Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:30:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Purpose Mining Rig  (Read 2293 times)
grand_illusion (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:11:59 PM

I've got an HP Proliant Microserver sitting in a closet doing what it does. It's on 24 hours, it gets used for serving files and converting an occasional DVD for XBMC. That's about it.

I've been reading a lot about mining and I'm thinking about pre-ordering a Jalepeno from Butterfly Labs just for fun. It's fairly cheap, I'm not looking to get rich, just learn something and break even. I've got cheap electricity costs (about $0.065 in summer and $0.05 in winter) so I thought this might be possible.

My question is, does anyone have dual purpose mining computers? I read a lot about getting low power CPUs just to connect your FPGA to, but could I plug in one of these little USB guys (assuming they ever come out) and have my server continue to serve while the ASIC mines?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:44:17 PM

My question is, does anyone have dual purpose mining computers? I read a lot about getting low power CPUs just to connect your FPGA to, but could I plug in one of these little USB guys (assuming they ever come out) and have my server continue to serve while the ASIC mines?

modern miner software generally allows this.

asic hardware hasn't come out yet so nobody can confirm 100% but asic miners should allow this dual use as well.
grand_illusion (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 04:01:48 PM

I didn't find much on people "dual purposing" their builds. I'll have to do some more digging. I'm actually thinking of upgrading my HTPC and getting an FPGA to go in it (I want to stream HD video). I figured I could use the FPGA while the HTPC was down, at least until this fall... allegedly.

It seems like most people are building big rigs to make a bunch of BTC. I'd like to see a "just screwing around and having some fun" mining forum  Smiley
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 04:12:27 PM

I didn't find much on people "dual purposing" their builds.

dual purpose goes like this.  install driver and miner.  click minimize.  do other stuff.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:27:14 PM

I've got an HP Proliant Microserver sitting in a closet doing what it does. It's on 24 hours, it gets used for serving files and converting an occasional DVD for XBMC. That's about it.

I've been reading a lot about mining and I'm thinking about pre-ordering a Jalepeno from Butterfly Labs just for fun. It's fairly cheap, I'm not looking to get rich, just learn something and break even. I've got cheap electricity costs (about $0.065 in summer and $0.05 in winter) so I thought this might be possible.

I built a highly impractical GPU miner with 3x7970s as a gaming PC/miner - I just set the GPUs to dynamic difficulty and I can actually play games at 60fps whilst still mining @1.2Ghash or so in the background  Cheesy
The rest of the time, ~1.85Ghash/s

If you've got electricity that cheap I'd look into getting some cheap GPUs, as they will still be worth something if BFLs ASICs make it out before february and ruin your GPU mining fun  Tongue
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:08:01 PM

I built a highly impractical GPU miner with 3x7970s as a gaming PC/miner - I just set the GPUs to dynamic difficulty and I can actually play games at 60fps whilst still mining @1.2Ghash or so in the background  Cheesy
The rest of the time, ~1.85Ghash/s

If you've got electricity that cheap I'd look into getting some cheap GPUs, as they will still be worth something if BFLs ASICs make it out before february and ruin your GPU mining fun  Tongue

This.

I built a mining/gaming computer with 3X6970, 16gb ddr3 mem, intel i2600k, asus maximus IV extreme p67 b3 mobo -- the works.  I can mine with it and play games and do full-on music production with it simultaneously. 

I opted for the 4-year warranty so I don't have to worry about 24/7 usage.  I get free electricity and have already recouped 1/2 of my investment in 7 months through mining profits and trading.  Plus, I'll still be able to sell this thing for $1000-$1500 in 3 years.  I have 3 Jalapenos on the way but I still plan on being able to mine with the 6970's for at least a good year and still see decent returns.

Essentially I just bought a "free" kick ass computer  Cheesy
laith5477

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 11:23:09 PM

i am building my rig now , and i am thinking about using it as home server on the same time for file sharing , i already ordered 10  Jalepeno  but i am expecting thing to go crazy with ASIC bitcoin will change big time when ASIC is out
Chaplin

Activity: 52

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 11:38:13 PM

Before I heard about the ASICs, I was thinking of building a new rig that would double as a miner and a home theater PC. I live in a dorm and don't want case fans to keep me up all night in my bedroom, but I could set a PC out in the living room to run 24/7. Playing movies barely uses any graphics power anymore, so why not?
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:32:34 PM

Before I heard about the ASICs, I was thinking of building a new rig that would double as a miner and a home theater PC. I live in a dorm and don't want case fans to keep me up all night in my bedroom, but I could set a PC out in the living room to run 24/7. Playing movies barely uses any graphics power anymore, so why not?
If the 7990 came out sooner I'd probably have done this - Silverstone to a mini-itx case that can accomodate 14-inch graphics cards and full-size ATX PSUs  Wink
emcg

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 06:21:15 AM

There are a few more choices (other than silverstone) for ITX boxes just around the corner.
Have a look at the Bit Fenix Prodigy, Cooler Master Elite 120 and Fractal Design node 304.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: