Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:18:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ross Ulbricht Guilty of Everything  (Read 6619 times)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 04:32:51 AM

I don't condone Mr. Ullbricht's involvement in the drugs trade. But at the same time, he has become one of the earliest martyr's in Bankers' warfare against Bitcoin. The Bankers will make sure that he will never come out of jail.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 05:00:02 AM

I bet the jury still do not know what the F a Bitcoin is lolol
I'm sure you are 100% right, most if not all of the jury wouldn't have a clue what bitcoin is but this trail really didn't have much to do with understanding bitcoin.
It was a show trial about a new type of drug dealing, a kind that is safer for buyers and sellers alike who do have to risk getting shot, stabbed or just plain ripped off while buying what they wanted.

If this trial was about bitcoin then they would have let the BTC 'experts' talk.

sasukeuchiha

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:04:20 AM

Whats the punishment is he getting ?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:27:55 AM

Whats the punishment is he getting ?

Probably life without parole. Taking in to account the fact that SR dealt in hundreds of millions of USD worth of drugs, that seems quite possible. And add in the (FBI-invented) attempted murders, he is in deep s*it. 
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456

Ad maiora!

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 05:55:31 AM

I just hope this will signal the end to the "BTC=Criminal Activity" chapter of the FUD cycle. They got their Judas Goat, now can they please report on something OTHER than bad actors using BTC?

Fortunately the whole ISIS uses BTC thing is just too ridiculous to gain much traction, but honestly, can't they just look beyond these shock-stories?

Hopefully the fools out there can consider the world of BTC to be "cleaned up" now that the evil internet drug peddler is locked up, and maybe move on to a more positive view of this new tech.

Can't really tell you if Ross is guilty or not, doesn't seem entirely honest. We shall see what he's in for when sentanced. Also, he's going to appeal, and appeal, and appeal.

This aint over yet.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 07:26:37 AM

Did the defense came up to say, that DPR is still out there and earning commissions? I mean, shortly after SR was closed, "The Real DPR" opened the SR2 site, which he also abandoned after leaving it with a fall guy.

Now SR Reloaded is up and running ...

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 07:27:47 AM

but his BTC are worth much more in 50 years  Smiley ! maybe he can buy the whole jail and flee then  Tongue

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 09:17:36 AM

Sorry for being a bit out of date but is the "Murder-For-Hire" stuff going to go on in a later trial or is this it?
Murder for hire is a different case altogether, that case will be held in the state of Baltimore.

yet the cnbc media mix that in to the news report when they say he was guilty making it look like hes a murderer also.
Skeksis

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:25:40 PM

I read about it only today. How do you think, is he guilty?

Yes, he is. Maybe not of every single charge but it's pretty obvious he's the guy who was responsible for setting it up and running it.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 01:38:10 PM

Yes, he is. Maybe not of every single charge but it's pretty obvious he's the guy who was responsible for setting it up and running it.
And what makes it so obvious to you that he ran the site the whole time and didn't just set it up, leave and get roped back in as a fall guy like Ross and his laywer claimed?
Where you on the jury or did you sit in the courtroom during the whole case?

Often when the US government wants to nail someone they will have so much FUD spread on forums and on the net just to help themselfs get the conviction.
I admit his defence sounded a bit strange, but truth can be stranger than fiction a lot of the time.
I would have prefered the outcome to go Ross's way and see MK in prision dropping the soap, lol.

Fat Ronaldo

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:50:42 PM

Guilty of everything. He wasn't found guilty of the murder charges was he? Were they dropped or is that a separate trial? I think he'll go down for life merely for running Silk Road so it probably doesn't matter either way.
12345mm

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 01:51:59 PM

regardless of whether or not anyone chooses to step forward out of the blue in such an event as this trial and put themselves in the spotlight despite their illegal actions merely for the sake of claiming harm to themselves ... there were undoubtedly many many people who's lives were destroyed through easier access to hardcore narcotics ... that IS harm ... law or not law ... technicality or not technicality ... *ethically* the guy should burn ... (assuming actual evidence exists linking his involvement which , of course, there was) ...

Coinbase Is THE Place to Buy Your Bitcoins! https://coinbase.com/?r=528a0de17f383142df00040c&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link Sign Up For Cryptsy! Trade Alts! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=15696
BTC:   1Mrr2cPbZc4nmV236AS31vdCP24J9TbJpo   LTC:   LV5UoExrVxU3ddrCKCMZ2Wx5odbkUf7JhT
I Like Free Magic Internet Money! Smiley My Cryptsy Trade Key: ad89bb4885a1f92eb7efd5db30412676673ded0e
calme

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:02:14 PM

there were undoubtedly many many people who's lives were destroyed through easier access to hardcore narcotics ... that IS harm ... law or not law ... technicality or not technicality ... *ethically* the guy should burn ... (assuming actual evidence exists linking his involvement which , of course, there was) ...
You are entitled to your opinion, but BTC users tend to be libertarian and thus think governmental babysitting such as banning drug use/drug dealing is immoral. I don't tell other ppl what to do w/ their bodies so would hope for the same in return. Banning drug use sounds like something out of a previous century.
Krang

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:09:08 PM

And what makes it so obvious to you that he ran the site the whole time and didn't just set it up, leave and get roped back in as a fall guy like Ross and his laywer claimed?
Where you on the jury or did you sit in the courtroom during the whole case?

Well the jury and judge was and they found him guilty. Nobody buys his bullshit excuse. That was just his last ditch attempt at trying to save his ass.

there were undoubtedly many many people who's lives were destroyed through easier access to hardcore narcotics ... that IS harm ... law or not law ... technicality or not technicality ... *ethically* the guy should burn ... (assuming actual evidence exists linking his involvement which , of course, there was) ...
You are entitled to your opinion, but BTC users tend to be libertarian and thus think governmental babysitting such as banning drug use/drug dealing is immoral. I don't tell other ppl what to do w/ their bodies so would hope for the same in return.

But Libertarians generally don't believe it's ok to murder people, if those allegations are true.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:11:14 PM

Considering how the trial went, this outcome was completely to be expected.

edit: The best the defense came up with was along the lines of "you can't trust digital evidence, because hackers", going as far as implying that DPR having a BitTorrent client running was opening his machine up to be hacked and evidence to be planted.
Yup, agree 100%, this was to be expected from beggining, too strong evidences.
DPR wasted his life, he will now see nothing else than prison
12345mm

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:12:14 PM

You are entitled to your opinion, but BTC users tend to be libertarian and thus think governmental babysitting such as banning drug use/drug dealing is immoral. I don't tell other ppl what to do w/ their bodies so would hope for the same in return.

TBH i agree with your sentiment ... to a point ... i would argue that there exist extremely harmful extremely addictive drugs that can outright cause death and that those things should be fought against by all means necessary ... if for no other reason than public safety and preservation of life ... with the assumption of life being good and all ... and there are some drugs that let you see fun new colors and give you the munchies and have zero chance of OD and those particular ones should be tolerated by society ... but hey that's just my opinion ...

Coinbase Is THE Place to Buy Your Bitcoins! https://coinbase.com/?r=528a0de17f383142df00040c&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link Sign Up For Cryptsy! Trade Alts! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=15696
BTC:   1Mrr2cPbZc4nmV236AS31vdCP24J9TbJpo   LTC:   LV5UoExrVxU3ddrCKCMZ2Wx5odbkUf7JhT
I Like Free Magic Internet Money! Smiley My Cryptsy Trade Key: ad89bb4885a1f92eb7efd5db30412676673ded0e
calme

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:12:24 PM

But Libertarians generally don't believe it's ok to murder people, if those allegations are true.
You speak the truth. They probably believe in it even less than most, since most people are more okay with interfering with others in general.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 02:14:20 PM

Ross Ulbricht stole my bagels the other day at the grocery store, I clearly had my eye on those bagels! I was about to reach for them!

Damn you Ross!

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
12345mm

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:15:38 PM

also yes ... murder is bad ... mmmk

calme

View Profile
February 05, 2015, 02:16:16 PM

TBH i agree with your sentiment ... to a point ... i would argue that there exist extremely harmful extremely addictive drugs that can outright cause death and that those things should be fought against by all means necessary ... if for no other reason than public safety and preservation of life ... with the assumption of life being good and all ... and there are some drugs that let you see fun new colors and give you the munchies and have zero chance of OD and those particular ones should be tolerated by society ... but hey that's just my opinion ...
And you're entitled to that opinion. But some might view it as discriminating against certain drugs and their respective users. Not everyone enjoys weed or hallucinogens, for example. Some people mostly enjoy opiates/coke/whatever and are honest enough with themselves not to continue doing drugs they don't even enjoy.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: