Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:02:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NYSE invests in bitcoin ecosystem  (Read 4339 times)
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 02:48:19 PM

I'd say we have a long way to go before Bitcoin dies for good.  

Remember to whistle a deceptively cheerful tune as you trudge to the gallows.

Bitcoin:  Your living will envy the dead.
jaredboice

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:41:31 PM

"NotLambchop: This Obvious Serial Troll is currently ignored."  Cheesy
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:09:27 PM

No money went into btc directly.

LOL. ! That's probably the most feeble attempt at bitcoin fud I've ever seen.

Think you'd better have another go. Maybe try the "$300 million is nothing" angle ? Or "it's just a tax write off" ?
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:22:26 PM

What is it about "investing in PayPal is not investing in USD" that you find so difficult to grasp?
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:26:20 PM

What is it about "investing in PayPal is not investing in USD" that you find so difficult to grasp?

Investing in Paypal is investing in the potential profit to be made in USD remittance

Investing in Coinbase is investing in the potential profit to be made in BTC remittance

I can see the case for both. I can see the risks in both. Probably I'm not your target audience though.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
NotLambchop

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:37:09 PM

PayPal works regardless of USD price, so knowing that USD is going to tank should not dissuade me from investing in PayPal.
Coinbase works regardless of BTC price, so knowing that BTC is going to tank should not dissuade me from investing in Coinbase.
Did this help?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:49:18 PM

This is some of the best Bitcoin news in history, and the market will react eventually.   Smiley

Eamorr

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:54:59 PM

This is some of the best Bitcoin news in history, and the market will react eventually.   Smiley

The converse (the market won't react instantly) is also equally valid in the wonderful abstracted world of Bitcoin.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2015, 01:43:10 PM

First NYSE has stake in a Bitcoin company, now the Winklevii bringing a fully regulated, compliant exchange for both Institutions and Individual alike:

https://blog.gemini.com/welcome-to-gemini/

Time to buckle up gents.  It's going to be a very good 2015.  Bounce back year from the downward slope that was 2014.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 01:53:32 PM

The converse (the market won't react instantly) is also equally valid in the wonderful abstracted world of Bitcoin.

Capitulation is still too close for the market to react immediately, but for sure this will eventually play a part in a future rise.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3433
Merit: 4368

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 02:21:00 PM

Major news, getting very exited about it!

But impressive as it is, Wall Street's sudden desire to invest in Bitcoin is only one sign of bigger things to come for Bitcoin in 2015...

They must see tremendous potential in Bitcoin to dump millions of dollars into cryptocurrency startups. And now traditional investors are seeing that potential, too.

The number of merchants accepting Bitcoin exploded from 36,000 to 82,000. The number of Bitcoin wallets more than doubled from 3.19 million to 7.95 million. Bitcoin ATMs went from just four to 341.

"In the beginning, you get these wild speculative types, then slowly the numbers get bigger, then the suits move in," Glocer, the former Thomson Reuters CEO, told The Wall Street Journal . "And you wake up one day and it's a billion-dollar business."

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/big-wall-street-players-investing-in-bitcoin-startup-cm435611#ixzz3PedXhpAG

2015 will be so awsome, buy youre extra (full) coins now before waking up somewhere in this year and its all gone with this uber cheap coins.
Eamorr

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 07:39:20 PM

Is it even more exciting when you write it in bold?
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:29:56 PM

It shows how much Bitcoin has already become 'a thing' where the big money is! They know about it, and a lot of people are very eager and willing to put some money in, at least 'pocket money'. And if you know who those people are, you know 'pocket money' isn't what pocket money is for us people! Cheesy

sed

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 09:46:28 PM

I hope this thread is right.  I've got a few btc that I would sell off if the price goes high again.  However, if they prices stays the same or drops, I'll just HODL till  the ground.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:05:01 AM

I also think it's a very good thing to get a lot of FIAT into the actual backbone and infrastructure of Bitcoin and not only into the currency itself. Sure, it's tempting to see millions of USD flowing into BTC, but the ecosystem needs to sustain and justify the high prices, as well!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 06:43:02 AM

I also think it's a very good thing to get a lot of FIAT into the actual backbone and infrastructure of Bitcoin and not only into the currency itself. Sure, it's tempting to see millions of USD flowing into BTC, but the ecosystem needs to sustain and justify the high prices, as well!

it is good if you know what you are doing and have good capital. Otherwise you might do bad stuff or get scammed and lose all your money.

For people that don't understand the technicals buy BTC might be better
DoubleTrouble

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 06:54:28 AM

it is good if you know what you are doing and have good capital. Otherwise you might do bad stuff or get scammed and lose all your money.

Exactly it means people have faith in the big companies behind bitcoin (The companies help to give it value imo)

Eamorr

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 10:02:13 AM

Exactly it means people have faith in the big companies behind bitcoin (The companies help to give it value imo)

Bitcoin is not a religion (though it seems to be for a lot of folks around here).
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 05:48:50 PM

Bitcoin is not a religion (though it seems to be for a lot of folks around here).

So what, having faith is a valid word outside religious context. We have faith in Bitcoin in the sense of we think thinks will turn out good for it given evidence (aka, all other alternatives are crap and Bitcoin is the original and has all the network power effect).
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 05:53:30 PM

So what, having faith is a valid word outside religious context. We have faith in Bitcoin in the sense of we think thinks will turn out good for it given evidence (aka, all other alternatives are crap and Bitcoin is the original and has all the network power effect).

Some people even have faith in "Technical" Analysis.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: