Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:46:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoin co-operation  (Read 664 times)
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 03:14:22 PM

It seems that a lot of altcoins get launched with a flurry of work and enthusiasm, and then interest from the lead developer wanes and the coin dies a slow (or not so slow) death.

Is there an opportunity for altcoin developers, especially for those coins where there are only one or 2 developers, to work together for mutual benefit?

Could altcoins share developer resources so that work done related to one coin could be fairly easily ported to another coin?

If altcoins that are technically similar shared developer resources, would that then allow devs to spend more time on marketing their coins to their particular audience?

Not being a dev myself I don't know the answers to these questions. Maybe the fact that so much work is already shared as opensource via github means there isn't much room for efficiency gains through an 'altcoin co-operative'.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 04:59:37 PM

SuperNET is based around the idea of alts combining resources and working together towards a greater goal. Each currency is unique though so it's not quite the same as your proposed idea of similar coins working together, but similar in spirit.

Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 06:00:54 PM

When I read the title, I assumed this would be about Supernet. I echo Este above.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:45:24 PM

As do I......it is kind of insane that legitimate crypto projects waste so much time in competing with each other......we shouldn't be fighting to control the small pool that is crypto, we should all be fighting to get out into the mainstream ocean, and make some serious waves.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:31:58 PM

Bitshares has an interesting mechanic where altcoin developers can join the altcoin and work on the blockchain for funding that is chosen directly by bitshares stakeholders. This allows an altcoin developer to leverage their skills across a larger community while receiving a larger (or at least more liquid) reward for their work.
btcinstantsupport

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:03:33 PM

So if SuperNET is the answer how does one get involved to "share" their resources ?
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 10:35:47 PM

SuperNET is based around the idea of alts combining resources and working together towards a greater goal. Each currency is unique though so it's not quite the same as your proposed idea of similar coins working together, but similar in spirit.

I've made a few attempts to “get” SuperNET but I find the description too vague and hand-wavy to be able to build a satisfactory understanding.

For instance, pertinent to the OP's question.

“SuperNET will make revenues from the fees its core assets receive, as well as advertising revenue and shared fees with third parties. ... 20 percent for coin communities, according to their proportional contribution” (from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=762346.0).

This might be an interesting idea in principle but I just haven't been able to find any detail. I'd want to know whether that's 20% of net or gross and who maintains the accounting for “advertising revenue and shared fees with third parties”. I'd also want to know how “proportional contribution” is defined and measured in operational terms and the associated accounting calendar. I'll definitely want to know whether there are legal contracts to specify the performance and the full details of the legal entity with whom any contractual relationship is to be established.

And that's just from two sentences. Is this all spelled out in detail somewhere?

Cheers

Graham
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 05:11:29 AM

Why would a dev be marketing?
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 11:10:20 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2015, 07:37:15 PM by Este Nuno

I've made a few attempts to “get” SuperNET but I find the description too vague and hand-wavy to be able to build a satisfactory understanding.

For instance, pertinent to the OP's question.

“SuperNET will make revenues from the fees its core assets receive, as well as advertising revenue and shared fees with third parties. ... 20 percent for coin communities, according to their proportional contribution” (from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=762346.0).

This might be an interesting idea in principle but I just haven't been able to find any detail. I'd want to know whether that's 20% of net or gross and who maintains the accounting for “advertising revenue and shared fees with third parties”. I'd also want to know how “proportional contribution” is defined and measured in operational terms and the associated accounting calendar. I'll definitely want to know whether there are legal contracts to specify the performance and the full details of the legal entity with whom any contractual relationship is to be established.

And that's just from two sentences. Is this all spelled out in detail somewhere?

Cheers

Graham

It's gross revenue in general. As to who would maintain the accounting I'd imagine someone would be hired to fulfill that position when the time comes. But that's quite a ways away before any sort of revenue based on fees is generated, as I believe the plan for the near future is to offer most services free of charge to drive adoption and build a user base.

I don't think there is any more specific documentation yet, but I think there should be. Especially as there was already an issue with interpretation of an incentive bonus structure that wasn't paid out, but could have been had the criteria been met.

And I'm pretty sure there's not much desire from people to establish any sort of legal entity yet. The goal is to decentralise things as much as possible as time goes on. Perhaps there will be some demand for someone to start an arbitration service or something though.
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:59:05 PM

Why would a dev be marketing?
Because they want people to actually use their coin.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 04:20:02 PM

It's gross revenue in general ...

Este, thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Graham
altcoin hitler

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 04:24:44 PM

Hey bimmerhead why don't you just stick to your aurora scamcoin? Nobody wants to play with you who isn't a scammer.

King of the real Bitcoin Foundation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 06:15:43 PM

Hey bimmerhead why don't you just stick to your aurora scamcoin? Nobody wants to play with you who isn't a scammer.

Now how did I know before I looked at your profile that you had registered on December 7, 2014?

You should have waited at least a few days between setting up all your sock puppets to give yourself a modicum of credibility.

finnile

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 07:20:52 PM

I have seen a lot of altcoins developers do this. Maybe they should work on reviving some ideas from old alts and use it in their coins.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: