Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:54:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you guys think this will affect the price?  (Read 2451 times)
Technomage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 07:33:39 PM

I certainly classify this news as big news, but do you think it'll have an effect?

http://wikispeed.com/wikispeed-team-blog/wikispeed-first-car-maker-in-the-world-to-accept-bitcoin-press-release

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:38:29 PM

I believe this is huge. Buying cars with bitcoin!

I used to work for a car dealership and the process is so mundane with banks and credit apps etc etc etc

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:39:55 PM

Great news. Snowball started to roll.  Smiley
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:40:00 PM

it'll certainly increase awareness of wikispeed and bitcoin. imo, no instant price jump because of this news
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:42:04 PM

it's certainly increase awareness of wikispeed and bitcoin. imo, no instant price jump because of this news

Large price swings aren't good for bitcoin as a currency. Slow and steady rise over time is healthy. This news will get absorbed by the community over time.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 07:50:11 PM

I certainly classify this news as big news, but do you think it'll have an effect?

http://wikispeed.com/wikispeed-team-blog/wikispeed-first-car-maker-in-the-world-to-accept-bitcoin-press-release

if the car becomes at all popular, its sure to effect bitcoin price

they are not as expensive as you'd think

but i need a van not a little sports car ....

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:15:57 PM

if the car becomes at all popular, its sure to effect bitcoin price

they are not as expensive as you'd think

but i need a van not a little sports car ....

This can change quickly if a car maker decides to accept it.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:16:36 PM

I believe that this "car" is nothing more than a scam.  It simply doesn't exist, never will at the hands of these guys, and is nothing more than hot air to attract investments and pre-orders.

A guy named Paul Moller (moller.com) has been doing this very same thing for decades, promising a flying car that is, at any given time, always just around the corner.  His stats and his numbers and his technobabble and his mockups sound very convincing to the average investor, but to the eyes of a pilot or someone who has actually been in aerospace design, it's an obvious scam that will never fly.  To trained eyes, the people writing for him have NO CLUE about the state of the art of the aviation technology of today, let alone tomorrow.  It's like the specifications are written by marketers, not engineers.

He has been doing this for around FORTY YEARS!!!  Compare Today: http://www.moller.com - October 1974: http://www.downside.com/scams/moller/

This car is nothing different.

Anybody with the skills, talent, resources, and ideas to really develop the next-generation 100+ mpg car will have no problem getting so much investor funding they will literally be DROWNING in it.  They do not need to accept bitcoins or pre-orders.

They are likely accepting Bitcoins, because as the Bitcoinica debacle has shown, when you relieve people of their bitcoins in exchange for empty promises, right in front of their face and in broad daylight, you can get away with it, because the general populace barely understands what went wrong.  The same way the banksters of the world fleece us left and right and not a single one goes to jail.

Quote from: wikispeed.com
we are offering a 3% discount in all our prices when payed in Bitcoin.

Paid is P-A-I-D.  You'd think the rocket scientists would get this one right.

Yes, this is fucking huge.  A huge S-C-A-M.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:23:54 PM

this is FUCKING HUGE !!!!!!!

lol

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 09:24:14 PM

I believe that this "car" is nothing more than a scam.  It simply doesn't exist, never will at the hands of these guys, and is nothing more than hot air to attract investments and pre-orders.

A guy named Paul Moller (moller.com) has been doing this very same thing for decades, promising a flying car that is, at any given time, always just around the corner.  His stats and his numbers and his technobabble and his mockups sound very convincing to the average investor, but to the eyes of a pilot or someone who has actually been in aerospace design, it's an obvious scam that will never fly.  To trained eyes, the people writing for him have NO CLUE about the state of the art of the aviation technology of today, let alone tomorrow.  It's like the specifications are written by marketers, not engineers.

He has been doing this for around FORTY YEARS!!!  Compare Today: http://www.moller.com - October 1974: http://www.downside.com/scams/moller/

Anybody with the skills, talent, resources, and ideas to really develop the next-generation 100+ mpg car will have no problem getting so much investor funding they will literally be DROWNING in it.  They do not need to accept bitcoins or pre-orders.

They are likely accepting Bitcoins, because as the Bitcoinica debacle has shown, when you relieve people of their bitcoins in exchange for empty promises, right in front of their face and in broad daylight, you can get away with it, because the general populace barely understands what went wrong.  The same way the banksters of the world fleece us left and right and not a single one goes to jail.

Yeah you are probably right. But a car dealer accepting bitcoin isn't out of the picture. I worked for a dealership and it is basically the owner (whom I know very well) just saying "sure" to the idea of bitcoin.

that's the tough part...

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 09:28:57 PM

Hahahaha, yes! Good to see the kind of people Bitcoin attracts. Grin

Also good to see how willing the pumpers are to hype ANYTHING without substance, just because it has "Bitcoin" written on it.

edit: That is if what you say is true, and I trust it is. I haven't actually read this stuff.
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:52:40 PM

Wow.  I'm shocked that someone as progressive as yourself would immediately assume Wikispeed is a scam.  There is a big difference between a flying car and a fuel efficient car.  The car clearly already exists.  An earlier iteration finished 10th in the automotive x-prize, meaning that fuel efficiency measurements had to be taken. 

It uses commercial off the shelf (COTS) components with the exception of the chassis and shell.  It's half the weight of a Honda Civic hybrid and clearly has superior aerodynamics, so right there you know it's going to have massive fuel efficiency gains over an already fuel efficient car.

If you've watched any of the videos, you know the car is bare-bones - doesn't even have cup holders or a roof. 

You can buy one today.

Disclosure: I am a mechanical engineer.

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 09:56:58 PM

This (from your link) doesn't sound like today to me:
Edit: To your second question, the C3 which is not a limited edition prototype but a commuter car is under development. The roll out date of this model has not been set yet.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
GoWest

Activity: 563

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:59:05 PM

Edit: To your second question, the C3 which is not a limited edition prototype but a commuter car is under development. The roll out date of this model has not been set yet.

You can buy the SGT01, not the C3.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 10:09:02 PM

You can buy the SGT01, not the C3.

Oh, you mean the one that costs $7000 more and has no roof or doors?  I'm not saying it's a scam, but you're going to have to wait if you want something weatherproof.  Also, there are only 9 SGT01's available.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 10:32:33 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 10:43:15 PM by casascius

Oh, you mean the one that costs $7000 more and has no roof or doors?  I'm not saying it's a scam, but you're going to have to wait if you want something weatherproof.  Also, there are only 9 SGT01's available.

No really, what's their secret sauce?  They say it's Agile and Scrum.  But those aren't ways to make a car half the weight of a Honda Civic - omitting things is.  So what do they omit?  The roof and doors?  Why yes, then you have little more than an oversized motorcycle.

I don't see how activities like having a 15-minute Daily Scrum, a Sprint Planning Meeting, and playing Estimation Poker is the secret sauce that in and of itself is going to blow the "old school" manufacturers out of town.  Who is the Product Owner for the website?  Fair to say teh car will be built to far more precision than the website, right?

Quote from: Wikispeed.com/Affordable
Financing Options Customers are invited to pay $25,000.00 at once or in up to 25 monthly payments. Customers may pay ahead at any time, and their prototypes are built as the funds arrive. Customers are sent photos of their car in progress every 2 weeks and are invited to visit their car in progress during the build. When the car is complete and after teh final payment has been made, customers are emailed a photo of their complete car and invited to pick up the car and meet the build team, or arrange vehicle transport (vehicle transport is at the customer's expense). Customers may cancel at any time. If purchase is cancelled or payment is skipped for 3 or more months, WIKISPEED will make reasonable attempt to return half of the custoemrs payments made to date. The car will be completed for the next customer in line.

Sweeeeeeet!  Clearly they already anticipate people will cancel for one reason or another before paying for the full car, at which point the company will realize an instant 50% profit by claiming those were the agreed-upon terms... assuming it's not a 100% profit depending on how the word "reasonable" as in "reasonable attempt" comes to be defined.  Yes, Bitcoin is PERFECT for this...irreversible payments...mmmmmm I'm lovin' it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 10:36:09 PM

Oh, you mean the one that costs $7000 more and has no roof or doors?  I'm not saying it's a scam, but you're going to have to wait if you want something weatherproof.  Also, there are only 9 SGT01's available.

No really, what's their secret sauce?  They say it's Agile and Scrum.  But those aren't ways to make a car half the weight of a Honda Civic - omitting things is.  So what do they omit?  The roof and doors?  Why yes, then you have little more than an oversized motorcycle.

I don't see how activities like having a 15-minute Daily Scrum, a Sprint Planning Meeting, and playing Estimation Poker is the secret sauce that in and of itself is going to blow the "old school" manufacturers out of town.

Lack of experience allows them to skip over lessons learned?  I imagine there will be quite a few paddies that pop up once production begins.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 04:34:16 PM

Now if Toyota started accepting bitcoin....

...but actually, all we need is a dealership accepting bitcoin, then we could buy any car with bitcoin?
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 03:18:02 AM

This is the worst design and fabrication I have ever seen.  This is designed by kids in high school who have never even studied engineering before.

This is what I am used to seeing and working on when I help some teams race in the desert--proper chassis design.  I know it's a race car and not a street car, but still...

mem

Activity: 644

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 05:16:57 AM

Hey their claims about their car have all the substance of BFL's claims about their ASIC's Wink

Buy now, they are just around the corner !!!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: