Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:12:53 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sucks its nearly impossible to sell tangible goods for BTC!  (Read 3186 times)
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:42:09 PM

Lol, just saw I'm listed Smiley If anyone has a desperate need for a antique gearbox I can probably do something on the shipping Wink

Dammit, wouldn't you know it, I'm all out of Unimogs at the moment.

Another bitcoin classified, a year to 18 months ago, I remember seeing a whole one for sale, was that you?

I don't think so but it could have been, I'd put a 60's merc estate on bitmit around then but don't remember listing a mog, they're absolutely stupid amounts of fun so I don't like saying goodbye to them Smiley Don't remember seeing one elsewhere for BTC though, maybe missed it but there wasn't a whole lot of options back then.

Doing large btc tx  in person is very risky tho. If i'm a buyer i wouldnt meet some stranger with tens thousands $ worth of btc on me.

BTC is great for micropayments and online, digital tx. But until there is Bank-like bitcoin service (escrow) doing large btc tx in person is not for me.

Do keep up, multisig escrow with no third party has been around for at least 6 months.

You missed my point completely, what does multisig do for me when a gun is pointed at my head to sign the tx? The point is meeting a stranger who has opportunity to rob you.

Having a 3rd party service means even the stranger kills me, they got nothing. Like a BANK card (taking it is meaningless)

What about taking it and kindly asking you for the PIN by putting a gun to your head?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 05:44:30 PM

He's right, you know.  You can't give someone your Bank card PIN number at gunpoint.  You can only give them your multisig.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:56:14 PM

Doing large btc tx  in person is very risky tho. If i'm a buyer i wouldnt meet some stranger with tens thousands $ worth of btc on me.

BTC is great for micropayments and online, digital tx. But until there is Bank-like bitcoin service (escrow) doing large btc tx in person is not for me.

Nonsense. I have sold many of my high value cars and properties, and the experience would have been always better with bitcoin.
BitsforMacs_Trav

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 07:38:03 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2015, 08:21:53 PM by BitsforMacs_Trav

It's brand new.  We cannot expect the non internet savvy masses to jump in so quickly.  My best friend did not even know what BTC was until I asked him yesterday and had to explain it.  We should be selling to each other and keep the savings in the family.  Think of how much we are going to save and make in the long run anyway.  Just sell to people that know what BTC is.

That being said! -- If you need apple products please visit my URL: http://bitsformacs.com/?wpam_refkey=6
You can buy Macs, iPhones and iPads with Bitcoins.  I have discounts available as well 5% off and 8% off purchases, PM me for more information!

Super excited to be here with you guys.  Bitcoins future is unstoppable, hoping the Government doesn't jump in and try to regulate us too soon!

Peace
Trav
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 11:47:33 PM

Nonsense. I have sold many of my high value cars and properties, and the experience would have been always better with bitcoin.

Where did you sell those locally? do you live in silicon valley?
ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:17:50 AM

We already had an eBay-kind of site already: bitmit. I guess the reason it closed down was that is wasn't operated very professionally and the people just didn't want to deal with all the hassle that comes with operating such a site!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

When paychecks are in BTC, it will be easy to sell goods for BTC.
ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:23:55 AM

Yeah, but will people want to receive their paychecks in BTC? Do they get to chose whether to receive their pay in BTC or will they have to adapt? I guess most people will still stick to their regular FIAT currency!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:25:26 AM

I sold a car for $26K in BTC last year. I've also sold BTC for $4-5K cash on a regular basis back when I was mining "too much". Never once had a problem. Well actually, once somebody gave me 2 fake $20 bills, but that was it really.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:33:16 AM

Yeah, but will people want to receive their paychecks in BTC? Do they get to chose whether to receive their pay in BTC or will they have to adapt? I guess most people will still stick to their regular FIAT currency!

Yes, they will.  The majority of people will want paychecks in BTC when they see many other people have paychecks in BTC.  Who will jump on board first?  The innovators, the risk-takers, and the wealthy, just like it's always been.

They will likely get to choose their ratio of BTC to fiat.  This is already possible with BitPay.

People will stick to fiat currency until people don't stick to it.  How many chicken-and-egg tests does BTC need to pass before people realize that these sort of problems have a natural way of working themselves out?  "But who will make the first transaction?" It happened.  "But what merchant will accept something hardly anyone uses?"  It happened.  "But who will buy BTC if hardly anyone accepts it?"  It happened.   It will happen again, and it will keep happening.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 02:11:30 AM

I sold miners for Bitcoin. No escrow, people sent ahead.

However, if you pay on delivery and the shipping is cheap, people here will prefer old money. Plus since it's miners, they are selling their old money for Bitcoin, so maybe not the best example.
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:31:36 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2015, 07:20:45 AM by tss

sorry never heard of "bitcoin city" Madeira Beach

sell it for fiat.  when the buyer is ready direct them to circle or coinbase.
bSpend

Activity: 433
Merit: 271

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 08:17:24 AM

There is more than 10 million items in bspend.com database. Possible to filter by shipping location and other criteria. I think it's not the lack of choice of products, rather there are these 2 issues about btc use in e-commerce:

1) most of ppl got into it to make money, holding and hoping it will make them rich. I think the bubble deflation was thus useful to knock people out of this get quick rich attitude and start thinking about using the damn technology for something useful.
2) The merchants still don't give discounts that would motivate the customers to use btc payment option

What we need to get the "energy" back your talking about is another big country like China. Have we done everything possible to promote Bitcoin in India? There's over a billion of them too.

Doing it... dont worry... wait a few more months Wink

I know you're working on it but one man is not an island.

There are more people working on Bitcoin in India than one can imagine. The problem is that, they are struggling to get a legal identity and hence unable to come up in open to the community. At this early stage, what the most of them need is "a bit of love". I have seen multiple businesses coming to this forum for promotion and being called as outright scam for no apparent reason. This way, the bitcoin people are losing their own opportunity. The Chinese & Indian can create the demand for Bitcoin that no other country in the world can. But, if the businesses does not grow there, if the bitcoin does not circulate their, if the bitcoin developers can not breathe there, the demand will never be created...

It's good news that there's a large group promoting bitcoin in India. I hope cultural differences between the two won't keep Bitcoin from being as important in India as it was in China. The Chinese have very limited investment opportunities and are very big gamblers. I play Pai Gow poker with a bunch of Chinese friends and they make it sound like the Chinese would rather gamble than breathe. I thought Indian people were frugal and conscientious with their money, is that true?

We are working on bringing BTMs to various countries, partnering with Easybit llc. Got first BTM in Croatia, found location for the second Thai BTM and now working on getting the first BTM to Saigon, Vietnam. I just came back from Mumbai, India and talked to various ppl trying just to find a location and operator while fully investing in a Bitaccess 2-way, shipping and customs. I still don't have a location in India! Ppl seem to be very afraid of the government even though the central bank gave quite a positive/neutral statement. Half of the companies listed on coinmap.org don't even accept Bitcoin any more. I found some potential partners at Techfest at IIT but nothing conclusive yet.
Gervais

Activity: 366

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:43:43 AM

Only thing is using a visa typically costs the merchant money, not the consumer. only if everyone started using btc, and the merchant noticed and then lowered prices would you save money.  Moreover, the money you could lose by a 10-30% swing in btc price/USD will greatly outweigh any transaction cost savings.

I've seen quite a few places offer a discount for BTC on account of that, it could do a lot to encourage adoption but not heard any figures for it and I'd imagine they're be very hard to get.

Yeah I think Dell did initially, but only on their alienware comp's.  Overstock may have too on certain goods, but def not enough places that your average joe would decide to go figure out how to use btc, buy some, then use it to save a few dollars. Seems like these offers only got current users/holders to spend some they already had.

This sort of thing is the big benefit of bitcoin to merchants and hopefully they'll realize that over time but sadly the general public usually doesn't realize a good thing so it can take time but it if we keep spreading the word and have faith hopefully this will change... but it wont come overnight.
MUFC

Activity: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:47:31 AM

^I agree. Hold that bitcoin and you'll likely be able to spend it at some point on the things you want and by then it should have risen by a considerable amount so It'll hopefully be a decent investment too, then we get to spend it on things we actually want. I also agree that it is disappointing that we can't buy much with it currently in the grand scheme of things but this will grow over the next couple of years.

blumangroup

Activity: 350

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:49:07 AM

Yes, they will.  The majority of people will want paychecks in BTC when they see many other people have paychecks in BTC.  Who will jump on board first?  The innovators, the risk-takers, and the wealthy, just like it's always been.
I disagree with this. people will want to get paid in bitcoin if they can easily spend their bitcoin and the value is stable. Just because most people get paid a certain way does not mean others will want to join the bandwaggon.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:55:15 AM

Onewallet.io is pretty cool and although small (at the moment) is like an eBay for Bitcoin: http://www.onewallet.io/

BitMit was awesome I miss that site. Anything else like that still around?

PaulPierce

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:06:58 PM

Onewallet.io is pretty cool and although small (at the moment) is like an eBay for Bitcoin: http://www.onewallet.io/

Onewallet looks cool.!! yeah even I miss bitmit.!! used to be awesome.!

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:08:20 PM

Onewallet looks cool.!! yeah even I miss bitmit.!! used to be awesome.!

Maybe I should make a new BitMit  Grin
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:45:13 PM

I disagree with this. people will want to get paid in bitcoin if they can easily spend their bitcoin and the value is stable. Just because most people get paid a certain way does not mean others will want to join the bandwaggon.

It would be disadvantageous not to join the wagon.  If most people get paid a certain way, that alone indicates that people would easily be able to spend their BTC.  Also, volatility smooths out as more people join, generally speaking.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: