Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:06:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I hold a short position for months or years ?  (Read 3462 times)
mtwelve
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 04:11:36 PM

If we take last year charts for example and sold at $800 you could have held that $800 (equiv. to one BTC) at beginning of year and could have made out with four BTC by the end. IF you rode the waves you could have made/lost potentially more.

HIRE ME FOR SEO, SOCIAL MEDIA, COPYWRITING, AND MORE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100134.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chaosknight

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:24:27 PM

yes you can hold them for months/years
but make sure you are trading with legit and reputable companies that will not run with your money
mtwelve
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 04:49:04 PM

like bitfinex Cheesy

HIRE ME FOR SEO, SOCIAL MEDIA, COPYWRITING, AND MORE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100134.0
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 05:04:20 PM

but make sure you are trading with legit and reputable companies that will not run with your money

Depends what country you are in, but in the UK you can trade a BTC 'tracker' derivative with fiat margin off exchange, no need for wallet, transfers etc. on long established multi million backed platforms.

Search CFD (contract for difference) trading.

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
stellar1 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:47:59 AM

Depends what country you are in, but in the UK you can trade a BTC 'tracker' derivative with fiat margin off exchange, no need for wallet, transfers etc. on long established multi million backed platforms.

The problem with CFDs are they are mostly run by market makers most of whom are not known to be scruplous. I don't know of a CFD operator that correctly publishes their current volume and if the contracts you are trading does have good volume then yes, fine for short term holding; for long term they tend to apply all sorts of charges.

Correct my impression of CFD operators if outdated or not correct.

Thanks
tmfp
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:04:46 AM

The problem with CFDs are they are mostly run by market makers most of whom are not known to be scruplous. I don't know of a CFD operator that correctly publishes their current volume and if the contracts you are trading does have good volume then yes, fine for short term holding; for long term they tend to apply all sorts of charges.

Thanks

I hear what you're saying.
The CFD industry (which I'm certainly not shilling for) has been around for 40 years now and a big player like IG has a market cap of £2.6 billion and is publicly listed. They took a £25 million hit on the recent Swiss Franc black swan and shrugged it off, whereas one or two smaller outfits went to the wall.
I guess the lesson is to use the big guys, despite a natural inclination to support smaller ventures.
Sure, there are costs of holding long term positions, but that's the nature of things. It depends on personal factors whether you think the overall package is worth the cost.
I'm a full time short term trader and some of the things I see them do, stop hunting etc. irritate me, but then I remind myself that I'm dealing with a bookmaker.
Volume disclosure is only important to me for trading analysis and I get that from the underlying asset stats.
They make reasonable spreads 24/7 and I am not big enough to see any liquidity problems.
Also, the tax situation is clean and simple.
Spread betting (as opposed to CFD) profits are tax exempt, although losses aren't allowable.

TL:DR
Derivative trading is simple and can be useful where the underlying asset (like bitcoin) infrastructure is opaque. Trade with the big guys, keep your wits about you and remember, as they all say  "losses can exceed your deposit".

stellar1 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:51:26 PM

Thanks

The CFD industry (which I'm certainly not shilling for) has been around for 40 years now and a big player like IG has a market cap of £2.6 billion and is publicly listed. They took a £25 million hit on the recent Swiss Franc black swan and shrugged it off, whereas one or two smaller outfits went to the wall.
I guess the lesson is to use the big guys, despite a natural inclination to support smaller ventures.
Sure, there are costs of holding long term positions, but that's the nature of things. It depends on personal factors whether you think the overall package is worth the cost.
I'm a full time short term trader and some of the things I see them do, stop hunting etc. irritate me, but then I remind myself that I'm dealing with a bookmaker.
Volume disclosure is only important to me for trading analysis and I get that from the underlying asset stats.
They make reasonable spreads 24/7 and I am not big enough to see any liquidity problems.
Spread betting (as opposed to CFD) profits are tax exempt, although losses aren't allowable.

Derivative trading is simple and can be useful where the underlying asset (like bitcoin) infrastructure is opaque. Trade with the big guys, keep your wits about you and remember, as they all say  "losses can exceed your deposit".

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look at IG. I am also looking at BitMEX but I guess they need to mature a bit.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 07:45:33 PM

It's called "short" for a reason lol
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 09:27:46 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the informations. IG is bigger and stronger but it could disapear overnight too.
tmfp
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 09:49:49 AM

Thanks for the informations. IG is bigger and stronger but it could disapear overnight too.

Sure, but your money is at risk anytime it's not under your mattress (and then, your bedroom could catch fire Smiley ).
I don't want to sound like I'm trying to sell anything, but read this as part of your due dilligence before making any decisions.

http://www.ig.com/uk/client-funds

Disclaimer:
I have no financial interest in IG or any other CFD provider, apart from using their services with caution.

picolo

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:16:28 AM

Sure, but your money is at risk anytime it's not under your mattress (and then, your bedroom could catch fire Smiley ).
I don't want to sound like I'm trying to sell anything, but read this as part of your due dilligence before making any decisions.

http://www.ig.com/uk/client-funds

Disclaimer:
I have no financial interest in IG or any other CFD provider, apart from using their services with caution.

When your money is under your matress you risk to lose value as the money supply is inflated.
tigerwood0432

Activity: 493
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:09:00 PM

Of course you can . Try okcoin , you can trade btc and ltc futures with 20x leverage , you can short it for a maximum 4 months position without ANY daily fees (only opening trade commission) . If you want to short it for years , then each 4 months =profits delivery , than re-open a short.

okcoin tutorial beginners guide : http://okcoin-tutorial-begginers-guide.blogspot.de/

Regards

▄███████████████████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████████████████
██username 12345█████████████████████████████
███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒███████████████████████████████████
██1234567███12345678██12345678███12345678████
████████████████████████████████████████████
████▒▒▒▒▒▒███████████████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████████████████████████▀
CryptoPay

GET IT NOW
picolo

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 02:36:31 PM

Of course you can . Try okcoin , you can trade btc and ltc futures with 20x leverage , you can short it for a maximum 4 months position without ANY daily fees (only opening trade commission) . If you want to short it for years , then each 4 months =profits delivery , than re-open a short.

okcoin tutorial beginners guide : http://okcoin-tutorial-begginers-guide.blogspot.de/

Regards

When you use futures, you don't have to pay daily fees.
skinbrake

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:40:55 PM

I think holding your position for the long term is about the best bet right now in the Bitcoin market.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: