Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:43:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Nordic: 300M can now buy bitcoin in the Middle East and North Africa  (Read 32206 times)
Ocean6

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:02:54 AM

Good job guys. Spread it!

Life is What you Make it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:54:40 AM

This is great - there are fewer and fewer white spots on the Bitcoin map of this planet. Best of luck!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
szuetam

Activity: 377
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 10:02:10 AM

Great job. It's really good.
I have a tech question how does the other than English language works is it automatic translation by Google, was it verified by some native speaker?
fimp (OP)

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 10:10:22 AM

I have a tech question how does the other than English language works is it automatic translation by Google, was it verified by some native speaker?
Yes, it's an automatic translation which we are looking to verify and correct in the future. However, I would guess that if you're living in the ME/NA region, and you can't read English, you are unlikely to know about Bitcoin in the first place. This, of course, needs to change.

waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 10:30:38 AM

Great news, well done!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 03:01:43 PM

Yes, it's an automatic translation

Please change your topic. You did NOT reach out to 300M people with this. Get some translator before claiming such bullshit! It's not expensive at all.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 03:12:32 PM

Great work guys Smiley
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 05:06:20 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2012, 01:43:01 AM by elux

Yes, it's an automatic translation which we are looking to verify and correct in the future. However, I would guess that if you're living in the ME/NA region, and you can't read English, you are unlikely to know about Bitcoin in the first place. This, of course, needs to change.

That was quick. Cool. Smiley

I know Bitcointalk has a decent number of French and Hebrew proficient readers...

Do we also have French, Hebrew and Arabic people who could do some quick sanity testing of the automated translations?

Possible next step: Write a post recruiting people to have a quick read, and spot for babel-fishy, nonsensical or inconsistent translation. Translation failures could be posted to the thread, allowing the original English to be re-worded to avoid the problematic translations. Would such an approach be feasible?

The English to Danish translation seems usable, although the grammar is a bit off. The bad grammar makes it read a bit like a spam-email, which would make me a bit skeptical, if I had access only to the translated version. Beyond this, the English to Arabic translation could be a lot more jabberwocky.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 07:09:46 PM

the Hebrew is...is.... ROFL Smiley

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
fimp (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 08:23:48 PM

Beyond this, the English to Arabic translation could be a lot more jabberwacky.
Are you proficient in Arabic?

fimp (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 08:28:03 PM

the Hebrew is...is.... ROFL Smiley
cashU's presence in Israel is pretty small, unfortunately, so Hebrew probably has the lowest priority of these languages.

mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:33:51 PM

Check with Meni Rosenfeld for Hebrew. He offers a competing service, but perhaps helping you out could further both your and his business.

camem

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:47:58 PM

do all those africans know they can buy bitcoins now?

I suggest that we all start emailing african strangers with 'a business offer you can't refuse'. We should probably make sure to email quite a few at once to make sure enough of them see it. If they don't get it first time we'll have to be quite persistent. I think we'd have the best hit rate in Nigeria, they seem very business minded. It would help to have important people back it, but luckily I happen to know the president's family are on email quite a lot and interested in financial things too !

Edit: for these guys i think the automated translations without any review will be just fine

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 09:01:47 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2012, 01:44:28 AM by elux

Beyond this, the English to Arabic translation could be a lot more jabberwacky.
Are you proficient in Arabic?

Not in the slightest.

I just assume the English-Danish translation is more likely to be sane and legible than the English-Arabic translation.

It's safe to say that machine translation between weakly related languages belonging to wholly different language groups fails in weird ways more often than, say German-English, or French-English translations. Re: farfiman's comment on the Hebrew version.

While the automated translation is unlikely to create a trustworthy and otherwise favorable impression, it's likely good enough to make it possible to understand and hence do business, if one is motivated in advance. So... Yay! Gotta start somewhere. Smiley
MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:08:24 AM

Good job guys. Apparently Malaysia is on that list as well, although I had never heard of CashU before.
I know someone who might be able to help with both Arabic and Hebrew - PM me.
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:22:28 AM

do all those africans know they can buy bitcoins now?

I suggest that we all start emailing african strangers with 'a business offer you can't refuse'.....

please excuse my profanity, but IMHO a premium of 15% just for buying BTC doesn't look like a business offer you can't refuse. Add to that the additional costs incurred on the merchant accepting bitcoin. And what is the merchant supposed to do with his BTC? convert them back to USD? or to Yuan??

This might be a first attempt to spread a small number of coins into those countries, but, honestly I don't get the "big picture" here.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:38:26 AM

Godt gået  Wink
Nice to see good stuff happening in the Danish Bitcoin scene.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:40:21 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2012, 05:19:15 PM by Stephen Gornick

And cashU prepaid cards are just one way to top up a cashU account, as cashU cooperates with Ukash and several other payment systems to make it truly globally available.

Yes, for the first time there is a cash deposit method for purchasing bitcoins in Pakistan, Nigeria, Turkey, and through UKash this becomes available in Argentina, Uraguay, Bolivia, and Mexico (among dozens of others).

I've added wiki pages for both CashU and UKash:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/CashU
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/UKash

please excuse my profanity, but IMHO a premium of 15% just for buying BTC doesn't look like a business offer you can't refuse. Add to that the additional costs incurred on the merchant accepting bitcoin. And what is the merchant supposed to do with his BTC? convert them back to USD? or to Yuan??

This might be a first attempt to spread a small number of coins into those countries, but, honestly I don't get the "big picture" here.

Of course the added expenses in converting from cash through payment intermediaries like CashU will limit bitcoin's usefulness in the instances where that is needed.  But compare the costs to Western Union though and to other methods of sending money from one part of a country to another, or internationally within Africa or overseas, and this doesn't end up being such an uncompetitive rate.

Here's an example of why this matters:

- http://pymnts.com/commentary/Tips-for-2012-Understanding-Payment-Behavior-of-African-Households-A-Vast-and-Untapped-Market/

That shows that more than half of remittances do not use mobile payments.

Few mobile payment networks support international remittance transactions so that is one reason for that.  
 - http://technology.cgap.org/2012/03/21/what-do-international-remittances-mean-for-mobile-money-cgap-releases-study-on-remittances

But bitcoins won't just be useful as an alternative to Western Union for remittance transfers for the continent.  They'll be useful for a wide variety of transactions -- they can be used to pay for a commercial shipment electronically so that the delivery driver isn't carrying large amounts of cash, for instance.  Bitcoins will be useful for travelers who wish to convert out of the currency in one country and then used to acquire local currency in the next.

So even with a high level of friction when buying bitcoins using CashU, once bitcoins are acquired they can circulate without being converted back to fiat outside the local community.  

This is sure to happen since anyone can function as an exchange.  This exchange function is one that has almost no barrier to entry and could be profitable for those who begin to offer this service.  The techies at the cyber-cafe are likely one example of where these first exchanges will occur  -- especially since that's where tourists are found.   Or those already operating as exchange agents might start participating as adding bitcoin to the mix is just a small additional effort.

Keep this in mind ... with each Western Union transaction sucking a minimum of 10% of the payment, and mobile payments in the 5% range for smaller payments (e.g., under $40 range), bitcoins when purchased through CashU even don't need to change hands twice before they've become a better value as a payment system than had the same amount of funds been transferred through the alternatives.

The key though is that previously there was no way to seed this.  This CashU option actually gives the ability for entrepreneurial individuals on the ground there to get bitcoins into their hands so that they have something to use to start trading.

Next what is needed are some stories of actual bitcoin commerce occurring.  For instance, there are many tech and business incubators on the continent  - a perfect place for bitcoins to begin circulating among a small group of willing participants who generally are among the early adopters and wouldn't entirely resist trying something new like this.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

fimp (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 11:09:11 AM

Gornick, thanks for the Wiki updates and additional information.

I've put up an ad looking for Arabic translators: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93579.0

fimp (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2012, 02:59:26 AM

So I hired JeromeS from this thread to do the Arabic translation and it has now been implemented on www.bitcoinnordic.com

(We're aware the logo is misplaced in the Arabic layout.)

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: