Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:31:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flash Crash on Mt.Gox today?  (Read 2985 times)
elux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 05:22:58 PM

There was a brief crash today from 8.58 down to 8.22 then immediately back to 8.52 within single digit seconds.

Result: Clark moody promptly died, btccharts stopped ticking, Mt. Gox went unresponsive for the duration, and bitcointalk went down for a minute or less.

Someone bought several thousand bitcoins at (up to) 0.36 USD below market on Mt.Gox. Can someone explain this anomaly?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:02:37 PM

There was a brief crash today from 8.58 down to 8.22 then immediately back to 8.52 within single digit seconds.

Result: Clark moody promptly died, btccharts stopped ticking, Mt. Gox went unresponsive for the duration, and bitcointalk went down for a minute or less.

Someone bought several thousand bitcoins at (up to) 0.36 USD below market on Mt.Gox. Can someone explain this anomaly?

I'm not the first time I've noticed that all services are falling at one moment. This is all under one organization? What the hell? Puppeteer has the ability to pull the strings all at once?

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:20:33 PM

I'm not the first time I've noticed that all services are falling at one moment. This is all under one organization? What the hell? Puppeteer has the ability to pull the strings all at once?

Lol, they all get their info from Gox because that's where the info is made, no conspiracy, relax.

The out of range price is because Gox doesn't have good matching software, it's been happening for 2 years.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:43:09 PM

Lol, they all get their info from Gox because that's where the info is made, no conspiracy, relax.

The out of range price is because Gox doesn't have good matching software, it's been happening for 2 years.

That's reassuring...

(BFL)^2 < 0
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:11:03 PM

Can someone explain this anomaly?
U could get the answer by urself. Just think of why such things as...

- BTC price on Mt. Gox is changed very fast in one direction
- Mt. Gox becomes very laggy
- bitcointalk.org becomes unaccessible
- BTC transactions to/from Mt. Gox accounts are processed much slower (who owns deepbit btw?)
- monitors like btccharts.com stop showing recent information

...happen all at once.

PS: Don't post here BS that Mt. Gox can't afford to buy better hardware. It's just profitable for them to pretend they're unable to process a lot of data during critical market events.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:26:44 PM

It's just profitable for them to pretend they're unable to process a lot of data during critical market events.
Really. Do tell.

Seriously, start thinking - stuff goes down because MtGox is the SOURCE of the information. It would affect any service that relies on the information supplied from the MtGox API, including Clark's site, btccharts, MtGoxLive itself, various bots, and more.

Bitcoin transactions to MtGox accounts can never be affected by them in terms of speed. Transactions FROM them however may be slower because they send them without fees, so slowness is expected for the first confirmation. However they would be slow any time, not just at certain times. Deepbit has a limit on the number of "free" transactions that they will process, and for a good reason too.

And as for bitcointalk going down, I don't know what caused the most recent downtime but to say it happens on every spike up or down is major BS. Even though it is hosted by Tibanne, that doesn't mean that they would just bring it down for some reason. Although it's just speculation, my personal guess is that the spike caused a virtual machine that runs the matching engine to balloon in memory size, shutting down other VMs in the process due to out-of-memory conditions. That is just a guess, though.

And as for the hardware itself, I don't know what they run currently, but there have been posts in the past that indicate a pair of high powered servers with around 96GB of RAM set up for failover. Not really small potatoes.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:41:25 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2012, 08:36:17 PM by 2112

Mt. Gox is setup behind the anti-DDOS proxy from Prolexic.

Any spike in viewing/trading activity is treated as a DDOS by Prolexic and "successfully blocked".

This will keep happening until Mt. Gox implements professional trading protocols, not various ad-hoc stacks over HTTP/HTTPS.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 01:58:06 AM

Any spike in viewing/trading activity is treated as a DDOS by Prolexic and "successfully blocked".

This will keep happening until Mt. Gox implements professional trading protocols, not various ad-hoc stacks over HTTP/HTTPS.

SO does that mean that everyone hitting Bitcointalk to post "what the hell is going on with Gox" messages is then interpreted as a DDOS and that's why the forum also goes offline?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 02:30:42 AM

SO does that mean that everyone hitting Bitcointalk to post "what the hell is going on with Gox" messages is then interpreted as a DDOS and that's why the forum also goes offline?
No. Prolexic defense costs big bucks; bitcointalk.org is running bare in Networklayer's Dallas,TX facility.

Use robtex.com (or something similar) to check the IP address.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 04:05:19 AM

Gox is up, but the trading is not working.
I put in several orders, and it keep showing pending.
zhalox

Activity: 176
Merit: 106

XMR = BTC in 2010. Rise chikun.

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 05:33:47 AM

I think this thread should be renamed to "Flash Spike", since someone was someone was buying 50,000+ bitcoins, spiking the price to $9.30+ when Mt. Gox feed crashed...

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 10:34:01 PM

I don't think the trading issues are related to DDoS protection. The DDoS issues experienced early last year didn't affect the trading engine, people couldn't even view the frontpage.

While there has consistently been issues with the trading engine (and especially websockets): rogue trades, orders stuck as "pending" for minutes, and most recently the two lock-ups (with websocks sending looping data in the second).

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 12:00:55 AM

I don't think the trading issues are related to DDoS protection. The DDoS issues experienced early last year didn't affect the trading engine, people couldn't even view the frontpage.

While there has consistently been issues with the trading engine (and especially websockets): rogue trades, orders stuck as "pending" for minutes, and most recently the two lock-ups (with websocks sending looping data in the second).
This is more complex than just "view the frontpage".

The DDoS defense is dynamic both with respect to the source and with respect to the destination.

So you are having the situation where only certain API URLs get protection but not the viewed-by-hand URLs (destination filtering).

Your experience will also depend on the current global DDoS botnet density estimate computed by IP address (source filtering).

To compund the above Prolexic doesn't disclose the details as a matter of policy. This is because they always have botmasters buying their service for their own machines to reverse engineer the Prolexic's defense strategy.

Was anyone getting HTTP error codes eg. 429 or 504? Or just Prolexic's standard timeouts due to dropped TCP/IP packets?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: