Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:22:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit bug, i lost my btc  (Read 5073 times)
f3tus

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 09:39:41 AM

Any update on the logs, steauacris89?
f3tus

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 01:25:44 PM

Here's what Mike Hearn said:

The coins are gone. Getting them back would require everyone in the Bitcoin network to upgrade to a version that re-allocated them to him and that would be politically tricky.

I have no idea how that can happen except through broken hardware or some kind of problematic key import. But MultiBit is based on a very old version of my software. Years old, by now. They have been working on a total rewrite of MultiBit for a long time. Newer versions have more self checks to try and catch issues with private keys or bad memory but the downloadable MultiBit version doesn't have them.

Maybe this happened due to you having corrupt RAM somehow.
steauacris89 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 12:03:14 PM

I come back with updates .
They told me to wait again and nothing .
Now they dont respond on my messages .
Is not normal whats happened .:|
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 11:50:32 PM

Here's what Mike Hearn said:

The coins are gone. Getting them back would require everyone in the Bitcoin network to upgrade to a version that re-allocated them to him and that would be politically tricky.

I have no idea how that can happen except through broken hardware or some kind of problematic key import. But MultiBit is based on a very old version of my software. Years old, by now. They have been working on a total rewrite of MultiBit for a long time. Newer versions have more self checks to try and catch issues with private keys or bad memory but the downloadable MultiBit version doesn't have them.

Maybe this happened due to you having corrupt RAM somehow.

Sorry for the obviously ignorant question, but which pieces did Mike Hearn write?  Or what is the subproject that I should know him from?
f3tus

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:29:33 AM

The bitcoinJ library and he's also a core developer of Bitcoin/Bitcoin-qt. And Lighthouse recently, a decentralized crowdfunding platform.
steauacris89 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 12:32:59 PM

I just want back my btc from the Multibit owners . Thats all
They pay me my lost and i close the subject .
I am tired to write posts and feel angry .
I want a respons from a Multibit owner because on github they always tell me to wait .
And i wait for about 3 weeks .
I want they to compensate with my lost and i close the subject .
steauacris89 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:35:51 PM

I have the Multibit owners answer

" Hello Cristi,
I cannot comment on your previous post as I neither saw it nor deleted it.

I have looked through the wallet you supplied to me on Sunday.

Unfortunately your hypothesis that the change output tx are unspendable is correct.
I have written up the pertinent details of this issue as a blog article on multibit.org describing what happened and our recommended steps for improvements.

It is here:
https://multibit.org/blog/2015/02/02/wallet-forensics.html

Regards,

Jim "

What you all say about this answer ?? I am very nervous because i wait 3 weeks to receive a answer like this :|
ujka

Activity: 630

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:53:57 PM

They did take some time to look into your subject, but they did a very detailed forensic. Read the blog.
They found the problem in two private keys (second and third key in the wallet), most likely imported into wallet using "Tools | Import private key" command in April 2014.
sed

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:08:10 PM

Sorry to OP for the loss.  This did turn out to be a very strange situation.  I'm glad to know a little more about it and I'll be looking carefully at that forensic report.  At first glance it seems like they still don't know how the OP imported privkeys of 000000...

f3tus

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:25:35 PM

In the MultiBit log we record when the user shows the "Tools | Import private key" screen but we do not record the actual private keys imported for privacy reasons. In our opinion by far the most likely way these specific private key values were inserted into the wallet is that the user was experimenting with the private key import capability in MultiBit Classic.

This was in April 2014.

I install Multibit in December 2014 on a new laptop.

You installed MultiBit on a new laptop in December, but you generated the wallet on another PC in April, correct? Well, it's unfortunate, but it does seem like this is actually your fault for trying to import an invalid private key in April when you installed MultiBit for the first time.
steauacris89 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:38:12 PM

The wallet was made in october 2014 and when i first reset the wallet in january other transactions apear in my wallet from april. I dont confirm any of this transactions .My first real transaction with Multibit was from 29 october 2014, the others before this apear when i reset the wallet in december
steauacris89 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:45:12 PM

f3tus , In October was the first time when i used Multibit in my life so how is my fault Huh
Is my fault that a code error import this key Huh?
I havent import any key .......
They will not ever put me in front of this situation, and the blog is made bad , the story is not 100% they write just what they want .
No problem , i will start a mega campain today and we will see who have right .
Was so hard to compensate me for my lost Huh?
War start :|
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:54:00 PM

Was so hard to compensate me for my lost Huh?

Finding who's to blame. That's the hard part.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
sed

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:01:45 PM

I have the Multibit owners answer

Hi again,

I just reread through the thread and I noticed that OP continually uses this term "owners" in reference to the developers.  However, with respect to free and open source software, the developers aren't really the owners, the users are owners of their own installs.  The details are in the copyright/license, which in this case is the MIT license.

http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

I think the OP really needs to look carefully at the second paragraph (written in all caps for a reason):

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

This doesn't mean that the developers woudn't work with OP, but I think OP obviously doesn't have any right to make demands.
steauacris89 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:18:52 PM

This is will not over here , i wait to meet personal this "owners" to see if they ignore me when we are face to face .
Next mounth i will go to England and will see then whats happened .
Who take my money is my enemy , the word for whats happened here is " steeling ".
I will keep you all upgrade .
thx
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:41:19 PM

This is will not over here , i wait to meet personal this "owners" to see if they ignore me when we are face to face .
Next mounth i will go to England and will see then whats happened .
Who take my money is my enemy , the word for whats happened here is " steeling ".
I will keep you all upgrade .
thx

You can be 100% sure they didn't steal your BTC, those coins were sent to a Bitcoin address that can never be spent. It was caused by a bug in multibit. This is really bad IMO, and the multibit guys should be doing everything they can to find this bug, but it seems like they are simply ignoring it.

I'm sorry to hear this happened, but there is nothing anyone can do to get the Bitcoins back, they are "stuck" in the blockchain forever. Multibit is free software written by a team of unpaid volunteers with contributions by hundreds of people. When you use it you are using it entirely at your own risk. You can't really expect anyone to reimburse you.

steauacris89 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:49:13 PM

I know that , but when you create a program like this ( an open-source ) and clients ask you about a problem , you will try to help, no?
This is my problem here , i know ,my btc are blocked there forever but when i see that they ignore me and ignore this problem i have the right to be upsad and start a war with them.
They can simply, because is a open source , open an donation page in multibit to raise money from the fake adress and give back
I think an open source is based on donation of the community and if they create a donation page for this problem i think the community will understand .
But they dont care Wink . I have more ideas like them but when you write 3 pages with ideea and they respond in 2 words is normally to be upsad .
My solution : Create a donation page for the users that have problem with this bug .
Thx
f3tus

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 07:50:08 AM

The wallet was made in october 2014 and when i first reset the wallet in january other transactions apear in my wallet from april. I dont confirm any of this transactions .My first real transaction with Multibit was from 29 october 2014, the others before this apear when i reset the wallet in december
Then mail them their forensic report is wrong, as you used MultiBit for the first time in October. And if there is no import private key log from October 2014 - January 2015, then it's obvious you did not use the import feature to mess this up, and there is another bug in MultiBit.
steauacris89 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 10:28:45 AM

https://github.com/jim618/multibit/issues/661

yesterday i e-mailed them.
no answer yet :|
f3tus

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 12:57:11 PM

Can you upload the full 1GB log somewhere (zip/rar it) so we can all see the activity to be sure it started in October, because if it did, I don't know why they'd claim April if it's not in the logs.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: