Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:37:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Bitcoins Disapear  (Read 1851 times)
Possum (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 05:16:32 PM

Hi

When I send a bitcoin does all of that coin's value travel 1 for 1 or does some of it get used by the system..

Thank you..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 05:21:53 PM

In the Bitcoin client, if you click on Settings->Options, you can set the transaction fee you are willing to pay.  Mine is set at zero at the moment.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 05:22:06 PM

Hi

When I send a bitcoin does all of that coin's value travel 1 for 1 or does some of it get used by the system..

Thank you..
It retains its value - if I send you 1 bitcoin you will receive 1 bitcoin.

There are some exceptions, however. Take a look at this wiki page, but basically very small transactions incur a transaction fee (this is to prevent people "spamming" the network with lots of small transactions) and also you can voluntarily pay a transaction fee as it may make your transaction be processed faster.

This space intentionally left blank.
charliesheen

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 09:28:04 PM

i think the intent of the question was more along the lines of "If a wallet is deleted then what happens to the bitcoins stored in it?"

inh

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 09:36:31 PM

i think the intent of the question was more along the lines of "If a wallet is deleted then what happens to the bitcoins stored in it?"

Lost forever
BubbaBitcoin

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 10:13:41 PM

Lost forever

Hey! Newbie here been lurking for a few months. Are they lost forever if you have a printed out version of the keys. In other words, i've seen people recommend this and assume if you hqve paper backup you could reconstruct wallet.dat

Anybody actually tried this or just a persistent myth?

I know!  What a stupid first post but i figured What the heck.

Edited for first post fail. How embarrasing Angry
CydeWeys

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 12:31:36 AM

Hi

Thank you..

The bitcoins aren't used up by the system.  The transaction fees are going to other users of Bitcoin who are running mining software that helps find new blocks.  Think of it as subsidizing their electricity/hardware costs, if you will.  But those coins aren't "vanishing".

ey! Newbie here been lurking for a few months. Are they lost forever if you have a printed out version of the keys. In other words, i've seen people recommend this and assume if you hqve paper backup you could reconstruct wallet.dat

Anybody actually tried this or just a persistent myth?

If you have your wallet.dat then you have your wallet.dat, and you can still get access to the money.  Most people recommend storing an encrypted backup on a USB key though.  I will admit that paper is probably more durable (well, assuming acid-free archival paper anyway), but recovering from that would require a bit more work, either in manual typing or scanning and OCRing, than if you just kept a backup on a USB stick.

If you keep your backup in the same physical location you're still vulnerable to loss by fire and such.  A lot of people recommend strongly encrypting your wallet.dat (I would recommend TrueCrypt for that) and emailing it to yourself.  That way it'll be stored on, say, Google's servers, and it's unlikely that your house will burn down on the same day as Google suffers a catastrophic loss of information, including all of their backups.
Possum (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 11:31:04 AM

Where is the wallet.dat

I looked with a search but could'nt find it
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 11:33:05 AM

Where is the wallet.dat

I looked with a search but could'nt find it

It's a hidden file by default so your cat won't scratch it, er, your possum.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Possum (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 11:34:34 AM

Actually that is a good observation. If Bitcoin computer are lost are those coins lost forever. How do lost coins get back into circulation again?

thx
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 11:37:05 AM

Actually that is a good observation. If Bitcoin computer are lost are those coins lost forever. How do lost coins get back into circulation again?

thx

They don't get back into circulation. Any way to get them back without the keys would be a way to get other people's coins without their keys. At least with Bitcoin you can back up your money.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Bughah

Activity: 90

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:45:00 PM

thx

They don't get back into circulation. Any way to get them back without the keys would be a way to get other people's coins without their keys. At least with Bitcoin you can back up your money.

No, for the popularity of the bitcoin right now in different community its great reason why bit coin will not dis appear.As long many people invest bitcoin it will still alive and be more progressive.
kofibee12

Activity: 133

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:55:31 PM

The transaction fee is deducted so i don't think all your bitcoin can go to the receiver as you paid but you can set it higher than the real amount you intend to send
Cynooza

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 10:24:25 PM

Hi

Thank you..

Bitcoins cannot disappear. Whenever you send btc you pay a transaction fee which goes to miners who actually process and confirm that transaction.
Doterti

Activity: 65

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 10:41:52 PM

The transaction fee is deducted so i don't think all your bitcoin can go to the receiver as you paid but you can set it higher than the real amount you intend to send

The bitcoin that you transact will dependable who will receive and with that it depends too of the value of the bitcoin whether how high is it or not but I'm sure that doing a transaction will be deducted a small value for transaction fee only but still you can benefit of it with no regrets.
Alex Foman

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 02:36:54 PM

I'm a bit ridiculous, it's probably claimed by the direct competitors of bitcoin, bitcoin is still standing and will stand on its feet, I really believe it
railyako

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 01:01:01 PM

the amount you send will be subtracted by the transaction fee.
tungaqhd

Activity: 1540
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 01:12:53 PM

Hi

Thank you..
As i know, when you send your coins, a part of them are rewarded to miners to make the transaction confirmed. Bitcoin is alway in the system even you lost your wallet and if you hold the private keys, you own them.
billionaireSHS

Activity: 269

Decentralized Transportation Solution

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 03:25:39 PM

Yes , all your coins will travel but when it done traveling, it will decrease a little. Why? Because there is a trasaction fee that we called, this fee will automatically deducted your coins when you start sending money.

kinhdolaos

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 08:51:36 AM

Bitcoin can not really disappear. I'm sure you know that
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: