Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:31:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin dignity rule  (Read 2303 times)
TeslaUa (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 09:39:53 PM

How about a cultural consensus on a basic rule of dignity - do not broadcast your donate address.

I do not know... I felt this way every time a stranger enables me to pay him. Somehow it makes me feel that he need money and is poor. And by putting even a little effort to enable me to pay=help him is nudging me. I guess this is primordial and we should consciously honor it and not overuse it.

What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 09:47:00 PM

What would you like me to think? Register your vote by sending 0 for no, or a positive number for yes, to 1NZJmhfN3nGGGBbb8Lgi9t3L9puEZsX8Um

Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 09:48:27 PM

Shut up and send me some bitcoins...      Tongue

Grin

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 09:54:35 PM

I don't think we need a rule per se. But it might be good for people to mention how they perceive it in a place like this thread. Whenever people start using new technology it takes time for norms to develop.

When someone post an addy it makes me think that they either rate themselves very highly or are new and bitcoin broke and possibly regular broke too. The exception is when someone or something they've built is actually awesome and Armory/etotheipi comes to mind. I think that's the only sig addy I've given to in the last year.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 09:57:46 PM

I don't think we need a rule per se.

Oh good, because if we are going to have an actual rule it might as well be a doozy, with built in funding for enforcement, like maybe require all donation addresses to be special script-addresses from which funds can only be released by outputting a certain percentage to the forum police fund or something. Smiley Cheesy

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 10:04:32 PM

I don't think we need a rule per se.

Oh good, because if we are going to have an actual rule it might as well be a doozy, with built in funding for enforcement, like maybe require all donation addresses to be special script-addresses from which funds can only be released by outputting a certain percentage to the forum police fund or something. Smiley Cheesy

-MarkM-

Yeah yeah, I know a hard rule wasn't even suggested, just echoing that.

mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:40:26 PM

I agree. Very tacky to have a BTC address in your sig.  If someone was so damn impressed with your post that they just had to send you money, they'd let you know Cheesy

Plus, I've been curious if anyone ever HAS gotten a "tip" via an addy in their sig.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
ildubbioso

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:48:10 PM

I agree. Very tacky to have a BTC address in your sig.  If someone was so damn impressed with your post that they just had to send you money, they'd let you know Cheesy

Plus, I've been curious if anyone ever HAS gotten a "tip" via an addy in their sig.

No  Angry and I don't understand why   Grin
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 10:54:28 PM

I agree. Very tacky to have a BTC address in your sig.  If someone was so damn impressed with your post that they just had to send you money, they'd let you know Cheesy

As a matter of fact I have received tips and I still don't have a clue who sent them.

But you are right, the ones who gave me significant amounts all asked for an address to send it to and I pointed them to the address on my sig Wink

Now that I talk about this I remember there is still some guy who promised $20 in BTC for something, which I did and he used and still haven't sent the money. Time for a reminder Wink And I'm already losing. $20 in BTC was more BTC last week that it is now lol
TeslaUa (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 11:00:55 PM

But you are right, the ones who gave me significant amounts all asked for an address to send it to and I pointed them to the address on my sig Wink
Dont you think you looked alittle 'cheap' after that? I mean it is one thing to give your bitcoin address on a good quality paper and clear print card like people did in good'ol days and another thing to just put it after your every thought.

P.S. No offence please, I know I am touching feelings part of human being, but we cant talk about it without getting it involved.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 11:13:34 PM

Dont you think you looked alittle 'cheap' after that? I mean it is one thing to give your bitcoin address on a good quality paper and clear print card like people did in good'ol days and another thing to just put it after your every thought.

P.S. No offence please, I know I am touching feelings part of human being, but we cant talk about it without getting it involved.

No. I don't feel cheap.
And if you look at the address on blockchain.info you'll see I've received some significant amounts in there.
Mostly because I really helped someone out, not because they liked my posts for their literary value.
TeslaUa (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 11:21:06 PM

No. I don't feel cheap.
Okay then. Cultural differences are allowed and accepted after all.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:40:30 AM

In my case, the address in my siggy also reinforces my identity through here and bitcoin-otc as I've registered it as my address there too. On the situation that someone is not sure I am who I claim during a bitcoin trade, I can tell the person to just send the coins to my siggy address.
Not to mention the tips I get anonymously sometimes.  Wink
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 07:26:39 AM

If you're into Bitcoin, you need to have a Bitcoin address publicly associated with you.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 07:48:44 AM

If you're into Bitcoin, you need to have a Bitcoin address publicly associated with you.

Why?

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:55:55 AM

What do you think?
"Honor follows no rules."

Or: If you make it a rule then it becomes social convention to do one thing or the other, not a choice of self imposed dignity.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 08:15:10 AM

Why?
It's not dignified for a cobbler to walk around barefoot.

You don't have to agree of course, but I just dislike these threads popping up putting to ridicule this important piece of Bitcoin culture.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 08:55:45 AM

Why?

You don't have to agree of course, but I just dislike these threads popping up putting to ridicule this important piece of Bitcoin culture.

I'm genuinely curious about your reasoning and not set against anything. It just looks like solicitation to me, especially in a place where it can't be construed as spreading bitcoin exposure.

I don't think 'ridicule' really captures what is going on here. But even if it was there is a huge gulf of positions between ridicule and "everyone needs a public address" and while I currently hold a middling position I'm curious about that view.

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 09:19:12 AM

Why?

I'm genuinely curious about your reasoning and not set against anything. It just looks like solicitation to me, especially in a place where it can't be construed as spreading bitcoin exposure.

I don't think 'ridicule' really captures what is going on here. But even if it was there is a huge gulf of positions between ridicule and "everyone needs a public address" and while I currently hold a middling position I'm curious about that view.
A sig address no doubt means different things for different people. One aspect is what I tried to convey, that it is a kind of "ID tag" that people carry around. I also have an address on my business card, along with my name, phone, URL and email. I don't expect to ever actually receive bitcoins to that address.

In addition to this, it is indeed a solicitation of sorts, but I don't see it as desperately begging. I see it as an invitation to a new world, where people express their recognition of someone's contributions in the sincerest form possible, by spending their hard-earned money, rather than empty +1's and likes. Where there's no stigma or psychological barrier to showing someone you care. And where in so doing they demonstrate the power of Bitcoin to send money to anyone in the world easily and cheaply. At least, that's what we once believed, it never really caught on.

Luceo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:49:33 AM

With the success of flattr, we have started to culturally accept that actually intellectual input and help are worth a tip. I don't see anything wrong with offering people a way to 'thank' you for a post. A lot of people give up a lot of their valuable time helping people out on the forum.

I've tipped people via forum signatures, and been tipped via my own. I think, if anything, we're heading to a better place when people don't have a cultural issue with saying 'thanks' with a tip.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: