Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:56:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Bitcoin Box' Can Process Payments With No Web Connection  (Read 1996 times)
fenghush

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 07:28:09 PM

If the channel is not encrypted regardless if it's bluetooth, the internet or nfc the data exchanged can be tampered.

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 10:44:23 AM

Why is Bluetooth insecure for Bitcoin transactions? I don't understand. Transactions are already sent signed, so it's not like someone could tamper them, or can they?

I don't know if it is possible "tamper" a transaction when it was sent, maybe you can modify it before but not  during/after the sending.

OK, so sending the transaction via Bluetooth is secure. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe the other ones who said it's insecure can answer me.

I would like to  read a reply from those users that have told it is not secure , can you explain better ? Thanks.
nextblast

Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 10:56:43 AM

That's a good invention.
No one's gonna steal your coin in this way!
But how does one send coin if the wallet has long been offline? (No information of TX in)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 11:41:20 AM

After reading more about this, I found the title confusing. I assumed the merchant could somehow process a payment without a web connection.

But the merchant needs a web connection and the user can sign a transaction and pay without a web connection, sending the signed payment over Bluetooth.

But if you have a cell phone, it is very likely that you already have an Internet connection.

If it could be done where the merchant does not need a connection, that would be revolutionary. I have no idea how it would be done though.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
enryk

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

GreenCoin

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 11:45:54 AM

"A prototype cryptocurrency point-of-sales (POS) terminal called Bitcoin Box can process transactions without the need for an Internet connection. Instead it relies on Near Field Communications (NFC) and Bluetooth to enable payments."

I think this is a great news, and in the next 5-6 years the bitcoin will be more easily to use.

Source : http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-box-can-process-payments-web-connection/

I think this will change almost everything, as it will allow merchants in poor parts of the world without a net connection to accept payments as well, and later like in a bank get it converted to fiat.
However the volatility would have to be stable at that point.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 11:54:29 AM

I think this will change almost everything, as it will allow merchants in poor parts of the world without a net connection to accept payments as well, and later like in a bank get it converted to fiat.

The title is misleading...the merchant needs a net connection.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 12:06:44 PM

As I understand :

The buyer doesn't need an internet connection , but the seller (merchant) should have an internet connection. 

Here a demonstration :

- http://andyschroder.com/BitcoinFluidDispenser/
kenbytes

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 12:27:54 PM

what a brilliant idea! Can´t wait to see that feature!

coa032

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 12:32:45 PM

Well, this is still first version of bitcoin box. Over the years they will probably find the way for security issues and stuff like that, but anyway great news.
R2D221

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 01:40:41 PM

If the channel is not encrypted regardless if it's bluetooth, the internet or nfc the data exchanged can be tampered.

Yes, but Bitcoin transactions are signed, so any tampering between the sender and the receiver would result in an invalid transaction, right?

Or maybe the hacker just replaces the transaction with an entirely different one, which makes no sense to me, since they can just send it from the beginning anyway.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 07:04:35 PM

There could be a danger of a MITM attack, though. The sender must be sure they are sending to the correct address.
That's the basic problem with authenticating to a new device via an omnidirectional radio signal. You don't really know who you're talking to, and you have no shared secret prior to authenticating.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 07:16:03 PM

so ,if I have understood it

This transmits the tx to the network instead of waiting to receive it, isn't it?
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:49:31 AM

There could be a danger of a MITM attack, though. The sender must be sure they are sending to the correct address.
That's the basic problem with authenticating to a new device via an omnidirectional radio signal. You don't really know who you're talking to, and you have no shared secret prior to authenticating.

So this system is not "secure" .... Maybe they will change way  , I don't know.
fenghush

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:53:35 AM

Yes, but Bitcoin transactions are signed, so any tampering between the sender and the receiver would result in an invalid transaction, right?

Or maybe the hacker just replaces the transaction with an entirely different one, which makes no sense to me, since they can just send it from the beginning anyway.

I wouldn't be 100% confident to say no attacks are possible, remains to be seen, tested, audited properly.

roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 04:38:12 AM

and hope we will see much more variety of Process Payments to experiment with in the near future.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 06:09:41 AM

As I understand :

The buyer doesn't need an internet connection , but the seller (merchant) should have an internet connection.  

Here a demonstration :

- http://andyschroder.com/BitcoinFluidDispenser/

From there I presume once the transaction between two parties is done via nfc is completed, the merchant will then need to broadcast to the network for it to get written to the blockchain. But what if before that was done, can the sender perform a double spend?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: