Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:13:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin "stabilize" at more, or less than the current price?  (Read 3134 times)
BitNerd (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:22:20 PM

According to my current understanding, Bitcoin will always tend to increase its value because of being deflationary. But when BTC finally stabilizes and functions like other rare resources, such as gold, will its price be higher or lower than the current (around $250)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:26:21 PM

According to my current understanding, Bitcoin will always tend to increase its value because of being deflationary. But when BTC finally stabilizes and functions like other rare resources, such as gold, will its price be higher or lower than the current (around $250)?

Bitcoin is disinflationary not deflationary. A Subtle distinction, but an important one that reveals why we have seen capitulation during the last year despite it being a fantastic year by any other metric. We currently have ~10% inflation where almost 3600BTC have to be purchased daily to maintain price parity.

It won't stabilize anytime soon, expect massive volatility during the next 5 years, with another appreciating bubble within late 2015 till late 2016 at the latest.(If we don't see any adoption bubbles before than. ) This is because Inflation will drop to 5% in mid 2016.

Bitcoin may eventually become as stable as USD/Euro in 20 or more years with a large enough market cap.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 09:34:26 PM

"There is a common fallacy which says that price stability is required in order for a currency to function as a form of money. The way people use terms like store of value and unit of account presumes stability. However, I will show that in an unstable world, a stable currency is counterproductive and furthermore that serves the traditional purposes of money, to the extent that they can be meaningfully defined in unstable conditions.

First of all, it is impossible, long-term, to expect an algorithm to maintain the stability of a currency. There will always be money to be made by predicting the algorithm’s future effect on supply, and once people have learned to do so then the algorithm necessarily ceases to achieve its desired results. For someone who gains by anticipating such an algorithm is not producing something valuable that other people want to buy, so he must be gaining off of other investors, who are losing. That means other people holding the currency, which means that the currency cannot possibly be stable—either it is dropping in price, or the supply is rapidly declining. (The outcome would depend on the details of the prescription.) This can continue until the market cap of the currency goes to zero. In order to succeed at manipulating the price to keep it stable, the prescription must never allow traders to adapt to it, and this means it must continually be smarter than everyone else. This is not something anyone can reliably guarantee, especially a Bitcoin startup, if history is any guide. This is the same reason that attempts to create crypto-equities that track the price of gold or dollars and other things through protocols like ProtoShares and Mastercoin won’t work. It is also why the federal reserve is traditionally so secretive, why the chairman tries to talk without saying anything, and why his or her every move is so deeply scrutinized.

Stability is about as real as the fountain of youth, love potions, or perpetual motion machines. It is not to be found anywhere in the universe but for some reason people act as if such a thing could somehow exist. Prices reflect the availabilities of things that we actually can have, so maybe we should all stop searching for chimera of stability and accept that if the world is unstable, than prices ought to be unstable too. Otherwise prices could not serve the function of enabling people to coordinate the allocation of scarce resources."

Source: http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/bitcoin-as-a-store-of-value-unit-of-account-and-medium-of-exchange/

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
BitNerd (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:48:35 PM

Thank you guys, I liked all the replies, but what I asked is will btc stabilize (at least not randomly doubling and halving its price as it does now), will it be more than the current price, or less?

About it not being deflationary, what about people losing their keys and losing their btc forever? Is that not deflation?
a fool and his money ...

Activity: 616
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:10:08 PM

topic needs to go to speculation section

Bitcoin isn't deflationary and all that gibberish about gold is hype right now and nothing else
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:54:27 PM

Let me check my crystal ball and get back to you.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:55:34 PM

Thank you guys, I liked all the replies, but what I asked is will btc stabilize (at least not randomly doubling and halving its price as it does now)not anytime soon, possibly in 5-20 years, will it be more than the current price, or less? Likely, increase in price due to supply and demand and future adoption trends. Likely you will see more violent appreciating bubbles followed by crashes landing on higher supports.

About it not being deflationary, what about people losing their keys and losing their btc forever? Is that not deflation?

This won't happen till ~2140-

For Bitcoin to be technically deflationary the lost coins have to exceed the minting, as BTC value goes up expect less and less people to lose them.

BitNerd (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:07:08 PM

At least it's a low and highly predictable inflation?
inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:15:43 PM

At least it's a low and highly predictable inflation?

Depends on what you consider High?

The US has some of the lowest inflation at 5-8% a year (when you properly calculate the CPI for food /fuel/ healthcare inflation)

Venezuela has some of the highest inflation right now at over 63%.

Thus Bitcoin already has much lower inflation than many forms of fiat. Bitcoin will start to match the inflation numbers of the US in 2016 and drop to really low inflation in 2022.

Bitcoin represents an experiment with one of the first international disinflationary currencies with a fixed distribution curve. We have no idea how this will turn out and there is always a possibility that it will always remain volatile(but not expected with large market cap)

DoubleTrouble

Activity: 223

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:20:11 PM

The problem lyes with simple supply and demand. Every block there is 25 bitcoins and considering maybe half are dumped pretty quickly that means every ten minutes 3,000 dollars needs to be put into the newtwork to keep things stable. I think the lower the block reward goes (Still a  few years away I believe) the greater forms of stabilization we will see.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:25:44 PM

The problem lyes with simple supply and demand. Every block there is 25 bitcoins and considering maybe half are dumped pretty quickly that means every ten minutes 3,000 dollars needs to be put into the newtwork to keep things stable. I think the lower the block reward goes (Still a  few years away I believe) the greater forms of stabilization we will see.

The selling of 80-90% of BTC to cover electrical costs and asics places steady downward pressure upon price but not necessarily volatility. The volatility comes from the fact that the market cap is less than 4 billion and there are still around 1k bagholders with 1-10k bitcoins that can create wild swings in exchanges. Higher market cap, higher liquidity, and greater distribution (all likely to happen with time) will remove most volatility.

wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:35:28 PM

i think it will fall more and it will hit around 150$ and then it will rise again in future now its time to hold btc and sale them for good price in future

sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:35:13 AM

If there are bitcoin mined, of course bitcoin price will be less than now
And "stabilize" won't happen if people still use bitcoin as investment (buy at low & sell at high)

Wait for next halving & you will see bitcoin price rise up
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:41:41 AM

Its certainly not deflationary now. Its the huge inflation which is contributing to the price crash.
If you're talking of when 21m coins have been mined then you need to keep in mind that Bitcoin may be a relic by then.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Divinespark

Activity: 938

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 08:00:06 AM

My guess is significantly higher than that
Let's see

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Divinespark

Activity: 938

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 08:01:40 AM

Right now, forward looking inflation is at around 11-12% which makes it exponentially more inflationary than the USD
It will get more interesting after the next halving in mid 2016, but expect a rocky ride

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 08:06:13 AM

I believe that btc will either stabilise at above $20k per coin or go to zero
Completely binary play

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 09:40:54 AM

I believe that btc will either stabilise at above $20k per coin or go to zero
Completely binary play
This. The current price is completely ridiculous for the long term. Either Bitcoin is worth way, WAY more than this, or zero.

Considering the huge possibilities and benefits of Bitcoin compared to traditional payment system, as well as the shaky foundations of fiat (they're printing USD and EUR out of thin air like there's no tomorrow), my bet is on Bitcoin going up. Or fiat going down, depending on how you look at it.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Demille

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 09:46:45 AM

It all depends on level of adoption and merchant acceptance, but I think bitcoin has a far higher potential value than what it is worth now. Bitcoin will likely have to keep rising so the miners keep mining as it won't be profitable for them to do so.
Giggs

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:08:10 AM

If bitcoin is ever going to stabalize it'll be a lot higher than what it is now. I think we need to break away in giving value to bitcoin in fiat terms as it's always likely to remain volatile this way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: