste.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Moneroman88 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 01:46:24 PM

Monero's fungibility and privacy are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's.  This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".  Without privacy, there is no freedom.
sitefive

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 02:56:10 PM

yeah pump pump pump ,lol how about no?

UnicornFarts

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 04:22:45 PM

Frankly, considering the overall quality of the altcoins discussions on this forum, I'm glad some who believe they are a recognized voice in the altcoin community don't find monero to be of their taste.

Same, I'm glad there is so much resistance to the idea that Monero will dominate large part of crypto in the future, it shows it has real chances, after the Bitcoin hardfork fails to increase the maximum number of transctions per seconds, Monero will be the default fall-back choice.

1 - Doesn't bitcoin need a hardfork for 20mb blocks?  I thought it did.

2 - What makes you think it won't work?

3 - Comparing any altcoin to bitcoin is ... it is not as simple as people make it out to be.  Otherwise litecoin would have taken over bitcoin with it's faster transactions.  Then Darkcoin would have taken over litecoin.  Then Monero would have taken over darkcoin.  Well ok ... darkcoin might've been a stretch but.

There has to be a clear technical reason to justify the economic devastation of eradicating an existing currency. 
Stevenrm87

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 04:26:09 PM

Monero is failing because I won the Monerocoin.com Domain and I aint sellin it! bahahahahah

Selling fully funded Titan BTC Physical Bitcoins, Gold and SIlver - BTC Physical Bitcoins BTC PM if interested.
UnicornFarts

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 04:30:22 PM

It does need but the size limit of the blocks are hardly the only problem Bitcoin will face if it want to keep being the sole cryptocurrency on earth.

Oh yea ... well duh.  I was thinking we were talking about the current scaling problems bitcoin has with even it's very limited adoption.

Monero couldn't hack being in that position either  Cheesy

Probably have to have evil statist centralized planners to create something that can scale like that due to the problem of making decisions that plagues decentralized projects.   Grin
UnicornFarts

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 05:30:45 PM

I agree with everything you said.
PolarBear

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 10:15:24 AM

Monero is my favorite altcoin!
Moneroman88 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:27:49 AM

Monero is my favorite altcoin!

You're one of the smart ones.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 03:33:38 PM

One of the few alt coins worth dropping an entire BTC if you have the chance right now for sure.
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 04:23:35 PM

I'm waiting for actually being able to hold the coins by running a client on my laptop.  Currently it doesn't work because it requires too much RAM. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 05:39:18 PM

I'm waiting for actually being able to hold the coins by running a client on my laptop.  Currently it doesn't work because it requires too much RAM. 

The blockchain branch is pretty stable, we're currently focusing on write performance as catch-up is too slow. You can compile it yourself by cloning http://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero and then 'git checkout blockchain' - compile instructions are in the Readme.

Alternatively, just use MyMoneroSmiley

0nlyBTC

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 05:52:00 PM

One of the few alt coins worth dropping an entire BTC if you have the chance right now for sure.

I put 2 whole BTC down last week. Glad I jumped on the XMR train  Cheesy
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 06:19:09 PM

The blockchain branch is pretty stable, we're currently focusing on write performance as catch-up is too slow. You can compile it yourself by cloning http://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero and then 'git checkout blockchain' - compile instructions are in the Readme.

Alternatively, just use MyMoneroSmiley

Thanks for your reply again Wink 

By blockchain branch, do you mean that the chain is not held in memory (or swap)?    I will try it in any case.

As to mymonero..  if the site goes down can I recover the funds? 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 06:39:21 PM

By blockchain branch, do you mean that the chain is not held in memory (or swap)?    I will try it in any case.

No, the OS does swap just fine, it would be silly for us to try and add a layer on top of that (and it would never be as performant).

We have a completely abstracted blockchainDB class, and the first actual implementation (there will be many) uses LMDB, the Symas Lightning Memory-Mapped Database, which is the same embedded database that OpenLDAP and Armory use. We're even listed on the site:)

As to mymonero..  if the site goes down can I recover the funds? 

It uses the same mnemonic as we use in the Monero wallet client, but it's a shortened form (half the space). We are currently adding support for the short-key format into the wallet library, but needless to say if MyMonero (and I) had to disappear today it would not be difficult for someone else to add that support in:)

funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 07:23:31 PM

No, the OS does swap just fine, it would be silly for us to try and add a layer on top of that (and it would never be as performant).

We have a completely abstracted blockchainDB class, and the first actual implementation (there will be many) uses LMDB, the Symas Lightning Memory-Mapped Database, which is the same embedded database that OpenLDAP and Armory use. We're even listed on the site:)

Thanks, sorry for my continued questions.  I guess I don't understand the need for such a structure.  The block chain is already sitting there on the disk.  Copying it from one structure to another seems a waste of time and resources, unless I was planning to run a public explorer or something.  I did get it to run with swap but that just means now it takes up twice the hard drive space and lots of copying.  To give you an idea where I am coming from I also consider a bitcoin node to be a resource hog.  Since I have your attention, can I get a quick word on the possibility of SPV clients for monero?     

It uses the same mnemonic as we use in the Monero wallet client, but it's a shortened form (half the space). We are currently adding support for the short-key format into the wallet library, but needless to say if MyMonero (and I) had to disappear today it would not be difficult for someone else to add that support in:)

As much as I like to talk shit about web wallets, this one looks pretty good Smiley  Can anybody host their own version? 

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 07:56:50 PM

Thanks, sorry for my continued questions.  I guess I don't understand the need for such a structure.  The block chain is already sitting there on the disk.  Copying it from one structure to another seems a waste of time and resources, unless I was planning to run a public explorer or something.  I did get it to run with swap but that just means now it takes up twice the hard drive space and lots of copying.  To give you an idea where I am coming from I also consider a bitcoin node to be a resource hog.

The current "structure" for the blockchain is just serialised to disk. Not in a straight-up stream of raw blocks, but in a set of objects including the utxoset, key image set, all transactions, and all block headers (specifically: m_transactions, m_outputs, m_spent_keys, m_blocks, m_blocks_index, m_alternative_chains, m_invalid_blocks, m_tx_pool). In other words, all of the sets have to be unserialised off disk in order to have it the latest bits available.

Using LMDB we go from this:

to this:

That's testnet and mainnet on OS X (hence the dual processes in the second screenshot). Even with very heavy artificial activity I haven't seen my mainnet process go beyond ~80mb.

Since I have your attention, can I get a quick word on the possibility of SPV clients for monero?     

It's not possible based on our current thinking and reasoning, at least not without delegating the same level of trust as you have to with MyMonero. That being said, it's definitely something we're tackling - it was one of the key discussion points at the Monero Research Lab meetup in the USA in November last year.

As much as I like to talk shit about web wallets, this one looks pretty good Smiley  Can anybody host their own version? 

Thanks, we're trying:) We have long-running HSTS and we haven't tried to stupidly write our own PRNG, so at least that's a step in the right direction. We don't have a self-hosted version, but once we've added sufficient functionality to Monero Core we will repurpose some of the MyMonero code and release it so that anyone can host their own web-based wallet.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: