Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:54:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LFTR and Market Failures  (Read 8426 times)
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:28:44 PM

+1 for the digital narcotic Skyrim!

Why bother with LFTR when coal is cheaper?  Coal is cheaper than regular nuclear too.

When we run out of coal and natural gas and oil... then business will invest in new things.

No market failure, this is the market working to bring you stuff as cost effectively as possible - unlike government that doesn't care about cost and will reduce your standard of living for pipe dreams.  Most voters aren't even aware of things like capital cost when supporting these pipe dreams, and their representatives pander to their ignorance.

Is anyone aware on this forum about the promise of LFTR technology?  

http://superfuelbook.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4

Go to Youtube and search LFTR.  Watch about 6 hours of the videos that are available.  

Then go to this site:

http://energyfromthorium.com/

and read as much of the documentation as you can muster.

Then come back to me and explain why the "Free Market" or "Private Enterprise" or "Free Enterprise" hasn't been able to build another one of these, after the prototype, in the past 40-ish years.

You can do that after you admit that the technology also solely exists because of Government funded research to begin with.

Wink

sighs.

Short sighted market operation bringing you the most cost effective solutions while externalizing the cost of anything and everything that can possibly be externalized.

In other words.  Business has a narrow focus and any resultant costs from their operation that are not immediately realized and easily avoided will be avoided.

The market is not without serious flaws.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 06:30:44 PM

sighs.

Short sighted market operation bringing you the most cost effective solutions while externalizing the cost of anything and everything that can possibly be externalized.

In other words.  Business has a narrow focus and any resultant costs from their operation that are not immediately realized and easily avoided will be avoided.

Externalities are only an issue when government gives a business a license to pollute.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:32:51 PM

When we run out of coal and natural gas and oil... then business will invest in new things.

That's the free market at work for you, absolutely. Short sighted and exploitative to the end.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:38:15 PM

That's the free market at work for you, absolutely. Short sighted and exploitative to the end.

I never really understood why people thought like this, businesses consist of people like you. Is there something stopping you from starting a business that considers long-term costs of its actions?
niemivh (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:53:59 PM

With intellectual acumen like this, sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

Cheesy

At least you're starting to understand that you are overmatched.

Overmatched in numbers?  Most assuredly.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
bb113

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:56:15 PM

Cheesy

You just recommended watching a bunch of youtube videos as research... that is a clear signal you know less about this subject than you think.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:58:10 PM

I never really understood why people thought like this, businesses consist of people like you. Is there something stopping you from starting a business that considers long-term costs of its actions?

LOL.

Do you not recall our conversation where I brought up Frederick Seitz? The point isn't what business I might start. The point is what others do to destroy it for the rest of us in the meantime.
niemivh (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:58:37 PM

+1 for the digital narcotic Skyrim!

Why bother with LFTR when coal is cheaper?  Coal is cheaper than regular nuclear too.

No market failure, this is the market working to bring you stuff as cost effectively as possible - unlike government that doesn't care about cost and will reduce your standard of living for pipe dreams.  Most voters aren't even aware of things like capital cost when supporting these pipe dreams, and their representatives pander to their ignorance.

Is anyone aware on this forum about the promise of LFTR technology?  

http://superfuelbook.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4

Go to Youtube and search LFTR.  Watch about 6 hours of the videos that are available.  

Then go to this site:

http://energyfromthorium.com/

and read as much of the documentation as you can muster.

Then come back to me and explain why the "Free Market" or "Private Enterprise" or "Free Enterprise" hasn't been able to build another one of these, after the prototype, in the past 40-ish years.

You can do that after you admit that the technology also solely exists because of Government funded research to begin with.

Wink

sighs.

In "failure", I mean what it has been meant in the past regarding the term "Market Failure", that is when the Market fails to provide the most socially useful results even if all actors pursue their own (myopic) 'best interests'.  That is what the term means and that is what I meant by it.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 06:59:16 PM

Why bother with LFTR when coal is cheaper?  Coal is cheaper than regular nuclear too.

Because coal is incredibly bad for people's health and the environment. What is the point of profit when we do not have a planet to live on? Roll Eyes

Besides, fossil fuels are guarenteed a costant rise in price as the supply dwindles and demand grows with population growth. The sooner we can switch to renewable sources of energy that are not limited to an ever decreasing supply, the better for not only the environment but the economy.

Don't use BIPS!
niemivh (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:03:15 PM

Cheesy

You just recommended watching a bunch of youtube videos as research... that is a clear signal you know less about this subject than you think.

Rather than this type of worthless banter regarding what you think I think and what I think you think I think we know, why don't you just spend some time watching those videos or reading the documentation on the website?  Is that too hard?  You people (the general forum audience) are so damnably lazy.

niemivh (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:05:36 PM

Why bother with LFTR when coal is cheaper?  Coal is cheaper than regular nuclear too.

Because coal is incredibly bad for people's health and the environment. What is the point of profit when we do not have a planet to live on? Roll Eyes

Besides, fossil fuels are guarenteed a costant rise in price as the supply dwindles and demand grows with population growth. The sooner we can switch to renewable sources of energy that are not limited to an ever decreasing supply, the better for not only the environment but the economy.

+1

Also that a private cabal/cartel has the nation's throat in their grip by being able to control and manipulate energy prices and availability.  I want freedom and freedom means self-sufficiency, national energy independence.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 07:11:48 PM

I want freedom

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
bb113

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 07:14:01 PM

LOL.

Do you not recall our conversation where I brought up Frederick Seitz? The point isn't what business I might start. The point is what others do to destroy it for the rest of us in the meantime.

So in essence the real issue people have is is with short-sighted people being in charge of stuff.
niemivh (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 08:05:58 PM

Is this closer to the idea of "freedom" of this forum:

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 07:29:56 AM

LOL.

So in essence the real issue people have is is with short-sighted people being in charge of stuff.

That's an issue, to be sure, but why would you come up with that based upon what I said to you unless you were trying to be clever and engaging in misdirection? Ironically, isn't that what my post was really about?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 07:52:12 AM

More like this:
exemption from external control, interference, regulation, etc.

bb113

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 07:57:05 AM

LOL.

That's an issue, to be sure, but why would you come up with that based upon what I said to you unless you were trying to be clever and engaging in misdirection? Ironically, isn't that what my post was really about?

I came up with that because I am looking to discover why we differ in opinion, and believe that the best way is to go back to first principles and underlying assumptions held by each party and see where they differ.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 11:28:10 PM

Neutron bump.

This shit has always puzzled me, (Market failure...)
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 11:51:28 PM

Neutron bump.

This shit has always puzzled me, (Market failure...)

Well, what we have here is not market failure, but a market distortion caused by government throwing other people's money around.

niemivh (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:13:43 PM

More like this:
exemption from external control, interference, regulation, etc.

Does "nature" qualify as a form of external control?  How about famine?  How about disease?  How about age and infirmity?  Do any of those qualify as impinging on freedom, and if not, why not?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: