Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:25:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercury - Fully trustless cryptocurrency exchange - Looking for testers!  (Read 35107 times)
DenisZabar

Activity: 614
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 02:59:24 AM

Please tell me that Hg is not downloading all bitcoin core blockchain?

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 03:14:27 AM

very interesting project watching and hopefully will help out with some testing

Fuzzybear

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 11:11:16 AM

I'd like to keep an eye on this!

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
mappum (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 11:35:06 AM

Please tell me that Hg is not downloading all bitcoin core blockchain?

Don't worry, Mercury runs lite clients for each coin and only ~3 MB of storage is required.
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1042
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 02:54:46 PM

I'll give it a shot. By the looks of the images, it looks beautiful.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 08:03:28 PM

I am glad that someone finally took the time to implement this. This topic should receive much more attention, because its the first really decentralized exchange ever.

just goes to show how many peeps are actually into decentralization vs. get rich quick Smiley

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 08:09:18 PM

I am glad that someone finally took the time to implement this. This topic should receive much more attention, because its the first really decentralized exchange ever.

Absolutely! I'll test this and report back.

Has the source code been audited yet? Who has built it on their own?

mappum (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 08:24:17 PM

Absolutely! I'll test this and report back.

Has the source code been audited yet? Who has built it on their own?

It hasn't been audited yet, but I'm in the process of getting that done professionally.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 05:48:30 AM

Very interesting. Watching.
Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 01:57:00 PM

I'll check it out later today. This is amazing. You should get a simple website done to professionalise it. I can do it for free since you've done a great job.

bassguitarman

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:41:31 PM

I'll check it out later today. This is amazing. You should get a simple website done to professionalise it. I can do it for free since you've done a great job.

http://mercuryex.com
EcuaMobi
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 03:53:09 PM

http://mercuryex.com

It looks great! Did you just make that now?

albert11

Activity: 679

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 05:08:50 PM

is this just an exchange between crypto or can i buy crypto with fiat?

is it safe to store altcoins in mercury as a desktop wallet?

████████████████████
           ██████████████████████
          ████                ████
         ████   █████   ████   ████
        ████   ███████ ██████   ████
       ████   ████ ████   ████   ████
      ████   ████   ████   ████   ████
     ████   ████  ██ ████   ████ 
    ████   ████   ██  ████
    ████   ████   ███  ████
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███    ███
     ████   ████   ████ ████ ████
      ████   ████   ████ ██ ████  ████
       ████   ████   ████ ████   ████
        ████   ██████ ██████    ████
         ████   ████   ████    ████
          ████                ████
           ██████████████████████
            ████████████████████
I N D X
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 05:20:17 PM

is this just an exchange between crypto or can i buy crypto with fiat?

is it safe to store altcoins in mercury as a desktop wallet?

Yes for the moment you "can exchange" btc for doge , ltc and btcTestnet ; no at the moment it is not safe to store your coins on it because it is an alpha version :

kaykurokawa

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 05:52:04 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2015, 06:02:29 PM by kaykurokawa

Hi, interesting project.

As Dzimbeck mentioned, I think transaction malleability is a serious problem.. one actor (perhaps a grumpy exchange pissed off that you are taking market shares) could cause some serious damage to any atomic cross chain transfer occurring on the blockchain with minimal costs. The new Bitcoin core makes it a bit difficult, but for someone motivated enough it is of no issue once they figure out what IPs the miners are listening on or they establish a working relationship with a miner. IMO, any project that relies on future tx contracts are a no go at this point and I think most of the core developers would tell you the same thing.  

It also seems that order placement and matching happens on a centralized matching engine. It is somewhat misleading to label this project as a "decentralized exchange" when one of the primary component of an exchange is the order book and matching engine, although I do understand the need from a marketing viewpoint Smiley  I think users should be aware that DDOS to the server means no trading, and another worrying issues is that someone can easily pollute the order book with orders they don't intend to fill because obviously transactions don't happen until orders are matched (if there is no disincentive for a party to pull out from the trade, they will do so with impunity which means your order book is completely unreliable)
bassguitarman

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 06:04:19 PM

Hi, interesting project.

As Dzimbeck mentioned, I think transaction malleability is a serious problem.. one actor (perhaps a grumpy exchange pissed off that you are taking market shares) could cause some serious damage to any atomic cross chain transfer occurring on the blockchain with minimal costs. The new Bitcoin core makes it a bit difficult, but for someone motivated enough it is of no issue once they figure out what IPs the miners are listening on or they establish a working relationship with a miner. IMO, any project that relies on future tx contracts are a no go at this point and I think most of the core developers would tell you the same thing.  

It also seems that order placement and matching happens on a centralized matching engine. It is somewhat misleading to label this project as a "decentralized exchange" when one of the primary component of an exchange is the order book and matching engine, although I do understand the need from a marketing viewpoint Smiley  I think users should be aware that DDOS to the server means no trading, and another worrying issues is that someone can easily pollute the order book with orders they don't intend to fill because obviously transactions don't happen until orders are matched (if there is no disincentive for a party to pull out from the trade, they will do so with impunity which means your order book is completely unreliable)

You don't need the order book to exchange
fishb0ne

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 06:46:22 PM

I would love to test this. Can you include support for PPC?
mappum (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:24:13 PM

Yes for the moment you "can exchange" btc for doge , ltc and btcTestnet ; no at the moment it is not safe to store your coins on it because it is an alpha version

Actually storing coins in Mercury is already pretty safe, it's the trading part that isn't perfect yet. (However, the keys are not yet encrypted).
mappum (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:17:24 PM

Hi, interesting project.

The transaction malleability vulnerability is an issue, but the cost of pulling off the attack is high enough that this early version of Mercury is OK as a proof-of-concept. The attack wouldn't be profitable unless people were making some really high-volume trades. And when OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY gets adopted, the vulnerability will be completely fixed.

As for the centralized order matching, this part of the protocol does not require any trust, so it is still considered trustless. If the server gets DDoSed, traders can use other orderbook servers, or even find counterparties themselves through e.g. IRC and forums.

You are incorrect about there being no disincentive against backing out of a trade, this can be fixed with licensing. This is not implemented yet, but it would work to require traders to pay a one-time fee or security deposit when they begin using Mercury, and if they back out of trades (maybe if they get 3 strikes), their license will be revoked and they will lose their funds. If the fee is sufficiently large for the volume of trades they will be making, it will be unprofitable to cancel trades.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 09:38:54 PM

Is it possible to open 2 or more instances of Mercury on the same computer?

I'd like to test trading with myself.

If it's not possible I know I can use a virtual machine or another computer but I want to confirm first.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: