Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:55:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitSlack - bitcoin OS in development  (Read 8864 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 07:37:00 AM

I started a little project, a minimalistic install of slackware for people that use bitcoin and I need your feedback to know what software would you like in it.
So far we have Tor, Privoxy and it's GUI, Vidalia and as a WM, XFCE.
I'd like to know if Tor should be enabled system-wide by default too.

PS. The project will be free.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eugene2k

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 10:12:26 AM

I think you should first define your priorities. Why would anybody want to use your OS? Surely not just because it has a few programs installed by default?
Anonymous

July 29, 2010, 10:19:49 AM

I think you should first define your priorities. Why would anybody want to use your OS? Surely not just because it has a few programs installed by default?

Something lightweight like this would be nice on a low powered device I call a "transaction computer".You could transfer your coin to your ultra secure "transaction computer" and know there is an extremely small chance any trading is trackable or logged.Maybe such a device would only connect to the network to send and receive your coins and then close up tighter than a fish's bum otherwise lol.
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 10:33:45 PM

Do you have a project page?

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 10:40:45 PM

Something lightweight like this would be nice on a low powered device I call a "transaction computer".You could transfer your coin to your ultra secure "transaction computer" and know there is an extremely small chance any trading is trackable or logged.Maybe such a device would only connect to the network to send and receive your coins and then close up tighter than a fish's bum otherwise lol.

The transaction database isn't really lightweight in terms of disk space, especially if bitcoins become popular.

So, if a transaction computer needs disk space, why not install a normal distro with better support?

Any micro-distribution is going to be under-audited, and suffer a lag time on security patches to the base OS -- not exactly the ideal target for a "locked up tight" transaction computer.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Anonymous

July 30, 2010, 06:53:12 AM

The transaction database isn't really lightweight in terms of disk space, especially if bitcoins become popular.

So, if a transaction computer needs disk space, why not install a normal distro with better support?

Any micro-distribution is going to be under-audited, and suffer a lag time on security patches to the base OS -- not exactly the ideal target for a "locked up tight" transaction computer.

Is a client device possible with your server/desktop sitting at home which you could vpn into?
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

View Profile
July 30, 2010, 06:58:56 AM

Is a client device possible with your server/desktop sitting at home which you could vpn into?

Sure.  That's reinventing the client terminal, a dumb hardware device that communicates with a backend payment system.

jgarzik
Legendary
qt

View Profile
July 31, 2010, 09:01:03 PM

Another thing to consider is patent issues inherent in the bitcoin implementation.

bitcoin requires EC-DSA, which has been disabled in Fedora after legal review:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_patents

I wanted to package bitcoind for Fedora, but gave up, because we cannot distribute binaries due to these patent issues.

wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2010, 10:36:10 AM

Project discontinued due to lack of positive feedback.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: