Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:55:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Full Node  (Read 2424 times)
worldinacoin (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 06:48:17 AM

Can anyone tell me of the advantages of running a Bitcoin full node?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 06:55:31 AM

You don't actually earn any money or something simillar the benefits are simply that your helping the network and protecting it.
you can read more about nodes on this article here : http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-nodes-need/

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:55:38 AM

Yes, it makes the network stronger and more resilient.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 07:57:48 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Full_node#Why_should_you_run_a_full_node.3F

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:05:52 AM

Do I understand this correctly, that asic miner aren't full nodes but "lightweight" nodes.

What does it mean? What functionality is lacking with asic miners?

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:11:15 AM

Do I understand this correctly, that asic miner aren't full nodes but "lightweight" nodes.

Full Node means, that you have the whole blockchain on your computer.
I am not sure, if asic miners are no full nodes. I thought, you would need the blockchain to mine, put thinking about it now, it should also work with getting the needed data from a centralized server.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 08:11:27 AM

Depends. Some think that running a full node on a home line is harming the network as you usually do not allow remote connections and you are not reliably online. This can be changed of course, configure your firewall accordingly and use an old machine as local server.

A full blown server (or actually cheap VPS with ~2 GB RAM is fine) with a dedicated IP will definitly help the network. Especially if you can get it to a stable state and do not have to restart it every other day.

Modern ASIC miners are no nodes at all, not even "lightweight" nodes. The light nodes would be wallet likes Multibit or most of the mobile clients. They need a full node to get information about blocks and transactions. A modern ASIC is designed to connect to a mining node that provides information, the ASIC does the hashing and returns information.

From the top of my head: full copy of the blockchain, the ability to relay transactions.

Edit: I think of ASIC miners as an external calculation unit of a full node (the pool). This picture might be wrong though, but I am pretty sure it isnt.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 08:28:07 AM

ASIC miners are generally not nodes at all. With the invention of "pooled" mining, it became possible to separate hash-power from the actual maintenance of the network.

This has some important security implications. If you don't monitor what your hash-power is doing, it can be used to attack the network without your knowledge. Luke-JR invented the "Get block template" protocol to allow pools to disclose the block being worked on to the miner. Luke-JR is also the one who used his pool's resources to attack a nascent alt-coin.

There exists a distributed Pool called P2Pool. This takes a fairly beefy computer to run (At least 1Ghz, 2GB RAM). Most hashers make do with much less.

Edit: running a full node uses more bandwidth as well: mostly depending on how many connections you allow. My node with up to 64 connections and P2Pool (16 connections) (and namecoin) was using about 100GB/month.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 10:01:12 AM

Security.
CryptKeeper
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:29:01 PM

Full Node means, that you have the whole blockchain on your computer.
I am not sure, if asic miners are no full nodes. I thought, you would need the blockchain to mine, put thinking about it now, it should also work with getting the needed data from a centralized server.

Thanks for the explanation! It's now clear, asic miners don't need a blockchain, IMHO the pool servers must have one because they provide the work for hashing.

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
CryptKeeper
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:31:31 PM

ASIC miners are generally not nodes at all. With the invention of "pooled" mining, it became possible to separate hash-power from the actual maintenance of the network.

This has some important security implications. If you don't monitor what your hash-power is doing, it can be used to attack the network without your knowledge. Luke-JR invented the "Get block template" protocol to allow pools to disclose the block being worked on to the miner. Luke-JR is also the one who used his pool's resources to attack a nascent alt-coin.

There exists a distributed Pool called P2Pool. This takes a fairly beefy computer to run (At least 1Ghz, 2GB RAM). Most hashers make do with much less.

Edit: running a full node uses more bandwidth as well: mostly depending on how many connections you allow. My node with up to 64 connections and P2Pool (16 connections) (and namecoin) was using about 100GB/month.

Depends. Some think that running a full node on a home line is harming the network as you usually do not allow remote connections and you are not reliably online. This can be changed of course, configure your firewall accordingly and use an old machine as local server.

A full blown server (or actually cheap VPS with ~2 GB RAM is fine) with a dedicated IP will definitly help the network. Especially if you can get it to a stable state and do not have to restart it every other day.

Modern ASIC miners are no nodes at all, not even "lightweight" nodes. The light nodes would be wallet likes Multibit or most of the mobile clients. They need a full node to get information about blocks and transactions. A modern ASIC is designed to connect to a mining node that provides information, the ASIC does the hashing and returns information.

From the top of my head: full copy of the blockchain, the ability to relay transactions.

Edit: I think of ASIC miners as an external calculation unit of a full node (the pool). This picture might be wrong though, but I am pretty sure it isnt.

Thank you guys for these thorough explanations, highly appreciated!
 Smiley

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:34:33 PM

You should run a full node onnly for support the bitcoin network, you don't have any other advantage.
CryptKeeper
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:45:58 PM

You should run a full node onnly for support the bitcoin network, you don't have any other advantage.

I'm confused, don't you receive the tx fees?  Huh

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:46:39 PM

No only the mining pool received the TX fees , it is a PoW coin not a PoS coin .
CryptKeeper
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:56:04 PM

No only the mining pool received the TX fees , it is a PoW coin not a PoS coin .

I thought only lightweight nodes and asic miners need a central server or pool. Full nodes should connect directly to other nodes.

Huh

CryptKeeper
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:59:28 PM

I thought only lightweight nodes and asic miners need a central server or pool. Full nodes should connect directly to other nodes.

Huh

OK, I've looked it up:
transaction fees of a transaction can only be collected by including it into a valid block. And to be able to include a transaction in a valid block you have to mine a valid block. If you would mine one block, you could collect the fees, but nowadays nobody does solo-mining I guess?

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 03:33:13 PM

Huh

OK, I've looked it up:
transaction fees of a transaction can only be collected by including it into a valid block. And to be able to include a transaction in a valid block you have to mine a valid block. If you would mine one block, you could collect the fees, but nowadays nobody does solo-mining I guess?

it is worth running a full node to keep the network strong if you can leave your computer on 24/7 and connected to internet

plenty of people still mine at home but you need decent hardware to make it worthwhile and cheap electric ,a cpu or gpu mining  would be losing you money thesedays i would imagine unless your power is free
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 03:34:39 PM

[...] but nowadays nobody does solo-mining I guess?

Of course they do. If you have enough equipment it is still possible. There are also solo mining pools by which the pool op takes care of the blockchain etc., but the hashing is not pooled together as on a regular pool. For example: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=763510.0 and http://bitsolo.net/

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 03:39:30 PM

When someone is running Bitcoin Core in his machine, is not he running a full node as long as he is connected to the internet ?

HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 03:58:56 PM

Well actually, it (only) makes the network more stable. You help distributing new transactions and keeping a copy of the latest blockchain available. You become a part of the whole Bitcoin ecosystem and thus help making it better! Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: