Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:41:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How does ancap deal with an oil spill?  (Read 5864 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:29:20 PM

You can't propose solutions to problems which you don't have knowledge of.

You didn't actually read that speech I linked to, did you?

Let's try this again...

http://mises.org/daily/3229

Let's not.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:29:54 PM

It's good that you are still waiting. Patience. And yes, you can't solve the world's problems in a vacuum of knowledge. Who would think otherwise?

I know something you would love! http://tinyurl.com/9a6at

BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:41:42 PM

It's good that you are still waiting. Patience. And yes, you can't solve the world's problems in a vacuum of knowledge. Who would think otherwise?

Why don't you summarize it for me instead?

Back to the issue at hand: economics and political theory need to factor in the fact that there are 7 billion people on this planet, not one million. The fact that you're arguing with me on this indicates a certain obtuseness on your part coupled with what I suspect is a somewhat starry eyed view of your political ideology.

Sorry, but I suggest you stop being an advocate for your own ignorance.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 08:46:28 PM

Oh yes, god forbid you click a link and read an article. Way too much work.

Roll Eyes

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
CoinDiver

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 09:17:35 PM

1) Read the link.
2) Reread my posts.
3) You're welcome.

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 09:44:34 PM

1) Read the link.
2) Reread my posts.
3) You're welcome.

A link to the definition of communism is rather tiresome. It indicates your level of thinking has attained a high school level of political maturity. Thank you for proving my point.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 09:53:28 PM

1) Read the link.
2) Reread my posts.
3) You're welcome.

A link to the definition of communism is rather tiresome. It indicates your level of thinking has attained a high school level of political maturity. Thank you for proving my point.

Congratulations! You clicked a link! Good job!

Do you need some ice for that finger?

Now... click on that Mises one, and this time, try actually reading more than the title.

Maybe you'll even get a cookie!

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 10:13:27 PM

Disclaimer: I'm not an AnCap myself and what follows is still science fiction.

The OP describes an externality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality
Oil spills are no different, they could be handled with Coasian bargaining.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coase_Theorem

This requires strong property rights, rational actors, and very low transaction costs. Strong property and low transaction costs are already in the works: for example, Namecoin has strong property rights, and a digital cash server with an open API (like Open Transactions) could be automated for very low transaction costs. Rational actors are beyond science fiction and in the realm of fantasy, but large groups (like oil spill victims) approach rational behavior when viewed collectively.

I'm of the opinion that the only reason the world hasn't advanced to anarchy is because we haven't built all the necessary tools yet. But we're close.
CoinDiver

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 10:14:07 PM

A link to the definition of communism is rather tiresome.

But it's so complicated! You can jerk your mind off all incessantly and it still wont work.

Read the Hayek speech, then we'll talk. It's was the link I was referring to.

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 10:16:22 PM

But it's so complicated! You can jerk your mind off all incessantly and it still wont work.

So? Who wants communism?
CoinDiver

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 10:20:00 PM

So? Who wants communism?

FirstAscent want's something to mentally masterbate to. Ancap ain't it. That's the point he is missing. READ THE HAYEK!

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 05:50:28 AM

Ignorance and agendas unique to an individual or entity will generally ensure that full property rights are not a long term solution (nor a short term solution) to resources which undergo transformation when processed for consumption, or resources which receive collateral damage due to other processes.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:35:24 AM

(I'm the oil company)

Fuck you and your fish. I'm not paying jack shit. I'm going to continue raping mother earth because it makes me filthy fucking rich. You want me to fix everything and pay those bleeding-heart fag-loving commy hippies on the beach, wiping off the black, slimy, baby seagulls with baby wipes and a motherly touch? Sorry. That doesn't make me money.

What's that? you don't like it? You are paying a private agency to attack my offshore rigs with guns and boats? I'm filthy fucking rich. My guns are louder, dick longer, boats bigger.

What's that? You want to start your own rigs and run me out of business because consumers hate me and would rather buy your hippie fair-trade certified oil? Too bad, because the entry is too damn expensive. No, you know what? I'll let you waste millions to get your kickstarter funded rig up and running. Then I'll lower prices, because I can, because I paid off these rigs 20 years ago. I will drive you into the dirt.
/devilsadvocate

This is anarcho-capitalism.

So what happens next? millions of people form a consensus that this is evil, and form an alliance to overthrow the oilmongers. (this is what we call democracy). Government is a meaningless label. Power exists and always will. Whether it's a company, a cartel, a king, or a consensus; people will be "governed" regardless.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:39:26 AM

These "Protection agencies" would, for all intents and purposes, become governing bodies. They would have to decide on sets of "rules" for members to be bound by in arbitration... which would effectively become laws. You would pay these "Protection agencies" a "membership fee", which would effectively be a tax. They would fulfill all the useful roles of government, without out all the bloat. The most significant difference is we would all have a choice. Protection Agency A, Protection Agency B, Protection Agency z, no protection agency, etc....

The most honest answer to any of these "How does ancap deal with..." questions is "I don't know, and it doesn't matter". The point is not how we can force everyone to live a "better" life, but how naturally we can't force anyone to do anything. The government is an evil corporate monopoly, and should be put down.

Except that the defining factor of a tax is that it is compulsory. The modern tax system, as well, is designed so that it's nearly impossible for the individual to figure out how much, if anything, they owe. So the fees which one would pay to a protection agency, which are completely voluntary, and necessarily quite simple to understand, are nothing like taxes.

I can't agree. I know exactly what I owe and it's not hard to understand what is going on.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:58:03 AM

(I'm the oil company)

Fuck you and your fish. I'm not paying jack shit. I'm going to continue raping the earth because it makes me filthy fucking rich. You want me to fix everything and pay those bleeding-heart fag-loving commy hippies on the beach, wiping off the black, slimy, baby seagulls with baby wipes and a motherly touch? Sorry. That doesn't make me money.
Fuck you and your oil. I'll drive electric.
What's that? you don't like it? You are paying a private agency to attack my offshore rigs with guns and boats? I'm filthy fucking rich. My guns are louder, dick longer, boats bigger.
Hmm... No, your dick is not bigger than my aerial bombardment. We can climb this tree, if you want, or we can negotiate peacefully. Your choice.
What's that? You want to start your own rigs and run me out of business because consumers hate me and would rather buy your hippie fair-trade certified oil? Too bad, because the entry is too damn expensive. No, you know what? I'll let you waste millions to get your kickstarter funded rig up and running. Then I'll lower prices, because I can, because I paid off these rigs 20 years ago. I will drive you into the dirt.
/devilsadvocate
Hey, sure. But my hippy-friendly oil rig is paid off, and my payroll account is good for a year, because the people really fucking hate you. My kickstarter campaign tripled my goal. Free gas for everyone! How long can you keep that up, and the defense of your rig(s)?

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:16:07 AM

(I'm the oil company)

Fuck you and your fish. I'm not paying jack shit. I'm going to continue raping the earth because it makes me filthy fucking rich. You want me to fix everything and pay those bleeding-heart fag-loving commy hippies on the beach, wiping off the black, slimy, baby seagulls with baby wipes and a motherly touch? Sorry. That doesn't make me money.
Hmm... No, your dick is not bigger than my aerial bombardment. We can climb this tree, if you want, or we can negotiate peacefully. Your choice.
/devilsadvocate
Hey, sure. But my hippy-friendly oil rig is paid off, and my payroll account is good for a year, because the people really fucking hate you. My kickstarter campaign tripled my goal. Free gas for everyone! How long can you keep that up, and the defense of your rig(s)?

Lol! Good points here.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:12:45 PM

(I'm the oil company)

Why aren't we all doing that right now? What stopped Mr. AnCap, the entrepreneur, from already making that happen?

That's real good for the environment when the well head starts gushing. Not a solution, Mr. AnCap dreamer.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:17:09 PM

(I'm the oil company)

Why aren't we all doing that right now? What stopped Mr. AnCap, the entrepreneur, from already making that happen?
Isn't the answer to this obvious? The government!

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:35:03 PM

(I'm the oil company)

Really? You're an idiot. The government is giving money to Tesla Motors and others. Sorry, you libertarian clown (and I mean that collectively), as usual, your one line retorts are neither indicative of thought, knowledge or research, but as usual, knee jerk reactions.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:46:24 PM

Really? You're an idiot. The government is giving money to Tesla Motors and others. Sorry, you libertarian clown (and I mean that collectively), as usual, your one line retorts are neither indicative of thought, knowledge or research, but as usual, knee jerk reactions.
Character assassination? I would expect nothing less!

Here's some information I was able to find within a few minutes (do note that I have not actively researched this area):
http://rense.com/general72/oinvent.htm
http://www.broandrew.com/suppression.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfj1O45qZ5U

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: