Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:41:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The hardfork will make Gavincoin plummet to zero  (Read 11294 times)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:36:08 PM

Gavincoin? Hardfork?
What are you guys talking about...

Well, the Bitcoin blockchain you know and love so much is going into the ashbin of history and is going to be replaced by a new blockchain called Bitcoin. OP is being a whiny baby about it because he's too lazy to update.

Well, that's not true. The old bitcoin chain everyone loves right  now will continue to be mined and function normal and the original Bitcoin will live on. Gavincoin is a stupid fork of it and the supporters of that fork are going to try to tell the noobs it would be 'Bitcoin' but it won't be - everyone who isn't totally blind can see that.

Gavincoin supporters will even deny the existance of the original Bitcoin as is already seen here on the thread.

This is deliberate misinformation.

Bitcoin will just upgrade to a 20MB block cap size instead of the current temporary 1MB one we are using now, as per the original plan.
The so called "MPcoin" cannot be bitcoin because it will have a permanent block cap size and bitcoin has never had a permanent block cap size. It will be just an altcoin, same as all the rest.

Muuurrrrica!

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:37:08 PM

As a matter of fact after the fork there will be two chains, two coins who both will go by the name 'Bitcoin'. The original chain (1MB) will carry that name rightfully, the Gavincoin chain (20MB) won't but the supporters of that chain will still try to use the name.

A sideeffect of this is: there will be twice as many Bitcoin suddenly. I'd expect those two chains to both become  relatively cheap coins as marketcap would be distributed between them.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 04:37:29 PM

When will it be?

I second this question, when is this happening?

Muuurrrrica!

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:39:57 PM

When will it be?

There isn't a date right now. We all still hope some rationality will take hold and it is dropped for good.

If there was a date given for the fork you could expect this place to be on fire aswell as the markets. It'll be mayhem.

In all this discussion we  haven't heard a word from the chinese community so far. It'll be interesting what they think as they control a large part of the ecosystem. I don't think they will just accept it.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:55:11 PM

As a matter of fact after the fork there will be two chains, two coins who both will go by the name 'Bitcoin'. The original chain (1MB) will carry that name rightfully, the Gavincoin chain (20MB) won't but the supporters of that chain will still try to use the name.

To be fair whatever chain has the majority will take the crown of "bitcoin". I just hope the minority chain has the losing sportsmanship to rename themselves to something other than bitcoin and not sulk.

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:56:27 PM

When will it be?

When it happens, Gavin will tell you.  All further relevant information shall be dispersed through official developer-approved channels.
Return to your homes and keep to your daily routine.
Foreign agents and provocateurs will be shot on sight.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:22:09 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2015, 05:36:10 PM by Buffer Overflow

When will it be?

There is no set time at the moment but don't worry, you'll hear about it when the fork occurs.
The bitcoin update will be announced and those that update will and those that don't want to won't. Everything will still work normally until a block exceeds 1MB (which will be unpredictable.)
If say you had 100 coins before the fork, afterwards you will have 100 coins of 1MB fork and 100 coins of the 20MB. They are NOT interchangeable.
The big question would be then is what chain would you ACCEPT coins from? Obviously anyone with more than 1 braincell would only accept coins as the true bitcoin from the chain the majority have chosen.
If it goes 50/50 however, things could get ugly.

Pecunia non olet

Activity: 882
Merit: 102

PayAccept - Worldwide payments accepted in seconds

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:47:05 PM

i won't be using Gavincoin - and you can not force me to it

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:48:26 PM

Fuck sakes, if Satoshi was so smart why the hell didn't he add 20 MB by default? he would have saved us from this mess. Geeeeez.

Satoshi had no limit on block sizes at all.   From block 1 it was legal to have a 2MB, 20MB, even 33MB block.   There was a 33.5MB limit on message length and since blocks are transmitted as a single message it would have limited blocks to only 33.5MB but even this wasn't a hard limit as new message type could have been added which transmitted blocks in other ways (i.e. header & txn hashes vs full transactions).

The 1MB "limit" was added as a temporary anti-spam measure 18 months later.   There was no voting, no significant discussion, and the commit wasn't made by Satoshi.  It actually was combined with a bunch of other unrelated changes and not even well documented at the time.  There is nothing which indicates this was a core design decision that Bitcoin would perpetually be limited to 1MB.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:13:44 PM

*stamps feet*

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Pecunia non olet

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:16:57 PM

*stamps feet*

not stamping feet. Grinning from ear to ear

I'm a free person and i choose what i like  Wink
You won't dictate to me.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:17:08 PM

Nobody has suggested you are forced to use it.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:17:17 PM

Yes of course you are free to do whatever you want , if the devs will make this hard fork  only those who want will follow it (#decentralization).
Pecunia non olet

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:18:38 PM

Yes of course you are free to do whatever you want , if the devs will make this hard fork  only those who want will follow it (#decentralization).

It's not decentralisation but fragmentation

I'm pretty sure though it will be dropped. If it won't that's going to be a hell of a show.
I'll be in Litecoin that day.  Cheesy

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:20:42 PM

it's not decentralisation but fragmentation

fragmentation  is a part of decentralization, it is not a drama ... only 20 mb per block.
Pecunia non olet

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:22:23 PM

it's not decentralisation but fragmentation

fragmentation  is a part of decentralization, it is not a drama ... only 20 mb per block.

whatever your twisted mind tells you, fine with me

onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:50:33 PM

I would like to have seen a more 'smart' solution though than just increasing the blocksize. Something that will automatically scale on demand, like the difficulty.

i favour to completly remove the limit (including the ~30mb message size one) and let miners decide - if the blockchain gets to big i expect them to make countermeasures because its in their interest to keep bitcoin going.

so i dont think we dont need any limit at all. any hardcoded limit may fail, any formula might fail (because we cant predict the future). but i trust people who need bitcoin to survive to make decisions to keep bitcoin alive (=miners)

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:51:52 PM

Why 20? why not 40 60 80 or 100?
Why not make it dynamic. Oh because it's gavins way or the highway

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:53:18 PM

I think 20 mb is a good second limit, we will see what happen, but I think it will be a good thing.
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 07:02:24 PM

I think 20 mb is a good second limit, we will see what happen, but I think it will be a good thing.
I think another coin is a good alternative too but well see what happens Tongue
I think it will be a good thing.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: