Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:03:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Karpeles the real DPR?  (Read 2052 times)
thriftshopping (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:02:44 AM

http://internet.gawker.com/silk-road-trial-defense-says-mt-gox-ceo-is-the-real-d-1679786377

I am not sure if this article is legit or not, however apparently the Ulbright defense claimed in court today that Mark Karpeles was the "real" DPR that was behind Silk Road.

I somewhat doubt this is true, but I wouldn't mind seeing Karpeles spend time behind bars, be it for loosing/stealing 600k+ BTC or for running Silk Road
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:12:07 AM

read again : https://twitter.com/a_greenberg/status/555862723809259520
thriftshopping (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:27:50 AM

Yea it is apparently true. DHS even went as far as to draft a warrant for his gmail accounts because they thought he was DPR.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:29:06 AM

Cross-post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2skgcr/i_was_at_the_ross_ulbricht_silk_road_trial_day_3/

I was at the Ross Ulbricht / Silk Road Trial Day 3. AMA. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by quodestlicitum

The defense dropped a bomb on the prosecution today. They were able to get the prosecution's own witness to admit that he had opened an investigation of Mark Karpeles and Ashley Barr as being the duo behind the Silk Road. The trial ended with the prosecution objecting to the defense's mention of Mark Karpeles's ownership of the site Bitcointalk.com, shortly after vehemently objecting to mention of a possible deal with Karpeles out of Baltimore to turn over the name of DPR in return for not facing any further prosecution. Crazy crazy day!

[–]i5o
grabs popcorn

Do you personally believe it's possible that Ross Ulbricht's claims are true, and that Mark Karpeles and Ashley Barr were indeed running the site and using him as a scapegoat?

Link to the story for those who haven't read up on it.

[–]quodestlicitum
The truth is I have no idea. But for purposes of the trial, whether I believe it is actually Mark Karpeles or not, isn't relevant. The defense is doing an excellent job of introducing reasonable doubt.

Keep in mind, the defense didn't mention Mark Karpeles in their opening statement. Dratel was able to get all this information out of the government's own witness on cross-examination. The government's own witness thought Karpeles was the invisible hand behind silk road, and that ashley barr was dpr.

Dratel asked Agent DerYaghiayan about information they had subpoenaed from Dwolla, and whether Ulbricht and Karpeles had moved money. Ulbricht had moved a few thousand dollars over 2 years. On the other hand, there was a firehose of money coming from Mt. Gox through Dwolla. Mutem Sigellum (Karepeles' holding company) had a transaction list 1000 pages long.

According to this redditor, DerYaghiayan suspected Ashley Barr was DPR.

Googling "Ashley Barr Bitcoin" turns up the following:

https://jp.linkedin.com/in/ar4sjp

https://twitter.com/ar4s

mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:34:37 AM

Yea it is apparently true. DHS even went as far as to draft a warrant for his gmail accounts because they thought he was DPR.

they thought....but they made a mistake and they got the real drug dealer Smiley
thriftshopping (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:44:11 AM

they thought....but they made a mistake and they got the real drug dealer Smiley
I don't think Ross is even accused of actually selling drugs. The only "deal" that I am aware of is the one that he facilitated to the guy in MD that ended up getting caught. He is however being charged as a drug kingpin
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:56:01 AM

Is this true?
Is there any more evidence confirm this?
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:25:05 AM

I heard the same thing the other day. From the same source(s), theymos is even mentioned.

FYI, in some parts of the world it's Friday.

thriftshopping (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:28:45 AM

Is this true?
Is there any more evidence confirm this?

he just tweeted it isn't him lol
https://twitter.com/MagicalTux/status/555892860654862337
of course he is not going to admit it. The person who the US government thinks is the "real" DPR is being brought up on charges that could result in an live sentence
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 03:20:45 AM

I don't think Ross is even accused of actually selling drugs. The only "deal" that I am aware of is the one that he facilitated to the guy in MD that ended up getting caught. He is however being charged as a drug kingpin

and few fake passports

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2908628/Jury-selection-underway-NYC-Silk-Road-trial.html

" customs and immigrations officials who had intercepted a package of counterfeit IDs from Canada, all with different names but with photos of Ulbricht's face"
MUFC

Activity: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:45:58 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2015, 04:07:42 PM by MUFC

He's not accused of selling drugs but it did look like he set up a trade at least partially, though there's also the fact that he was facilitating the sale of drugs via the site any way  Cheesy. As for Mark being DPR maybe he was involved somehow but I think Ross is just desperately doing what he can to wiggle out of this.

Gervais

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:49:24 PM

Federal agents also said they found incriminating evidence when they searched Mr. Ulbricht’s apartment the day of his arrest. Officials found a crumpled piece of paper in Mr. Ulbricht’s wastebasket that contained details of a buyer and vendor ratings system that matched details of a ratings system posted on a Silk Road discussion forum by Dread Pirate Roberts, Mr. Der-Yeghiayan told jurors. Mr. Ulbricht faces seven criminal charges related to his alleged running of the site.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ross-ulbrichts-lawyers-attempt-to-poke-holes-in-governments-case-1421366899

Roll Eyes. I really don't see how any one would buy this. He was caught red handed. The only thing that interests me about this case is how long he's going down for. It looks like it'll be life to me but this is the first case of it's kind  so it's intriguing.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 03:47:24 PM

yes he is:

https://twitter.com/JimBitcoin/status/556017097223180288

sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 03:55:05 PM

http://internet.gawker.com/silk-road-trial-defense-says-mt-gox-ceo-is-the-real-d-1679786377

I am not sure if this article is legit or not, however apparently the Ulbright defense claimed in court today that Mark Karpeles was the "real" DPR that was behind Silk Road.

I somewhat doubt this is true, but I wouldn't mind seeing Karpeles spend time behind bars, be it for loosing/stealing 600k+ BTC or for running Silk Road

Its all speculation right now and some people saying they have proof, Nothing proved yet.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 04:28:02 PM

But really, it wouldn't surprise me that Karpeles bought Silk Road early on from Ulbricht. When the feds seized dollars from Gox (~July 2013), he knew he was in trouble, being watched, so he went back to Ulbricht, and said "you take S/R. Here are some coins, here's the site." and he transferred Silk Road and a shitload of Gox/SR coins to Ulbricht's custody.

And then when Ulbricht got busted (Oct 2013), the ton of bitcoins were confiscated by the US Marshals. If those were Gox's "cold" storage, mixed with some Silk Road stuff, that would explain where the lost Gox coins went.

At that point, Karpels is scrambling with his Gox business, trying to hold things together, with zero reserve. He writes a bot (willy), to buy bitcoins regularly, in an effort to try to even things up (since he now has people's fiat deposits, but not enough bitcoins). Gox makes money on every transaction, so pumping volume is a good thing. And it gives him a chance to get his bitcoin balance closer to what it needs to be at considering everyone's deposits.

But this plan fails, because the price is rising (and willy isn't helping!). So, things get out of hand - he's actually getting into a bigger hole, because he's depleting his cash by over-paying. He hasn't thought this out.

So at this point, his cash reserves are totally under-funded, and his bitcoin reserves are under-funded. So he starts delaying withdraws.

And then he finally gives up. Blames it all on transaction malleability. There's nothing left. No fiat. No Bitcoins. (it's weird that few people have really questioned where all the fiat went from Gox.)

Karpels knows ultimately he's going to be murdered or go to jail for a long time (or both), so he takes his personal stash (200K BTC) and "finds them" for Gox. (He has subsequently claimed publicly that these were his personal coins, or so I hear.)

Now he sits, waiting for the shoe to drop.

He is fortunate that he was able to hang the DPR stuff on Ulbricht, because it's likely he'll escape that charge, and Ulbricht may actually be able to cast some doubt as to who is DPR, given the ever-changing role of DPR - multiple people, handed off several times, etc. But his day is coming.

astrobitcoin

Activity: 134

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:55:19 PM

wow.. it is amazing the continuous stream of DRAMA the bitcoin world offers.. so entertaining
arvindr

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:47:46 PM

Mark retweeted that he was DPR. Its probably people taking revenge because of mtgox.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 06:18:53 PM

Karpeles after mtgox:

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:05:37 PM

he went back to Ulbricht, and said "you take S/R. Here are some coins, here's the site." and he transferred Silk Road and a shitload of Gox/SR coins to Ulbricht's custody.

And then when Ulbricht got busted (Oct 2013), the ton of bitcoins were confiscated by the US Marshals. If those were Gox's "cold" storage, mixed with some Silk Road stuff, that would explain where the lost Gox coins went.

But why would Karpeles be so dumb so as to hand Ulbricht the gox cold storage? That's the bit I don't get.

(please spare yourselves the "because he *is* dumb" stuff Tongue)
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:10:35 PM

wow.. it is amazing the continuous stream of DRAMA the bitcoin world offers.. so entertaining

Yes, even if Bitcoin fails you'll still have a lot of stories to tell when you're a grandpa. Wink

Although Karpales seems to be a really shady character, I don't believe that he is DPR until further proof.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: