Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:50:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate Manipulation behind the recent price spike?  (Read 6970 times)
OmegaNemesis28

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 09:36:49 AM

I'm kind of lost in the shuffle with all this. All I knew until a few hours ago was that yesterday (and the day before) I opened up my phone app to monitor prices and it was shooting up. Then it went back down, and now it seems to be stabilizing.

I come on here to find all of this. Not sure what to think.
Now I've been out of this for almost a year, I don't quite understand who Pirate is. I have seen him post lately and he clearly has some power/wealth in bitcoin judging by his business and the software available from him.

However, why hasn't he said anything since and where/what is he doing now? Did he accomplish what he set out to complete? What even was the goal - to start a rally?

If true he was behind this, then why would the people invested in his service(s) trust him? If he is indeed running a ponzi, then why does he have so much accumulated BTC from people in the first place?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sant001

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:03:10 AM

I watched it happen in real-time yesterday, and was going to post about it when the forum went off-line
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:59:21 PM

If true he was behind this, then why would the people invested in his service(s) trust him? If he is indeed running a ponzi, then why does he have so much accumulated BTC from people in the first place?

Because it was a BTC Ponzi? I mean, could be he's selling now so he can cash out and he really has no obligation to buy them back if it's a Ponzi and he's done with it now.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:06:32 PM

Pirate says he will go to Defcon, so perhaps he'll pull up his ultrabook in the middle of the street, release the yubikey from inside his eye patch and make a rally right there and then on the street for everyone to see!!*

Seeing is believing!!!!
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:05:14 PM

Somehow we have to admit that "pirate40" was right. panic buyer at 9.5$ could have buy at lower price. I think small crashes in rally and patience can make very good friends for investors: buy the dips.

I usually place a bidding order 5% -10% lower than it is trading now, and seldom it cannot be full filled given 1 week time.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:06:29 PM

#2)  People don't like to believe that some regular guy can make at least 7% a week.  After all, most people here aren't making 7% per week, especially if you're not investing with Pirate or a pass-through.

Counter-point to #2)  It is absolutely possible for this to happen.  I've made 2000% in about 8 months from trading alone.  That 2000% doesn't include mining profits, product sales, or service sales.  Nor was it a full time job.  It was day trading.  And it was only on two exchanges.  And neither was Mt. Gox.
Hi
I have tried a few times day trading, but with the fees @MtGox in the end I have had (if I won) the same (or lower) as before the trades -> meaning that the really profit has made MtGox Angry
therefore:
is there any chart with comparing the fees from all of the exchanges anywhere?
TIA
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:00:24 PM

#2)  People don't like to believe that some regular guy can make at least 7% a week.  After all, most people here aren't making 7% per week, especially if you're not investing with Pirate or a pass-through.

Counter-point to #2)  It is absolutely possible for this to happen.  I've made 2000% in about 8 months from trading alone.  That 2000% doesn't include mining profits, product sales, or service sales.  Nor was it a full time job.  It was day trading.  And it was only on two exchanges.  And neither was Mt. Gox.
Hi
I have tried a few times day trading, but with the fees @MtGox in the end I have had (if I won) the same (or lower) as before the trades -> meaning that the really profit has made MtGox Angry
therefore:
is there any chart with comparing the fees from all of the exchanges anywhere?
TIA

Check out http://bitcoin-analytics.com/

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:07:48 PM

Do you really think someone with this kind of money sells his bitcoins on the market?

Nobody will sell at below market value regardless of their  wealth status ,and where do you go to sell something at a higher price than what the market is willing to pay for it ?
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:02:38 PM

where do you go to sell something at a higher price than what the market is willing to pay for it ?
Where people who buy it don't want to be in public.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:17:23 PM

where do you go to sell something at a higher price than what the market is willing to pay for it ?

Its easy to buy anything anonymously at market price  ,just have an agent make the buys on your behalf

I doubt theres  some billionaire/organisation   paying pirate  way over the odds to buy into bitcoin

he claims to be making around 10%+ per week so its easy for him to pay  up to 7% and still make  a killing ......

Very interesting .......
ewibit
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:43:44 PM

thx
I have looked at the side and it's difficult to understand all for me (perhaps because I'm no native english speaker) and I ask me what do I have much more then on http://btccharts.com/ or http://bitcoincharts.com/ where I see most of the exchanges too?
(especially if I pay for the service...)
TIA
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 10:18:16 PM

Its easy to buy anything anonymously at market price  ,just have an agent make the buys on your behalf

I doubt theres  some billionaire/organisation   paying pirate  way over the odds to buy into bitcoin

he claims to be making around 10%+ per week so its easy for him to pay  up to 7% and still make  a killing ......

Very interesting .......

You assume that selling the coin is the only service pirate provides.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 06:40:05 AM

So, basically, the theory is that pirate is a large dark pool.  He knows the real price, and can manipulate the exchanges using this info.  And this all came about because MtGox is a dick about identification, and Bitcoinica started going down the regulatory path as well.  I guess it's feasible.  Though, I wonder how (and how long) it works in practice.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ewibit
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:37:04 PM

And it was only on two exchanges.  And neither was Mt. Gox.
which one do you prefere?
because it seems I have had bad luck with the smaller ones as you can see here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94649.msg1073755#msg1073755
(has my money and my BTC's) Angry
therefore I am looking for any trustable...
TIA
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 06:28:57 PM

Even if it was Pirate back then at 17.07., it seems like it did cost him a fair amount of BTC, and his intervention held jts a mere two weeks.. He dropped it from 9.5 down to 7.5, and it went up to 9.5 again after 15 days, up to 11.1 after 17 days..

I dunno.. Nah, Pirate probably is quick, clever and opportunistic. But probably not causing 25% swings after all.

Ente
DOH!

Activity: 784
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 07:32:37 PM

As long as the pirate can keep ratcheting up the price, I'm all for it! On the other hand, I wouldn't give him a Satoshi.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:05:16 PM

As long as the pirate can keep ratcheting up the price, I'm all for it! On the other hand, I wouldn't give him a Satoshi.

He claimed to have tanked the price, though.. And warned to buy in too expensive and all.

Ente
DOH!

Activity: 784
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 08:22:47 PM

He claimed to have tanked the price, though.. And warned to buy in too expensive and all.

Ente

Hmm, maybe he tanked it, but it was opposite day? I'm pretty sure I see 11+ right now??
-Confused.

CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:26:22 PM

someone is buying at 8.00GBP  or 12.60 USD on intersango

Shocked

is it a pump and dump though ? Smiley
Vladimir