Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:47:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my bitcoin wallet on MY local computer?  (Read 1692 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 07:22:04 PM

I want to start to accumulate bitcoin so it is easier for me to transfer/exchange when I need them. I installed bitcoin wallet from bitcoin.org. When and if I tranfer BTC into this wallet are the bitcoin stored locally within this program or this program just captures the transactions and just displays them? I'm just looking for the easiest / quickest way to accumulate and transfer bitcoin. I really do not want to associate anything with a credit card or bank account. I want to be safe, not sorry. Thanks, I really appreciate the info.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:26:50 PM

Yes, the BTC are stored locally on your computer within your wallet.dat file.  But the transaction itself is made public through the blockchain records.
RandomQ

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:42:36 PM

If you Hard Drive dies and you don't backup your wallet your coins are gone.

If a hacker get access to you computer, Your wallet could be stolen

Encrypt and Backup  Grin
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:43:02 PM

I want to start to accumulate bitcoin so it is easier for me to transfer/exchange when I need them. I installed bitcoin wallet from bitcoin.org. When and if I tranfer BTC into this wallet are the bitcoin stored locally within this program or this program just captures the transactions and just displays them? I'm just looking for the easiest / quickest way to accumulate and transfer bitcoin. I really do not want to associate anything with a credit card or bank account. I want to be safe, not sorry. Thanks, I really appreciate the info.

Think of it that your password to access your bitcoins (and only you) are stored on your computer.

Keep it safe!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:48:29 PM

If you're a beginner, I recommend entirely avoiding the bitcoin.org downloadable client. Instead, use Blockchain.info/wallet (but you still need to back this up!)

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:53:47 PM

Not to confuse you, but technically the bitcoins are not stored on your computer, rather the encryption keys that allow you to spend the coins on the bitcoin network. But for practical purposes you can think of your wallet file containing your coins.
There are myriad ways to keep your bitcoins secure. You should have a plan to backup and hide your wallet.dat file. as mentioned above, if you lose that file you have lost your coins forever. It can be as simple as making a copy of that file and saving it on a few USB sticks. I keep three copies of my larger wallet. One in a safe deposit box, one in a safe at home, and one encrypted and hidden on the internet.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:20:30 PM

If you're a beginner, I recommend entirely avoiding the bitcoin.org downloadable client. Instead, use Blockchain.info/wallet (but you still need to back this up!)

Yeah, this is probably the best way for a beginner to start nowadays.

If you have a smartphone, you can also download Blockchain.info's mobile app.

I'd also recommend a backup app on the off chance Blockchain.info is down for a bit: BitcoinSpinner. It's simpler (only one address) but still quite good. (Some of the other smartphone apps aren't exactly solid, so use caution.)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 09:10:13 PM

...and please let us know what you think of Bitcoin after you go through this initial phase.  Too complicated or easier compared to handling and storing cash?  Credit cards?  Bank accounts? 

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 09:14:19 PM

Speaking of...

I set up the Android Bitcoin app on my touch pad and was looking for the file last night. I searched the directory for wallet and found nothing.

Also, if I just write down the PrivKey I should be able to load that up at some point in the future to send BTC right?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 09:24:14 PM

Speaking of...

I set up the Android Bitcoin app on my touch pad and was looking for the file last night. I searched the directory for wallet and found nothing.

Also, if I just write down the PrivKey I should be able to load that up at some point in the future to send BTC right?

Which app was it?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 10:35:02 PM

Very cool!

I do run a backup server at my home (unraid) with over 22 terabyes of space, and I also use an offline backup service (crashplan) which backs up all my client workstations daily. Of course I can always backup the wallet.dat file manually and also write some kind of script to make sure it gets backed up. There are sooooo many options as to where/how to store your btc. I do like using the local wallet since I'm in control of it and there aren't any fees associated with using it. And it is not "tied" to anything but me, myself and I. I'm going to check out that blockchain wallet also...never place all my eggs in one basket I guess. Hopefully I won't get too addicted to all this.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:14:18 AM

Hopefully I won't get too addicted to all this.

Quote from: Hotel California
"Relax," said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

You've fallen down the rabbit hole, there's no going back! Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 01:41:43 AM

Speaking of...

Which app was it?

Bitcoin Wallet for Android

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: