Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:46:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spondoolies SP20E. One impressive miner 0,526 W/GH  (Read 6574 times)
Xircom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 05:57:35 PM

Didn't measure the db but they are loud..
But since they are located in another building sound is not an issue.

BTC: 1MyJmxS9ER5ZBNvpG3LhoUXGotpzbPowed
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:10:13 PM

Great info I'll be trying your settings after im all spun up.. 
The gf is still making power supplies...

While the rig setup is impressive, even more striking is that your GF is interested in working on this! That to me is probably the most valuable thing you have going for you.....  Smiley
SDRebel

Activity: 569
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:38:11 PM

I'm confused, is there a sp20 and a sp20e? Two different models?
Edit:
I've seen some on ebay for under $500 or so, looked interesting
Xircom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:55:25 PM

Edit:

Yes,  first gen was sp20 and second gen is sp20e.

BTC: 1MyJmxS9ER5ZBNvpG3LhoUXGotpzbPowed
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:56:25 PM

While the rig setup is impressive, even more striking is that your GF is interested in working on this! That to me is probably the most valuable thing you have going for you.....  Smiley

Whats more impressive is the angles she is able to work at!

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 07:23:42 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2015, 07:38:13 PM by bronan

blade psu's are very capable ones although i see this are very slim models.
The IBM BB psu's are much bigger but often lack cooling but can cope with insane loads
These are made to be cooled by the airflow in the blade servers, a mate and i tested the max load which is a 2800 watt IBM Blade PSU (2980 W - IBM BladeCenter H (7989, 8852)) could handle
We stopped at about 3500 watt load because going higher would be no longer safe, at this extreme load it becomes a huge risk and fire hazard.
But the psu did not even fail once.
These need some adjustments to get them cooled and you need to get the cables soldered, or try to get some tech wiz to create a breakout box for these monsters
Side note when we turned it on the lamps in barn dimmed, so these are not for the faint hearted.
DO NOT USE these without making sure everything can handle these loads.
SDRebel

Activity: 569
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 08:11:11 PM

Edit:

Yes,  first gen was sp20 and second gen is sp20e.
Thanks, i don't see it in their website as such...or is it the same sp20 and you may just get a newer model?

http://www.spondoolies-tech.com/collections/products
DevonMiner

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:21:50 PM

Thanks, i don't see it in their website as such...or is it the same sp20 and you may just get a newer model?

No 'just' about it, SP20E will show in the GUI when you boot-up, they are currently shipping SP20E's, not the earlier models. I have a few and more arriving in a few days.

Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 12:19:29 AM

The IBM BB psu's are much bigger but often lack cooling but can cope with insane loads
These are made to be cooled by the airflow in the blade servers, a mate and i tested the max load which is a 2800 watt IBM Blade PSU (2980 W - IBM BladeCenter H (7989, 8852)) could handle
We stopped at about 3500 watt load because going higher would be no longer safe, at this extreme load it becomes a huge risk and fire hazard.
These need some adjustments to get them cooled and you need to get the cables soldered, or try to get some tech wiz to create a breakout box for these monsters
Side note when we turned it on the lamps in barn dimmed, so these are not for the faint hearted.

The 2880W Bladecenter PSU's are quite amazing.  I currently have 3x SP20's hooked up to one at approx 1500 GH/s each, and it is drawing 13.41 amps at the wall w/ an ammeter.  Over 3,000 watts and holding steady for well over a week now.   But, if anyone thinks the SP20 fans are loud @ 100%, wait till you hear the fans on these bad boys  Grin.

I will be distributing J4bberwock's IBM 2880W breakout boards for North America.  Should receive my initial order in about 2-3 weeks now, will create a thread at that time.  You won't find 80+ Platinum rated power for cheaper, that is for sure.  And it beats the heck out of trying to rig up your own fans on the 2000W server PSU's. 

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
gallery2000

Activity: 784

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 03:59:58 AM

Great info I'll be trying your settings after im all spun up..  
The gf is still making power supplies...

Looks very good indeed.  Just noticed that you decided to use blade psu. Remember to ask insurance company if they will cover this mod.
What psu did you decide to use ?
very nice bracelets.

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 04:20:46 AM

The 2880W Bladecenter PSU's are quite amazing.  I currently have 3x SP20's hooked up to one at approx 1500 GH/s each, and it is drawing 13.41 amps at the wall w/ an ammeter.  Over 3,000 watts and holding steady for well over a week now.   But, if anyone thinks the SP20 fans are loud @ 100%, wait till you hear the fans on these bad boys  Grin.

I will be distributing J4bberwock's IBM 2880W breakout boards for North America.  Should receive my initial order in about 2-3 weeks now, will create a thread at that time.  You won't find 80+ Platinum rated power for cheaper, that is for sure.  And it beats the heck out of trying to rig up your own fans on the 2000W server PSU's. 

The breakout boards do seem very interesting, but are expensive for what they do Sad Thought about having pcb's made, doing my own. Still considering it Smiley
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 05:54:57 AM

The breakout boards do seem very interesting, but are expensive for what they do Sad Thought about having pcb's made, doing my own. Still considering it Smiley

I don't want to clutter the OP's excellent thread (or over-shadow all the compliments rolling in about chicago's girlfriend ) so I respectfully won't post after this.

Expensive compared to what?  For large deployment, the difference in price versus off-the-shelf ATX PSU's (even without factoring in the higher efficiency rating) is huge. You can buy a 2880W PSU, breakout board and cables for less than 1 EVGA 1300W G2, and have higher efficiency rating (as well as over 2x the power).  If you mean they are expensive versus wiring it up yourself, I personally think they are good value.  I have modified MANY smaller 1 kW DPS 800GBA PSU's in the past, and it was at least an hour of work per PSU (with only 4x PCI cables per PSU, not 20+). With 3,000 Watts of AC power, if you go without a PCB you have some serious soldering to do.  If you do get your own PCB made up (and essentially your own breakout board), you have to source out the proprietary connectors, which at this point J4bberwock has been waiting on for around 2 months at the factory.  They are not cheap, but they do represent a lot of value IMO.

/shameless plugs Smiley

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 06:27:17 AM

I don't want to clutter the OP's excellent thread (or over-shadow all the compliments rolling in about chicago's girlfriend ) so I respectfully won't post after this.

Expensive compared to what?  For large deployment, the difference in price versus off-the-shelf ATX PSU's (even without factoring in the higher efficiency rating) is huge. You can buy a 2880W PSU, breakout board and cables for less than 1 EVGA 1300W G2, and have higher efficiency rating (as well as over 2x the power).  If you mean they are expensive versus wiring it up yourself, I personally think they are good value.  I have modified MANY smaller 1 kW DPS 800GBA PSU's in the past, and it was at least an hour of work per PSU (with only 4x PCI cables per PSU, not 20+). With 3,000 Watts of AC power, if you go without a PCB you have some serious soldering to do.  If you do get your own PCB made up (and essentially your own breakout board), you have to source out the proprietary connectors, which at this point J4bberwock has been waiting on for around 2 months at the factory.  They are not cheap, but they do represent a lot of value IMO.

/shameless plugs Smiley

Well, for the psu I'm buying, I found the connectors in Canada for $10 a piece. Was quick.

But I can se the plus and minus to the boards. I may still jump and buy 10, but it's a large chunk on my ROI list.
bronan

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 11:40:26 AM

/shameless plugs Smiley

Well, for the psu I'm buying, I found the connectors in Canada for $10 a piece. Was quick.

But I can se the plus and minus to the boards. I may still jump and buy 10, but it's a large chunk on my ROI list.

Agreed on that yes they cost often more than the psu cost at least the ones being sold each time being replaced.
Our firm replaces the psu's almost every 2 years just to make sure, the ones coming out of these server will work many years flawless, hell i had one for almost 11 years and it still works.
Ofcourse with the much higher efficiency its ofcourse wise to replace them from silver or lower into the better ones.
But i found out some of them rated being 80+ silver (ibm and antec) still beat my brand new platinum psu's
Back on the breakout boxes they do work pretty nice especially the heavy psu models they can feed so many smaller miners its almost insane
My mate uses 2000BB psu's to feed his scrypt-n/x (11,13,15) gpu rigs if you see all those cables coming from just one psu you think omg what!!! all those on 1 psu.
And it all looks nice and tidy with the breakout box
bronan

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 11:47:16 AM

That's interested. How loud are they running at these underclocked speeds?

On topic if you underclock them and have a cool ambient temperature, you can set the sp20 at fan speed 20 ( normal set at 80 )
The difference between 20 and 80 is huge, i think the noise is now around 72 db
With the fan at 80 it sounds like a small airplane
At startup it goes full speed maybe someone with a good camera can record that Cheesy
Its ofcourse still audible but absolute a lot less, it seems someone cut the metal in front of the fan away and that made a huge difference in noise as well
chicagoleo

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 05:06:06 AM

Hello all,

I used the HP DPS1200FB

Soidered on a 1k risistor
And 4 x 16awg PCI connectors

Total price per ps 31 bucks

Oh, Plus added rubber feet from Home Depot so that's another 20 cents ea Cheesy

chicagoleo

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 05:25:38 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2015, 05:38:01 AM by chicagoleo

70+TH
One thing I noticed, much better to throw the hot air 10 feet away than into a wall 2 feet away. (Also notice the box fans only to blow air over the ps, without airflow they get hot)

And derate your conduit!  I used 10awg wire for the 20amp circuits instead of 12awg, which derates to code.  42 x 20amp,
 120v, dedicated 3 phase208 sub, networked neutral.

http://i60.tinypic.com/i1bl2f.jpg

Here is a good pic of the ps mod up close

http://i59.tinypic.com/2zh4daa.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/effgp2.jpg

And make sure you have a good helper

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ai07k.jpg

The hot side
http://i61.tinypic.com/2s9bo8p.jpg
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 05:36:34 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2015, 07:44:11 AM by Rabinovitch

Impressive...  Wink

So the main point in crypto-mining is to choose right girlfriend?..

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
mavericklm

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 08:13:44 AM

something is wrong with me, i look more impres because of the back-up generator in the back Smiley)))))

nice rack of miners!!!
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 09:02:29 AM

For me it looks more real to meet such a wonderful woman than to obtain such quantity of SP20(E)s... So I don't need such diesel generator...  Undecided

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: