Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:47:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling $100 target egift cards for $30 PayPal or BTC  (Read 1379 times)
MisteredF

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 05:18:24 PM

PayPal does not cover virtual goods in their "Buyer's Protection" policy. Something scammers and frauds take advantage of. If you can slide on the fact you paid for a Target digital gift card, you will possibly get your money back. If you point attention to the fact is a digital good, PayPal will close your case and award the seller with the money. PayPal is tricky, and should never be used to sell things because of it's security defects.

Actually they have for me a number of times (once for a SB scam from here and twice from SB gift cards purchased on eBay).  Of course YMMV but maybe it's because I have been selling & buying using PayPal for well over 20 years and rarely had problems.  I believe there is no SELLER protection for digital goods but BUYERS are still covered.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 05:39:50 PM

If you paid via CC from paypal your better off charging back through them (if indeed you were scammed)
MisteredF

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:04:44 PM

If you paid via CC from paypal your better off charging back through them (if indeed you were scammed)

That works too but the only problem with that is if the CC company approves the chargeback (they do less often than you may think on "non-tangible" items) it puts your PayPal account into a negative balance and it might be shut down or worse send you to collections.  If that isn't important than it's not a problem but PayPal has been known to try and collect negative balances from a CC reversal as well as ding your credit.
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1514

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:15:14 PM

PayPal does not cover virtual goods in their "Buyer's Protection" policy. Something scammers and frauds take advantage of. If you can slide on the fact you paid for a Target digital gift card, you will possibly get your money back. If you point attention to the fact is a digital good, PayPal will close your case and award the seller with the money. PayPal is tricky, and should never be used to sell things because of it's security defects.

Actually they have for me a number of times (once for a SB scam from here and twice from SB gift cards purchased on eBay).  Of course YMMV but maybe it's because I have been selling & buying using PayPal for well over 20 years and rarely had problems.  I believe there is no SELLER protection for digital goods but BUYERS are still covered.

PayPal will cover pretty much any site. Ebay included. In their policy, https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/buyer-protection they don't cover digital items between people's transactions. Perhaps Ebay shopping is better, or Bitcoin and an escrow. 
BTCreward

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:48:37 PM

why is anyone buying without escrow from a newbie. Ill buy if OP either sends first or uses escrow

I used PayPal.  A dispute has been filed.

Another thing that scammers take advantage of is claim that they were purchasing physical goods when in fact they were not (when they are filing disputes). On the other hand a person who was scammed via paypal will be forced to lie in order to recover their money. Long story short, using paypal is never safe to use

MisteredF

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:41:38 PM

PayPal will cover pretty much any site. Ebay included. In their policy, https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/buyer-protection they don't cover digital items between people's transactions. Perhaps Ebay shopping is better, or Bitcoin and an escrow.  

Interesting because PayPal recently paid my claim against seller Dikisu from here who I sent $25 for SB card (1/2 up front bal on receipt) but he never delivered.  I also had one for a $150 eBay SB card purchase that I never got and they paid that without question.  This was last summer.  I told them exactly what I purchased. No problem collecting.  As I said, it could be because I have been with them for over 20 years with very few claims.  There are also many phony claims against LEGIT SELLERS as well by a scamming buyer trying to get free stuff which is why I assume they are selective in their refunds of digital goods.  If the seller doesn't respond to the filed complaint of the buyer they will pay out. If the seller disputes the buyers complaint it might be a different result.  Over the years my business has easily run over $1,000,000 through eBay so it is possible I am treated a little different.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: