Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:16:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin "stabilize" at more, or less than the current price?  (Read 3134 times)
TheWiseandUnwise

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:16:34 AM

It's going down further. Right now it's just a dead cat bounce.
TYT

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:21:02 AM

Who knows what price bitcoin will stabilize at. It's a crazy roller coaster of ups and downs so just hold tight and enjoy the ride.
Sharpe

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:22:09 AM

Personally I think it will stabilize somewhere in the thousands. I think it will take several years to reach this though. I hope the price goes up a little soon though as it could cause problems for the miners.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 10:33:57 AM

I hope the price goes up a little soon though as it could cause problems for the miners.
What's the problem, exactly? Huh Mining will, by the very definition of how Bitcoin is set up, always remain profitable for enough miners.

If price goes down, or more people start mining, it will become too expensive for some miners, so some will stop.
If price goes up, or some people stop mining, it will become more profitable to mine, so more people will start mining.

No problem whatsoever.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:18:48 AM

If bitcoin is ever going to stabalize it'll be a lot higher than what it is now. I think we need to break away in giving value to bitcoin in fiat terms as it's always likely to remain volatile this way.

I think the price is likely to go up in the following months.
Bitcoinexp

Activity: 544

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 11:36:07 AM

I doubt it'll ever stabilize in the near future, much less at the current price. I think that if it ever does stabilize and is actually still being utilized, it'll probably be much higher than it is now. Mass adoption will probably be the only thing that can marginally stabilize it. By which time, the December fluctuations last year will seem as tiny as the initial 30$ price tag for one bitcoin.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 11:57:52 AM

According to my current understanding, Bitcoin will always tend to increase its value because of being deflationary. But when BTC finally stabilizes and functions like other rare resources, such as gold, will its price be higher or lower than the current (around $250)?

I presume when btc finally stabilizes that is when two more halvings already took place. So with only limited supply being introduced to the market, and if demands continues to be strong buoyed by use of btc as a currency, most likely I'm sure price will be up.

microbial

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 12:05:17 PM

only psychic know for sure

picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 12:13:07 PM

I doubt it'll ever stabilize in the near future, much less at the current price. I think that if it ever does stabilize and is actually still being utilized, it'll probably be much higher than it is now. Mass adoption will probably be the only thing that can marginally stabilize it. By which time, the December fluctuations last year will seem as tiny as the initial 30$ price tag for one bitcoin.

The volatility is likely to go down as the adoption is bigger and the price reflects the current market and not mostly a speculation about the future market.
Bitcoinexp

Activity: 544

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 12:28:41 PM

The volatility is likely to go down as the adoption is bigger and the price reflects the current market and not mostly a speculation about the future market.

Just my opinion on the matter.  Smiley Basically, I'm rooting for the geminii project to stabilize the value of bitcoin besides boosting it up.
bitcart

Activity: 94

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 02:17:17 PM

It'll level off for now and rise 3 fold in 2015. There are too many large investors in the game now and 2015 looks like a big year for bitcoin so it is hard to see it decreasing in my opinion.

www.bitcart.io
Bitcart - spend bitcoins online and save!
Buy Amazon gift cards with bitcoin and save up to 20% off
Frijj

Activity: 66

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 02:22:04 PM

I can't see it stabilizing ever. What would have to happen for it to do so? I think bitcoin is an experimental technology and as so it's going to be going up and down for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see it happen but I just can't see it.
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 02:26:26 PM

According to my current understanding, Bitcoin will always tend to increase its value because of being deflationary.
Wrong.

But when BTC finally stabilizes and functions like other rare resources, such as gold, will its price be higher or lower than the current (around $250)?
Zero
Zendikar

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:06:01 PM

My guess is BTC will die before it sees 'stabilization' should it ever die.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 03:08:45 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 03:29:10 PM by QuestionAuthority

Bitcoin will not stabilize until more or less adoption can't move the price. The adoption rate of Bitcoin is happening very slowly compared to other technology. It may stabilize for a short time if adoption and rejection stands still. Bitcoin has a very slow adoption rate so the price is stable for now.

Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 05:52:22 AM

Right now, forward looking inflation is at around 11-12% which makes it exponentially more inflationary than the USD
It will get more interesting after the next halving in mid 2016, but expect a rocky ride

It will be 6% soon but your point still stands. Bitcoin offers no advantage in ordinary payments, and the only reason to hold is if you are a speculator and believe the price will go up. Currently, that confidence is much low.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

altcoin hitler

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:17:17 AM

According to my current understanding, Bitcoin will always tend to increase its value because of being deflationary. But when BTC finally stabilizes and functions like other rare resources, such as gold, will its price be higher or lower than the current (around $250)?

Obviously you have been 100% brainwashed and sold on the hype. How surprised will you be when it drops to 100$ and never reaches 1000$ again? Will you be surprised? Why?

King of the real Bitcoin Foundation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0
Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 05:03:09 AM

There's really no reason for it to stabilise at this price or to be honest any other at the moment, since the majority of buys and sells are for speculative purposes and thus highly prone to snowballing, destabilising effects.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 06:15:02 AM

Bitcoin will not stabilize until more or less adoption can't move the price. The adoption rate of Bitcoin is happening very slowly compared to other technology. It may stabilize for a short time if adoption and rejection stands still. Bitcoin has a very slow adoption rate so the price is stable for now.

all of them started slow and exploded once they reached about 5%.

bitcoin will explode some time too, but it will take a while before that happens, probably some more years.

That's not to say the price will remain at $250 for years, I'm just saying it won't be stable for the next few years at least.

Try 2025 or so, if you're lucky.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 or 7 digits by then.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 08:20:43 AM

all of them started slow and exploded once they reached about 5%.

bitcoin will explode some time too, but it will take a while before that happens, probably some more years.

That's not to say the price will remain at $250 for years, I'm just saying it won't be stable for the next few years at least.

Try 2025 or so, if you're lucky.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 or 7 digits by then.

Well, that could happen. Or this could happen...

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: