Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:56:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rick Rolled by Coinbase, so I went to look at their local beautiful SF office...  (Read 10025 times)
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:07:50 AM

Would you still be complaining if Bitcoin went to the moon anyway and you were up $220k? 
Didn't think so.....
Volatility based on a inaccurate news report counts as speculation I would imagine

You will have to prove  they intentionally deceived the news because the news I saw said regulated in 24/50 States and I believe that was on Sunday  and even then it's semantics  when they say we are regulated they didn't say "in every state"  AFAIK

BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1247

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 07:13:43 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 07:41:51 AM by BayAreaCoins

Good luck!

Good luck to you as well.

This is my last post for now on this thread, but I will keep it unlocked for people to talk or for trolls to call me retarded or what ever Smiley.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 12:31:57 PM

The proper Coinbase sentence would be:

"We Rick Rolled the Bitcoin investors out of Millions of dollars + all the fees we earned that night by getting them to thinking we had actually gotten approved and regulated in California and New York."

We can be sure, of course, that no one on their staff bought bitcoins on Friday and sold them on Sunday evening.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
thresher

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:57:08 PM

This is Charlie Lee at Coinbase. I can confirm that we are indeed in the SF financial district. The HQ pictures are not staged. lol

The reason why we don't publicize our actual address is for the exact reason mentioned in this thread. Like someone said, banks and jewelry shops have been robbed for a lot less money. We have implemented security measures (cold storage, key splitting, ninja guards, etc.) to prevent rogue employees and armed gunmen from stealing the bitcoin we have stored for our users, but people don't know that. After hearing stories of how BitStamp lost 19,000 BTC, a crazy guy might just think it's worth the risk to come rob our office. And if they manage to get through our security to get to our office and find out that we aren't able to access the bitcoin, they are not going to be very happy. You can all imagine that this is NOT a situation we want to ever see ourselves in.

We'd rather be safe than sorry!

And to answer some of your questions.
A) We never claimed to be licensed in CA. The press did. I guess they just assumed we were. They also incorrectly claimed that we supported 25 states, when in fact we only supported 23 states + Puerto Rico at launch. We just started supporting Nebraska today.
B) The coinbase.com/lunar site was just a fun way to tease people on the internet and to create some buzz.
C) We've had USD wallets on Coinbase for 1.5 months now. You could have easily gotten money on our system and bought coins before we released the exchange. And if you had money in your USD wallet at launch, you would have been able to use our exchange immediately.
D) Our VC money is not meant to be used to speculate on Bitcoin price nor is it sane for us to support the Bitcoin price. We do not control the price. The market does.
E) It's not a fake address. We receive mail at that address.

Hilarious.  I guess all the banks and jewelry stores in the world should go into hiding.  We better throw in the liquor stores and even 7-11s too, I heard they get robbed as well.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 01:02:36 AM

This is my last post for now on this thread, but I will keep it unlocked for people to talk or for trolls to call me retarded or what ever Smiley.

Sorry you lost coins on such a high risk leveraged trade.  While I am sympathetic, I think it is going to be hard to find a grounds to sue on. 

I do like the idea of trying to find their office.

Knowing you, I can't REALLY believe this will be your last post.  Smiley  I hope you'll update us if your attorney finds a good angle, good luck to you!
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 02:29:39 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 07:46:22 AM by BayAreaCoins

I hope you'll update us if your attorney finds a good angle, good luck to you!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/coinbase-inc--national-securities-law-firm-investigates-licensure-of-coinbases-bitcoin-exchange-300028022.html

You can count on it + I will release their office information when I can.

I will for sure keep the community posted as much as my legal team allows me to.

<3  

You know me too well.

HUGE thank you to the Bitcoin community btw for understanding this is NOTHING against Bitcoin and 100% against being Rick Rolled by 100% bullshit news.  This doesn't just effect me... this effects everyone of us.  I was very happy to see silver and other orders continue to flow in today.

I'm honestly heart broken that Coinbase didn't actually secure the shit for Bitcoin.  It would have been a huge victory for all of us.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
soullyG

Activity: 1011
Merit: 721

Decentralize everything

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:25:38 AM

Wow, OP, you are such a moron. Good luck with your lawsuit!

(their page did put pressure on the markets to buy and I'm sure their earnings for that night show it.)

A silly teaser page pressured the market to buy? What?

You made a stupid investment decision based on market hype, and it backfired. Now you are just looking for an excuse to sue someone to try to get your money back. If I were to bet, you did not buy btc because Coinbase had the CA license. You just found out that they didn't after you lost your money.

Here are the facts:
1. Coinbase never claimed that they were licensed in CA. They claimed to be licensed and regulated and that they have 15 state licenses (https://www.coinbase.com/legal/licenses)
2. The press jumped to the conclusion that because they supported 24 states, they must have licenses in all states. They didn't bother to even fact check. See link above.
3. Coinbase put up a teaser website to their launch and in the source code they linked the "features" page to a rickroll video to screw around with people who are trying to be clever.
4. Price shot up to $300 after the WSJ saying that Coinbase will launch an exchange.
5. On Monday at 9am EST, they launched the exchange, and the price tumbled to $260. This is a classic buy the rumor and sell the news pattern.
6. On Tuesday, CA released a statement that Coinbase didn't actually have a license. They were correcting the media misinformation. They did not shut Coinbase exchange down as BTC exchange currently does not need a CA license.
7. The price tumbled before the CA news was released. So price had nothing to do with that piece of news.
8. You didn't even trade on the Coinbase exchange. This is based on your claim that Coinbase did not give you enough time to deposit money and your screen shot of losing money in a margin trade, which Coinbase does not have.

So you lost BTC speculating on a news wrongly reported by WSJ and others. And now you want to sue Coinbase, even though you didn't even trade on that exchange. Really? You will have more luck suing WSJ. And it's not like you lost money trading Coinbase stock. You lost money speculating on BTC, which Coinbase has no control over the price.

Here's an analogy:
1) A company announcing that they are opening a license and regulated gold/USD exchange
2) WSJ reported incorrectly that they have a license to do that in CA
3) You bought a ton of gold futures after hearing this rumor
4) You lost a lot of money after gold price crashed for reason unrelated to CA license
5) You now want to sue that company

Good luck!

+1 sorry for your loss BayAreaCoins, but Coinbase didn't convince you to do shit.. best of luck though
bounst

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:44:18 AM

Appears to be a flat out lie about a office. Not a misrepresentation.

http://blog.coinbase.com/post/82766793207/weve-moved-to-a-new-office

APR 14TH, 2014
We’ve Moved To A New Office

Coinbase headquarters have moved! Our new office is located in the heart of San Francisco, with some nice views of the city. And since we can’t be working on digital currency all the time, we’ve outfitted the office with ample ways to decompress - a game room, nap room, free meals, and a fully stocked fridge.
Since completing our fundraise this past December, we’ve more than doubled in size. We now have 23 full time employees and 35 remote contractors. You can read more about our outstanding team here, and apply if you’re interested in joining us.

They have a lot of pictures of their new office too...

More pics at that blog post

whether is coinbase a great scam??
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 07:59:59 PM

(their page did put pressure on the markets to buy and I'm sure their earnings for that night show it.)

You made a stupid investment decision based on market hype, and it backfired. Now you are just looking for an excuse to sue someone to try to get your money back. If I were to bet, you did not buy btc because Coinbase had the CA license. You just found out that they didn't after you lost your money.

Here are the facts:
1. Coinbase never claimed that they were licensed in CA. They claimed to be licensed and regulated and that they have 15 state licenses (https://www.coinbase.com/legal/licenses)
2. The press jumped to the conclusion that because they supported 24 states, they must have licenses in all states. They didn't bother to even fact check. See link above.
3. Coinbase put up a teaser website to their launch and in the source code they linked the "features" page to a rickroll video to screw around with people who are trying to be clever.
4. Price shot up to $300 after the WSJ saying that Coinbase will launch an exchange.
5. On Monday at 9am EST, they launched the exchange, and the price tumbled to $260. This is a classic buy the rumor and sell the news pattern.
6. On Tuesday, CA released a statement that Coinbase didn't actually have a license. They were correcting the media misinformation. They did not shut Coinbase exchange down as BTC exchange currently does not need a CA license.
7. The price tumbled before the CA news was released. So price had nothing to do with that piece of news.
8. You didn't even trade on the Coinbase exchange. This is based on your claim that Coinbase did not give you enough time to deposit money and your screen shot of losing money in a margin trade, which Coinbase does not have.

So you lost BTC speculating on a news wrongly reported by WSJ and others. And now you want to sue Coinbase, even though you didn't even trade on that exchange. Really? You will have more luck suing WSJ. And it's not like you lost money trading Coinbase stock. You lost money speculating on BTC, which Coinbase has no control over the price.

Here's an analogy:
1) A company announcing that they are opening a license and regulated gold/USD exchange
4) You lost a lot of money after gold price crashed for reason unrelated to CA license

Good luck!

This. You lost money on Bitcoin and you want to blame an Internet meme out all things for it? Sorry if I'm not getting the full picture, but good luck OP.
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 10:54:17 PM

This. You lost money on Bitcoin and you want to blame an Internet meme out all things for it? Sorry if I'm not getting the full picture, but good luck OP.

Ya your not getting the full picture and has very little to do with their gay meme  Roll Eyes

Thanks though b!z

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:15:31 AM

Ya your not getting the full picture and has very little to do with their gay meme  Roll Eyes

Thanks though b!z

Get in with that NYC law firm. Let the suits burn for their insolence

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:25:55 AM

Here are the facts:

Here's an analogy:

Good luck!

+1 sorry for your loss BayAreaCoins, but Coinbase didn't convince you to do shit.. best of luck though

It's this actual lost earnings or potential/unrealised  lost earnings?  I think that will be deciding factor in  whether a court would find coinbase even partly response

If they lied then yes they're Rick rolling, if they  issued a vague statement that was misinterpreted by a third party news site then they're probably not rick rolling and the news would be responsible for printing untrue info

coinsurfer12

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:03:03 AM

It's this actual lost earnings or potential/unrealised  lost earnings?  I think that will be deciding factor in  whether a court would find coinbase even partly response

If they lied then yes they're Rick rolling, if they  issued a vague statement that was misinterpreted by a third party news site then they're probably not rick rolling and the news would be responsible for printing untrue info

Even if Coinbase lied and claimed that they were licensed and were not, there's absolutely no way they can be responsible for anyone's speculation loss. 1) He didn't lose that money on Coinbase exchange. 2) He speculated on BTC and not Coinbase stock. And that's even if they lied, which from what I can tell they didn't. It was just the media blowing it out of proportion. Their only fault may be that they should have corrected the media right away but didn't until a day or two later.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:07:00 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 04:31:27 AM by rocoro

It's this actual lost earnings or potential/unrealised  lost earnings?  I think that will be deciding factor in  whether a court would find coinbase even partly response

If they lied then yes they're Rick rolling, if they  issued a vague statement that was misinterpreted by a third party news site then they're probably not rick rolling and the news would be responsible for printing untrue info

Even if Coinbase lied and claimed that they were licensed and were not, there's absolutely no way they can be responsible for anyone's speculation loss. 1) He didn't lose that money on Coinbase exchange. 2) He speculated on BTC and not Coinbase stock. And that's even if they lied, which from what I can tell they didn't. It was just the media blowing it out of proportion. Their only fault may be that they should have corrected the media right away but didn't until a day or two later.

As with all legal situations,  if there is enough money to keep paying lawyers, keep appealing etc.. usually the side with more money wins - regardless of what everyone thinks is right or wrong.  I should add, that is if both parties want to keep fighting.. some may not and choose to settle.

Unfortunately justice is mainly based on money,  or if you're female and get a "pussy pass"  but that's supposed to be different.

BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 04:17:58 AM

This is Charlie Lee at Coinbase. I can confirm that we are indeed in the SF financial district. The HQ pictures are not staged. lol

The reason why we don't publicize our actual address is for the exact reason mentioned in this thread. Like someone said, banks and jewelry shops have been robbed for a lot less money. We have implemented security measures (cold storage, key splitting, ninja guards, etc.) to prevent rogue employees and armed gunmen from stealing the bitcoin we have stored for our users, but people don't know that. After hearing stories of how BitStamp lost 19,000 BTC, a crazy guy might just think it's worth the risk to come rob our office. And if they manage to get through our security to get to our office and find out that we aren't able to access the bitcoin, they are not going to be very happy. You can all imagine that this is NOT a situation we want to ever see ourselves in.

A) We never claimed to be licensed in CA. The press did. I guess they just assumed we were. They also incorrectly claimed that we supported 25 states, when in fact we only supported 23 states + Puerto Rico at launch. We just started supporting Nebraska today.
B) The coinbase.com/lunar site was just a fun way to tease people on the internet and to create some buzz.
C) We've had USD wallets on Coinbase for 1.5 months now. You could have easily gotten money on our system and bought coins before we released the exchange. And if you had money in your USD wallet at launch, you would have been able to use our exchange immediately.
D) Our VC money is not meant to be used to speculate on Bitcoin price nor is it sane for us to support the Bitcoin price. We do not control the price. The market does.

Hilarious.  I guess all the banks and jewelry stores in the world should go into hiding.  We better throw in the liquor stores and even 7-11s too, I heard they get robbed as well.
yea jp morgan boa and goldman sachs should all go into hiding too. Wall st business have more of a reason to hide than some rinky dink exchange trying to enter the big boy pool.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
TheWiseandUnwise

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 02:03:24 PM

yea jp morgan boa and goldman sachs should all go into hiding too. Wall st business have more of a reason to hide than some rinky dink exchange trying to enter the big boy pool.

May I present the OP's response to some basic needling for all his hysterical (and hillarious) btching about this whole issue:

Can this get any better?  Grin

I can't make this up LOL
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 02:18:57 PM

Can this get any better?  Grin

I can't make this up LOL

Troll gets troll answer.  Roll Eyes

You obviously don't get the troll poke at your retarded thought process.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but shill internet trolls can never hurt me Tongue

TheWiseandUnwise

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 02:22:31 PM

Can this get any better?  Grin

I can't make this up LOL

Troll gets troll answer.  Roll Eyes

You obviously don't get the troll poke at your retarded thought process.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but shill internet trolls can never hurt me Tongue

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Fool and their money are easily parted. Top grade A evidence right here LOL Grin
BayAreaCoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 02:26:11 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Fool and their money are easily parted. Top grade A evidence right here LOL Grin

Stop spamming up the thread with the same shit over and over you fuck face troll.

TheWiseandUnwise

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 02:29:00 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Stop spamming up the thread with the same shit over and over you fuck face troll.

https://i.imgur.com/8boqSox.gif

Is that you getting btch slapped by others around this forum again and again and again?  Grin

Another for triple reminder Cheesy

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: