Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:27:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Which BTC wallet are you using  (Read 51368 times)
Harry Hood

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:08:40 AM

can i use coinbase to make a paper wallet?

No, you can't use coinbase to make a paper wallet.

I use blockchain.info...my big coin was with bter but we all know what happened there (psych).

irfan_pak10
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1654

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 07:36:55 AM

Im using coinbase but the most secure wallet is the GreenAddress as its said by many members here.

I'm using paper wallet now for cold storage and blockchain for everyday use.

Which site paper wallet you are using

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 07:39:51 AM

can i use coinbase to make a paper wallet?

No, you can't use coinbase to make a paper wallet.

Actually, you can! See https://coinbase.com/paper_wallets after you login. ANN : http://blog.coinbase.com/post/51573799308/use-coinbase-to-export-your-bitcoins-to-a-paper

I use blockchain.info...my big coin was with bter but we all know what happened there (psych).

That's why it is recommended not to store anything in exchanges or in online wallets(less secure).

-MZ

Rude Boy

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:40:40 AM

coinbase, xapo, blockchainx Tongue
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 07:43:54 AM

There is no relation between paper wallets and other wallets, paper wallet is a wallet but it is usually misunderstood as there are many ways to create it and most of them prefer to do it online but it is depreciated as it destroys the real use of paper wallets and is less secure.

I recommend you to use bitaddress.org offline version or use other offline paper wallets generator to secure your Bitcoin.

-MZ

nachoig

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 05:35:47 PM

There is no relation between paper wallets and other wallets, paper wallet is a wallet but it is usually misunderstood as there are many ways to create it and most of them prefer to do it online but it is depreciated as it destroys the real use of paper wallets and is less secure.

I recommend you to use bitaddress.org offline version or use other offline paper wallets generator to secure your Bitcoin.

-MZ

You are confusing paper private keys with paper wallets.

Using a JavaScript client to generate these paper private keys (like BitAddress) is a bad idea (even offline), because of the lack of true randomness.

If someone wants to use paper wallets, I think the best chocies are Armory, mSIGNA (btw, I didn't see any mention to mSIGNA here, although it's endorsed at Bitcoin.org. Nobody at least tried it?)  and Electrum. If you don't want a wallet to this, just a generator, Bitcoin Address Utility can match this.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_Address_Utility
Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 06:00:07 PM

blockchain online wallet its a great wallet to use bitcoin
as normally
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 06:10:58 PM

Using a JavaScript client to generate these paper private keys (like BitAddress) is a bad idea (even offline), because of the lack of true randomness.

Have you used it? It has mouse entropy+character inputting which gives randomness unlike other wallets.

Hi Pointbiz,

First off thanks for a great tool!!

Had a small nagging query:

Can I safely use symbols like:  ~ `  ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + { } | [ ]\ / * - + 

and also other advanced special characters like  Æ Ç Ë Ì Ð § © µ ý  (full list here http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html)

I want to use all the above special characters along with the mouse movement entropy to get a super secure key pair.

I will be putting all my life savings into it, so don't wanna take any chances. Would really appreciate if you clarify this nagging doubt!! Thanks.

Are you asking about the Paper Wallet tab? If so, for the BIP38 encryption, yes, you can use those specific special characters. And advanced ones the page is unicode. Please make sure any wallet you encrypt with BIP38 that you check on the Wallet Details tab to make sure you can decrypt it and that the Bitcoin Addresses match on both tabs. Make sure to print back up copies. Put the paper inside ziplock bags. Have a copy in a locked safe place.

Are you asking about the Brain Wallet tab? If so, then stop. Don't use a brain wallet to secure your life savings.

In general, you should spread your savings over more than 1 Bitcoin Address. You may want to spend a small portion later and it's safer to not put everything on 1 private key that you may later expose to a device that contains malware.

You might also want to read the FAQ on the Wallet Details tab "How do I make a wallet using dice?". Using physical randomness will get you the super secure key you truly desire.

-MZ

Joca97
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1023

Signature spot available for rent!

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 06:34:55 PM

using blockchain.info and i think its the best bitcoin wallet currently alive

its online,its safe,it easy to use,its increadible

you should use it!!
irfan_pak10
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1654

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 06:46:23 PM

using blockchain.info and i think its the best bitcoin wallet currently alive

its online,its safe,it easy to use,its increadible

you should use it!!

But it has problem with it some time downtime problem etc

i using blockchain wallet and Bitcoin wallet for android

is blockchain is the most secure online wallet to use?

Nope! Blockchain.info had many issues and downtime is one of their main problem. A local wallet such as GreenAddress, Electrum, Multibit is the secure wallets.

FYI there are no wallets which is most secure. Every wallets have disadvantages in both security and durability.

-MZ

█████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 06:51:30 PM

Blockchain.info being my best hot wallet
But core and some paper wallet's do make in my collections Wink
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 06:53:26 PM

I use core wallet for both hot and cold storages. Really worth the effort of downloading the blockchain. Plus using a torrent is not a big deal to get it faster.

this space is intentionally left blank
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 06:57:16 PM

I use core wallet for both hot and cold storages. Really worth the effort of downloading the blockchain. Plus using a torrent is not a big deal to get it faster.

No need of torrent if you have Bitcoin core 0.10. Smiley

-MZ

nachoig

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:06:06 PM

Have you used it? It has mouse entropy+character inputting which gives randomness unlike other wallets.

And does this generate true randomness? Or is it just a placebo effect? I'm not an expert, but according to what I've read this is a not a good practice.

Care must be taken to securely generate keys since an attacker can steal stored bitcoins if it is exposed, transmitted, or generated with insufficient entropy.

Some websites feature a free open-source client-side paper keypair generators written in JavaScript. Using these is generally considered a bad idea and inherently insecure.

A web-based generator should not be used.
A generator should use an appropriate source of random numbers (entropy). This means that the generated keys aren't predictable. If the addresses come from a predictable or partially-predictable patterns like pseudorandom numbers [1], someone else who can predict the pattern can steal the balance. Ideally, randomness should NOT be human generated.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_ECDSA_private_keys

Also:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101733.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153990.0
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 07:32:39 PM

And does this generate true randomness? Or is it just a placebo effect? I'm not an expert, but according to what I've read this is a not a good practice.

Care must be taken to securely generate keys since an attacker can steal stored bitcoins if it is exposed, transmitted, or generated with insufficient entropy.

Some websites feature a free open-source client-side paper keypair generators written in JavaScript. Using these is generally considered a bad idea and inherently insecure.

A web-based generator should not be used.
A generator should use an appropriate source of random numbers (entropy). This means that the generated keys aren't predictable. If the addresses come from a predictable or partially-predictable patterns like pseudorandom numbers [1], someone else who can predict the pattern can steal the balance. Ideally, randomness should NOT be human generated.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_ECDSA_private_keys

Also:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101733.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153990.0

You don't want to generate as a 'client'side', you can create in offline computer and yes, it gives true randomness.

-MZ

grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:39:18 PM

Just a question  Wink

Which BTC wallet  you are using?
coinbase , blockchain, btc-e, bittrex or any one else?

tldr and maybe someone already said it but none of those are really "wallets".  They are online exchange services.  I would trust coinbase the most of any of them and have used them regularly in the past. 

I don't really have a preference for a wallet.  Paper wallets or other cold storage are the way to go for security as long as you can keep up with it.  Treat wallets like real wallet... don't keep a ton of cash in there and if you must then lock it down tight.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
BitcoinBoss666

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:42:17 PM

Electrum is the best for me Smiley
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:50:32 PM

No need of torrent if you have Bitcoin core 0.10. Smiley

-MZ
That is right, with this most recent update I hope more people will switch to the core wallet. Best solution, imo.

this space is intentionally left blank
nachoig

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:52:50 PM

You don't want to generate as a 'client'side', you can create in offline computer and yes, it gives true randomness.

-MZ

So, how and why? Just because you can generate in an offline computer it doesn't mean it's secure.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 08:22:45 PM

So, how and why? Just because you can generate in an offline computer it doesn't mean it's secure.

Then what is 'secure'? Shocked AFIAK cold storage is the best option and is very secure. Cold storage is done in an offline computer, does that mean it isn't secure? Huh

You didn't understood correctly what secure is. If your peovate key is never exposed to internet, how can anyone steal the private key? Reused R values are a problem but it is different matter. Please understand what it is, what you are hoing to tell and then post the correct one. Smiley

-MZ

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: