Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:54:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you give Bitcoin donantions to Wikipedia?  (Voting closed: January 25, 2015, 07:58:45 AM)
Yes, spread the word - 20 (62.5%)
No, I dont give a rats ass - 12 (37.5%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: #### POLL#### Bitcoin Donation to Wikipedia  (Read 1041 times)
chipmadness

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:04:02 AM

WIKIPEDIA IS THE ANSWER TO ALL QUESTIONS!!!!!!! FUND THEM NOW BEFORE A CORPORATE COMPANY DUPLICATES IT AND DESTROYS THE NAME AND IDEA

CryptoThrone - http://cryptothrone.com - The Highest Rank in Crypto News! Visit us for the latest Bitcoin news, conference news, the newest and best alt-coins getting released, mining hardware news, mining theories, and everything else related to crypto-currency! Looking for a web developer? Let me design you a responsive, elegant, and modern site today!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 06:18:46 AM

I want to donate some, but too bad i can't keep my identity hidden.
I wonder if i can give fake identity to coinbase Huh

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 06:28:55 AM

Supporting Wikipedia for their virtual encyclopaedia service, whilst spreading the Bitcoin word across the planet.

This is in support of an email I sent this morning, asking if they would accept Bitcoin as donations, once completed I will send Wikipedia the results.

Hopefully the results will be positive Smiley

yes I do the support the idea fully but ...
They do accept Bitcoin as donations already , you can see the article here => http://www.coindesk.com/wikipedia-now-accepts-bitcoin-donations/
Besides They make around 210 million dollar each month just by Ads from their website & more millions via Affiliate Links so yeah ... I don't think they need any donations to be honest ... still a good idea to make bitcoin more known and make people show their appreciation

Where do you get the information that they are earning from ads and affiliates. I think it's very clear that they want maintain the website to be ad free and rely on donations. if they would have put even a single ad link can you imagine how much they would have made??

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 07:27:55 AM

Wikipedia should definitely accept bitcoin. Wikipedia was a pioneer in online information, they should embrace and support other pioneers in technology.

firewire2013 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 09:53:25 AM

Wikipedia should definitely accept bitcoin. Wikipedia was a pioneer in online information, they should embrace and support other pioneers in technology.

It appears they have been accepting BTC for about a year, it’s just the link is hidden at the bottom.

I think this needs to be up near the PayPal section, that way when people see it, they will be curious what Bitcoin is and start reading up about it. Thus, not only is this thread about Wikipedia accepting BTC, which they already do. It is about spreading awareness of BTC.

BTC: 1BbJmzqcxnJEc3gPcBFbjoUnRB9WGHZ3Cf
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 10:34:00 AM

It appears they have been accepting BTC for about a year, it’s just the link is hidden at the bottom.

I think this needs to be up near the PayPal section, that way when people see it, they will be curious what Bitcoin is and start reading up about it. Thus, not only is this thread about Wikipedia accepting BTC, which they already do. It is about spreading awareness of BTC.

And that's the reason why they won't make 'donate with BTC' too visible. People who are about to donate get distracted and start checking what the bitcoin is (abandoning the 'donate' site).

That's what happen to Mozilla, they've run some test analysis for 17 days when Bitcoin was listed along with other payment options. Eventually they also decided to hide it. Can't blame them really, their goal is to get more donations not to promote bitcoin.

See my post from other thread:

I know that they are accepting it if you do some research BUT why hiding it ??

Why? Likely for the same reasons Mozilla removed bitcoin donation button. It distracted page viewers resulting in less donations.

https://fundraising.mozilla.org/bitcoin-donations-to-mozilla-17-days-in/

We received numerous requests from donors that they wanted bitcoin featured right on our primary donation form. Given the volume of page views to that form (millions during the life of the campaign), I was concerned that adding any unnecessary text would distract donors and depress non-bitcoin conversions, the source of more than 99% of all our campaign revenue. So we decided to add “Donate with Bitcoin” text, and test whether it depressed conversion or not. Here is what that looked like: [...]

The test showed that revenue per visitor drops by about $0.07 USD. Here is the Optimizely graph showing a 7.5% reduction in revenue per visitor:[...]

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀