Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:52:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Penalty for Drug Smuggler  (Read 2794 times)
izanagi narukami (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 05:41:07 PM

The execution in Indonesia of six death row prisoners early last Sunday, including five foreigners,
convicted of drug smuggling and the refusal by president Joko Widodo to grant clemency from the death penalty
for Myuran Sukumaran has cast into sharp relief his likely fate and that of fellow death row prisoner Andrew Chan.

resource : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-21/kingsbury-death-row-a-tragic-lesson-for-australian-travellers/6028996

I agree, drug smuggler must be punish and receive death penalty.

But some of country , there are some controversy about death penalty as a punishment.
So what do you think about it ? Is it right decision to punish them with death penalty or they deserve remission ?

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 05:50:05 PM

The execution in Indonesia of six death row prisoners early last Sunday, including five foreigners,
convicted of drug smuggling and the refusal by president Joko Widodo to grant clemency from the death penalty
for Myuran Sukumaran has cast into sharp relief his likely fate and that of fellow death row prisoner Andrew Chan.

resource : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-21/kingsbury-death-row-a-tragic-lesson-for-australian-travellers/6028996

I agree, drug smuggler must be punish and receive death penalty.

But some of country , there are some controversy about death penalty as a punishment.
So what do you think about it ? Is it right decision to punish them with death penalty or they deserve remission ?

This is a total violation of human rights, the fact that you wish someone dead for drugs, disgusting.....

erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:00:56 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 09:06:00 PM by erre

Are you serious? Killing a person because he was smuggling drugs? You indonesians have also the death penalty for marijuana, I think you should deserve the same international treatment as ISIS for this.

Plus, seems  like this is not working at all to take the drugs out of your country's streets.

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
coinz19

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:30:11 PM

The whole point is that it does not matter what we think about the laws in another countrys.
That's why our world has so many wars. If the Indonesian people are ok with it, that's good enough for me.
(oYo)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 06:42:05 PM

This is a total violation of human rights, the fact that you wish someone dead for drugs, disgusting.....

Sure it sounds harsh from a strictly academic point of view, but you may think differently if some drug dealer was trying to get your kids hooked on crack or heroin.

biscotaste

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:22:06 PM

Sorry, no sympathy here.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:28:02 PM

You are asking about an authoritarian nightmare: How can anyone think it is OK to kill people for trying to move drugs?

saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 08:21:45 PM

does not work as a deterrent against murders, does work as a deterrent in money crimes such as these

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
Outlander
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 08:33:48 PM

The death penalty should be applied for corruptor too.
Indonesia in the 1st rank in Asia Pacific as the most corrupt nation.

Furio
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 08:59:32 PM

Sure it sounds harsh from a strictly academic point of view, but you may think differently if some drug dealer was trying to get your kids hooked on crack or heroin.

Tryin to get your kid hooked on crack and heroin, those are the two most extreme drugs. Alot of people get killed for alot less, a substance is a substance, choices are choices, but a human life is much more worth then that.

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:10:21 PM

does not work as a deterrent against murders, does work as a deterrent in money crimes such as these

I wouldn't use only "how effective it is" as a guideline here - there is also the issue of morality, and what other solutions might exist, that aren't being pursued. Personally, I don't think there is any justification for using the death penalty; not only in this case, but in just about any case I can think of.

Of course, as (oYo) points out, it's easy to have this view if you have no personal connection to the victims; but as harsh as it might be, in my view, that should have no bearing on the situation.
SOAD

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:17:50 PM

Are you serious? Killing a person because he was smuggling drugs? You indonesians have also the death penalty for marijuana, I think you should deserve the same international treatment as ISIS for this.

Plus, seems  like this is not working at all to take the drugs out of your country's streets.

Though I don't agree with them the punishments are so severe as a warning and deterrent to people not to smuggle drugs and if they do they will face the consequences. Some of these countries see the import of drugs as a heinous crime that can go on to cause much damage to their citizens so they react this way.

(oYo)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 10:19:15 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 05:30:51 AM by (oYo)

I wouldn't use only "how effective it is" as a guideline here - there is also the issue of morality, and what other solutions might exist, that aren't being pursued. Personally, I don't think there is any justification for using the death penalty; not only in this case, but in just about any case I can think of.

Of course, as (oYo) points out, it's easy to have this view if you have no personal connection to the victims; but as harsh as it might be, in my view, that should have no bearing on the situation.

Indeed, the first line of defense against drug abuse is love and education.

<Insert unpopular opinion puffin meme here>
But, (hypothetically speaking) what if someone literally put a gun to your kid's head and made them do it with the intention of getting them addicted? (I know this sounds extreme, but it's not really that far off from what really does go on.) This degenerate is basically trying to destroy your child's life and in my eyes deserves no less than the destruction of theirs in return. It has nothing to do with being a deterrent, but more to do with ridding society of such professional scumbags. The sorry truth is that these people aren't likely to be rehabilitated and will only become worse and more dangerous over time. And, if so, why should good people be saddled with the burden of supporting the life of these people in prisons, where they hone their skills? I feel the same way towards pimps and rapists. I have more respect for the life of a cockroach rat than I do for these types of people. These are not victimless crimes. People's lives are literally destroyed by these people. If the bleeding hearts want to support and rehabilitate these degenerates, then let it be on their own dime and perhaps they should also be held equally responsible for any future misdeeds done by them.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 10:47:21 PM

Killing drug smugglers not in immediate self-defense just raises the premium on drugs. Suppliers and dealers get richer, users get poorer.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:03:21 PM

Killing drug smugglers not in immediate self-defense just raises the premium on drugs. Suppliers and dealers get richer, users get poorer.

Very smart analysis about why this can't ever work besides any moral, just like prohibitionism.

And, by the way, if your kids becomes drug addicted don't blame the pusher and expecially don't ask the state to kill him, taking your role as a father will do much more.

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
(oYo)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 11:08:11 PM

Very smart analysis about why this can't ever work besides any moral, just like prohibitionism.

And, by the way, if your kids becomes drug addicted don't blame the pusher and expecially don't ask the state to kill him, taking your role as a father will do much more.

I agree with you both, yet still hold my position.

TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:12:45 PM

In the meantime...

Indonesia pays "blood money" to save maid from execution in Saudi Arabia

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/03/world/meast/saudi-arabia-indonesia-maid/

<< Indonesia's government has stepped in at the eleventh hour to help save an Indonesian woman on death row in Saudi Arabia from being executed this weekend. Satinah Binti Jumadi Ahmad, a 40-year old working as a housemaid in the Gulf kingdom, was sentenced to death in 2011 after she reportedly admitted to killing her 70-year-old female employer and stealing approximately $10,000. She said it was in self-defense as her boss had been trying to attack her at the time. >>

They will execute people for drug smuggling, but will pay to save the life of a murderer.

Indonesian scum.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:07:20 AM

its justified when not carrying it out is likely to result in damage to more people which is why many countries retain it for times or war to prevent desertion and complete destruction of the state. this is a third world country that has't got resources to imprison hundreds of thousands more people and fight a war on drugs.

lindsay sandiford (bali deathrow woman) is sort of a family friend if that counts

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
Furio
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:46:43 AM

People don't seem to get that  the vast majority of drug users are normal people who just take drugs now en then and have a functionally life, sometimes even kids. Not everybody walks around with a needle in his arm.... again, less then 3% of people develop a problem, yet over 25% of people have trouble either with food intake or alcohol..... If you feel lik eevery drug user is a junky, governments have succeeded in their propaganda and criminalizing substance taking.... Which is as old as cavemen, maybe even older then the oldest profession Wink

(oYo)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 07:12:56 AM

People don't seem to get that  the vast majority of drug users are normal people who just take drugs now en then and have a functionally life, sometimes even kids. Not everybody walks around with a needle in his arm.... again, less then 3% of people develop a problem, yet over 25% of people have trouble either with food intake or alcohol..... If you feel lik eevery drug user is a junky, governments have succeeded in their propaganda and criminalizing substance taking.... Which is as old as cavemen, maybe even older then the oldest profession Wink

I've known enough people that snorted and/or smoked cocaine and/or heroin to know it's not the end of the world for them at that stage. They can even lead relatively normal lives. (I've even been there myself.) I've also seen what happens to people once they get into using needles. All of them were severely dysfunctional and I've never seen anyone come back from it, although I'm sure even that's possible, just extremely unlikely. Those lives were destroyed and I'd hate to see that happen to anyone, especially someone I care for. So, from personal experience I can tell you, it's not an easy thing to recover from once you head down that road, and at some point (like when you use needles) it's basically impossible. Sure excessive eating, drinking alcohol, even too much sex can become a serious problem, but I promise you, dealing with those addictions are child's play compared to coke or heroin. I'm also 99.99% positive you won't find anyone who mainlines either drug posting in this or any other forum for that matter, however I'm quite confident you'll find plenty who do like the smell of coke here. Wink

Btw, cocaine or heroin was definitely NOT being used by cavemen. The average coca leaf contains from 0.5 to 1 % of the alkaloid cocaine, so chewing on the leaves of coca plants, which actually has some health benefits and is what South American indigenous peoples have been doing for over a thousand years, has far less potency and is not even remotely comparable to using the now common powdered form of cocaine, regardless of which method you choose.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: