Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:36:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fractional reserve bitcoin  (Read 1911 times)
stan.distortion (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:19:29 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2015, 12:29:00 PM by stan.distortion

Curious about the trolls methods? http://pastebin.com/irj4Fyd5
Manipulation of public discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYAQ-ZZtEU
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:23:07 PM

This can only happen if exchanges sell their own IOU as Bitcoin.

BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:33:19 PM

Audits aren't good enough, and exchanges can and do manipulate the market. We need more decentralized exchanges with cashouts at atms like the darkwallet team has done.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:43:32 PM

good for owner of bitcoin ... the exact author of fractional reserve of bitcoin (or other named : leverage at 10-25x) ... will be faill like mt gox or other stealed exchange.

or other named : the 0% fee trading exchange.

well, it's the game, too.
don't blame the bitcoin when 83% of the actor on the FOREX system loose all money ...  Grin
colinistheman

Activity: 884
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:01:41 PM

I could see this becoming an issue with exchanges who don't publicly prove their solvency.

I keep myself safe by not holding any btc in an exchange. If you're not a trader then get your btc off the exchange as soon as possible always! Then you're safe.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Tdowns

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:54:35 PM

Stupid idea huh? Well its happening, right now there could be hundreds of thousands of fake bitcoin changing hands. How can this happen, doesn't the blockchain make this impossible? Yes but they're not changing hands on the blockchain, they're being traded on the exchanges with no form of verification whatsoever, even the existence of those coins on the exchanges isn't verifiable. Would you sell me something if I all I did was say I had the coins to pay for it and you could claim them any time you liked? Thousands did just that with Gox and got burned.

Audits are a step in the right direction but the last audits where months ago, there's some exceptions but there shouldn't even be a need for them, trades should be settled every block into user controlled multisig wallets with timelocks in case of failure. The need for trust is eliminated with Bitcoin but the exchanges aren't operating that way, they expect users to trust them and everywhere that's happened throughout history its been abused.

This will probably be the future of bitcoin soon enough
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 12:31:49 AM

Who cares about off-blockchain transactions?
If you don't live any BTC on any exchange, that's a non issue.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 01:30:16 AM

I don't see why 100% provable reserves won't become the de facto standard, and consumers will not accept anything less.

digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 02:13:09 AM

This can only happen if exchanges sell their own IOU as Bitcoin.

This is what they are doing and fractional reserve is likely to be happening with EVERY exchange that does not provide a live updates or even a daily updates of their coin held/owed to their users.  Large exchanges like Cryptsy can get away with it for now as they have enough users and bitcoin coming to maintain it,  but they have increased their fees, while decreased and delayed dividend payouts to their shareholders on Cryptostocks (from weekly, to monthly, to whenever Vern feels like it, and payouts get smaller each time) could be seen as an attempt to stall or reverse a growing debt in bitcoin before it becomes a problem for them.

I have very little trust for exchanges that have popped up since the 2013 bubble and don't provide some proof or their reserves/liquidity.  Bittrex, Polo, C-Cex, Bter, Bleu. 
Unfortunately the more honest exchanges dont get the volume that brings the users, thats brings the volume, that brings the users and so on. 

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
colinistheman

Activity: 884
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:00:59 AM

I could see this becoming an issue with exchanges who don't publicly prove their solvency.

I keep myself safe by not holding any btc in an exchange. If you're not a trader then get your btc off the exchange as soon as possible always! Then you're safe.

Even then its the speculators providing a reference to fiat and if they're doing it with fake coins that can damage security.

True I hadn't thought about that. It does still provides an artificial inflation to those trading.

Hopefully this then:

I don't see why 100% provable reserves won't become the de facto standard, and consumers will not accept anything less.

There is not any good reason why this shouldn't be the case. Hopefully it will be.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 03:14:25 AM

Examples? I thought we would see proof of transactions in exchanges after the mt gox debacle (I haven't used an exchange in over a year).

digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 03:40:26 AM

Examples? I thought we would see proof of transactions in exchanges after the mt gox debacle (I haven't used an exchange in over a year).

There are several exchanges that do provide proof of some sort but they can not compete with the likes of mintpal/crypsty/bittrex/bter that are able to provide the volume and depth that brings the traders.
heres a few that do:

https://www.atomic-trade.com/liquidity - simplified totals for each coin that shows whats in users accounts, exchange wallets and the difference between the two if any.
https://exco.in/reserves - provides addresses with signed message to prove ownership
https://www.usecryptos.com/transparency
https://exchange.coinport.com/open#/reserve - Very detailed info and can be further verified using their Audit feature.

But people still flock to the secretive exchanges like cryptsy and bittrex,  that make no attempt to prove the coins being traded exist.  High volume and twitter pump groups that are allowed to operate on those exchanges all keep this going.

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
nikona

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:49:25 AM

I do just that..n I expect everyone who is not a trader to do that..better safe than sorry.
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:20:09 AM

Stupid idea huh? Well its happening, right now there could be hundreds of thousands of fake bitcoin changing hands. How can this happen, doesn't the blockchain make this impossible? Yes but they're not changing hands on the blockchain, they're being traded on the exchanges with no form of verification whatsoever, even the existence of those coins on the exchanges isn't verifiable. Would you sell me something if I all I did was say I had the coins to pay for it and you could claim them any time you liked? Thousands did just that with Gox and got burned.

Audits are a step in the right direction but the last audits where months ago, there's some exceptions but there shouldn't even be a need for them, trades should be settled every block into user controlled multisig wallets with timelocks in case of failure. The need for trust is eliminated with Bitcoin but the exchanges aren't operating that way, they expect users to trust them and everywhere that's happened throughout history its been abused.

I would estimate that right now most exchanges have at least the same amount of bitcoins that the total of their clients balances.
Vessko

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:24:45 AM

Factional reserve banking based on Bitcoin is perfectly possible and will not increase the amount of existing bitcoins (although it will increase the money supply in a broader sense, with money equivalents).

But I don't think that this is what you are talking about. You are looking for proof of solvency of the exchanges. I don't think that this is possible. Sure, they can provide proof of reserves - but there is no way to prove that these reserves are exactly equal to the funds deposited by their clients.
picolo

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:31:44 AM

Factional reserve banking based on Bitcoin is perfectly possible and will not increase the amount of existing bitcoins (although it will increase the money supply in a broader sense, with money equivalents).

But I don't think that this is what you are talking about. You are looking for proof of solvency of the exchanges. I don't think that this is possible. Sure, they can provide proof of reserves - but there is no way to prove that these reserves are exactly equal to the funds deposited by their clients.

If you audit them or they give a serial number for each account and a public list of the btc held by each account everyday so you can check if they control addresses corresponding to the total of bitcoins or more and each client can check if his number is right.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 12:07:27 PM

I think this can be only be verified through auditors but just asking myself, which exchanger actually practice that in order to prove their solvency. Personally the safest way is to withdraw all bitcoins and keep it with me. If I need to trade, I would rather pay the fees to transfer to the account and back, so long that I don't maintain my coins in there.

ijphlrnxewho
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 12:09:48 PM

People can sue those companies for illegally using Bitcoin.
picolo

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 12:11:08 PM

People can use those companies for illegally using Bitcoin.

illegaly acquired bitcoins?
ijphlrnxewho
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 12:12:49 PM

People can use those companies for illegally using Bitcoin.

illegaly acquired bitcoins?

*typo

People can *sue those companies for illegally using Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: