Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:51:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BurtW arrested (update: charges dropped!)  (Read 74655 times)
fonenumba

Activity: 411
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:51:54 AM

Haha was just going to say this myself. Also, from what I read the police confiscated any computers, usbs and even recordable media they had in the house so they likely have direct access to most of his coins that way. I suppose what is interesting about bitcoin is you could have password-protected back-ups with a friend or family and get them to transfer the coins to a secure wallet if you get into trouble.
Well I should have thought of it.Another way would be to print out the private key and hide it somewhere, somewhere that no one would know.Maybe even hide a private key in the blockchain itself.
The police had stolen over 700 BTC
Exactly that word.
his wife had also posted that they kept everything related to BurtW's trading in a safe in their home, so the police would only need to crack their safe in order to get whatever they used to store his private keys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 01:28:08 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2015, 01:43:21 PM by BurtW

May I ask you BurtW?
Sure, you are free to ask any question you want to.

Many of the questions you ask are very interesting questions.  The answers that people come up with are also interesting.

I am not free.  I am out of jail on bond.  I have an active case against me.  Everything said in this thread is read by many different people. 

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
fonenumba

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 01:31:04 PM

Haha was just going to say this myself. Also, from what I read the police confiscated any computers, usbs and even recordable media they had in the house so they likely have direct access to most of his coins that way. I suppose what is interesting about bitcoin is you could have password-protected back-ups with a friend or family and get them to transfer the coins to a secure wallet if you get into trouble.
Well I should have thought of it.Another way would be to print out the private key and hide it somewhere, somewhere that no one would know.Maybe even hide a private key in the blockchain itself.
Exactly that word.
his wife had also posted that they kept everything related to BurtW's trading in a safe in their home, so the police would only need to crack their safe in order to get whatever they used to store his private keys

and that's a perfect example of how they could make life really bad ... they tell you to open the safe, you say no, they say open it or we rip down the wall around it, bring it downtown with you, and you both stay in separate cells until it opens.

Or they could just look at the serial number on the safe and likely get the combination from the manufacturer (I suspect that unlike manufacturers of physical coins, safe manufacturers retain the combinations of the safes they produce). Or if this does not "work" they could simply crack/drill the safe 
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 01:35:32 PM

May I ask you BurtW?

Many of the questions you ask are very interesting questions.  The answers that people come up with are also interesting.

I am not free.  I am out of jail on bond.  I have an active case against me.  Everything said in this thread is read by many different people.

So, you have all my support (and I think all the community support) and I hope you will win th cause because "bitcoin isn't illegal" /this is the sense of everything. All this situation is insane, where is the freedom?
fonenumba

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:50:02 PM

Exactly that word.

and that's a perfect example of how they could make life really bad ... they tell you to open the safe, you say no, they say open it or we rip down the wall around it, bring it downtown with you, and you both stay in separate cells until it opens.

Or they could just look at the serial number on the safe and likely get the combination from the manufacturer (I suspect that unlike manufacturers of physical coins, safe manufacturers retain the combinations of the safes they produce). Or if this does not "work" they could simply crack/drill the safe 
See, again you assume they will be sensible and reasonable by taking the route of least resistance -- the easy way.  What in the world would lead you to such a rational conclusion after they stormed your house 30 deep with riot gear and high powered arms AT THE READY?    

... if they feel you are trying to jerk them around, after destroying the wall, they get a winch to drag the safe through the house destroying floors, stairs, doorways, and your driveway.
I guess that is true, however destroying the wall ect., would likely be the decision of the officers at the scene while the fact that 30+ officers were sent was likely the decision of higher ups, so it would not be the same person making both decisions.

I am also not sure what the rules are on destroying property like that during the course of the execution of a search warrant
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:43:54 AM

The feds can, theoretically,
...steal whatever they want, from virtually anyone, at little risk to themselves.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:27:21 AM

"The essential principle of totalitarianism is to make laws that are impossible to obey." -- Christopher Hitchens

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:42:05 AM

Burt, I hope that justice will prevail and you will be awarded a substantial compensation for all the hardships caused to you by the federal agents. Be strong, we all support you.
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:12:05 PM

"The essential principle of totalitarianism is to make laws that are impossible to obey." -- Christopher Hitchens

This is very applicable and points out how far freedom has devolved in the USA. What gets me is that the people enforcing these tryannical laws are doing it for profit. I don't know how they sleep at night. They can not have a conscience.

I wonder what they would think if some of their brethren did this to one of their kids?

The USA is Fascist. The Nazis are winning using their Fear-Based economy to control the masses. Sad. really sad!

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:19:30 PM

What gets me is that the people enforcing these tryannical laws are doing it for profit. I don't know how they sleep at night. They can not have a conscience.

I wonder what they would think if some of their brethren did this to one of their kids?

The people doing the enforcing are us. And our friends, family and relations who have our snouts in Uncle Sams trough.
MegaFall

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:20:18 PM

Just donated $150 to the Libertarian party. If you're in the US I suggest doing the same.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:53:30 PM

Just donated $150 to the Libertarian party. If you're in the US I suggest doing the same.

I appreciate the sentiment but that's kind of a waste of money because they can't act quickly and don't stand a chance of winning an election. If you have extra money to donate take a look at the ACLU.

https://www.aclu.org

MegaFall

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:07:22 PM

I appreciate the sentiment but that's kind of a waste of money because they can't act quickly and don't stand a chance of winning an election. If you have extra money to donate take a look at the ACLU.

That's the defeating attitude that will never get them elected. This statement is everything wrong with the current state of politics in the US. I'm starting a couple of businesses and am hoping to be pulling $250k per year, at least. 60% of my income [post taxes] is going to the Libertarian party for the 2016 election.
coinits
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:10:49 PM

What gets me is that the people enforcing these tryannical laws are doing it for profit. I don't know how they sleep at night. They can not have a conscience.

The people doing the enforcing are us. And our friends, family and relations who have our snouts in Uncle Sams trough.

No. 'We the People' have become distracted and a whole generation is growing up to believe that sacrificing liberty and privacy helps the Nanny State keep them safe. It is on the 'old guard', that know their history, to teach these dumbed-down youth what they are embracing. They seem to think that as long as they have their digital toys, a big screen TV, and social media that they are good to go.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
sporket

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:11:44 PM

What gets me is that the people enforcing these tryannical laws are doing it for profit. I don't know how they sleep at night. They can not have a conscience...

Conscience?  We have technology, foolish Earthling.

~Your Beneficent Reptilian Overlords.
coinits
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:41:59 PM

What gets me is that the people enforcing these tryannical laws are doing it for profit. I don't know how they sleep at night. They can not have a conscience...

Conscience?  We have technology, foolish Earthling.

~Your Beneficent Reptilian Overlords.

Hello David Icke. Did not know that you hung out on Bitcointalk. Welcome.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 03:53:03 PM

On the subject of civil asset forfeiture the ACLU in Colorado has taken a "not our kind of issue" stance, but in New Mexico the ACLU was very active and helpful in passing their recent state law on civil asset forfeiture.

Because this is a big issue in our household, if we had any money to give, we would give it to the New Mexico ACLU but not the Colorado ACLU.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
sporket

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:58:58 PM

Burt, out of curiosity, how much BTC<->USD have you traded, overall?
coinits
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:03:59 PM

On the subject of civil asset forfeiture the ACLU in Colorado has taken a "not our kind of issue" stance, but in New Mexico the ACLU was very active and helpful in passing their recent state law on civil asset forfeiture.

Because this is a big issue in our household, if we had any money to give, we would give it to the New Mexico ACLU but not the Colorado ACLU.

So the only choice is to run the Leftards out of office and replace them with the Tea Party and hope to get them to go Libertarian in their leanings. Your Governor is a Lefty and he was just re-elected so it does not bode well. How can people elect people who are OK with perpetrating this state-run organized crime syndicate?

ACCTseller

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

no longer selling accounts

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:04:27 PM

Burt, out of curiosity, how much BTC<->USD have you traded, overall?

you have got to be kidding?
LOL, her avatar might as well be a badge or a prison or someone that is clearly wearing a wire.

This is why it is generally advisable not to speak publicly about your case prior to it being resolved as everything you say can and will be used against you. (I am sure everything he talks about is cleared with his attorney ahead of time though)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: