Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:08:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Kill Switch to Be Armed by DHS on Monday  (Read 6141 times)
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 01:15:11 PM

I would say, "Time to start investing in and developing long range wireless communications hard and software." but wireless jamming is far too easy.
Spread-spectrum wireless communication is very hard to jam.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:25:32 PM

I would say, "Time to start investing in and developing long range wireless communications hard and software." but wireless jamming is far too easy.
most definitely agree. And this white paper linked to from your aritcle, neptop is a very good read.
Let me throw something in too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netsukuku
Scalable Mesh Networks and the Address Space Balancing problem

{tinfoil zone ahead}
Most certainly, it will take a good mixture of technologies to harden against the new "Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions," the order revokes Executive Order 12472, which was issued in April 1984 and defined the National Communication System (NCS).
 Homeland Security will "satisfy priority requirements through the use of commercial, Government, and privately owned communications resources..."

The issue it not that it is assumed this orer is directly stating that to 'secure' and 'harden' NCS communications will require 'temporary' removal of civilian capabilities. It's that it will require that in order to fulfill its goals. My view on it is not so much that the government has it out for us. It is that in 'protecting' us they will find need to restrict us unduely and the only available government 'propaganda' in such a situation will not be enough to satisfy our human desire to also grant our own security.

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:52:00 PM

most definitely agree. And this white paper linked to from your aritcle, neptop is a very good read.
Let me throw something in too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netsukuku
Scalable Mesh Networks and the Address Space Balancing problem

{tinfoil zone ahead}
Most certainly, it will take a good mixture of technologies to harden against the new "Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions," the order revokes Executive Order 12472, which was issued in April 1984 and defined the National Communication System (NCS).
 Homeland Security will "satisfy priority requirements through the use of commercial, Government, and privately owned communications resources..."

The issue it not that it is assumed this orer is directly stating that to 'secure' and 'harden' NCS communications will require 'temporary' removal of civilian capabilities. It's that it will require that in order to fulfill its goals. My view on it is not so much that the government has it out for us. It is that in 'protecting' us they will find need to restrict us unduely and the only available government 'propaganda' in such a situation will not be enough to satisfy our human desire to also grant our own security.

cheers

http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: