Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:36:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are you still buying mining equipment?
Yes - 37 (18.1%)
No - 79 (38.7%)
I have some hardware on the way, but after that, I'm done. - 37 (18.1%)
Can't.... stop.... mining.... - 14 (6.9%)
I may buy more in the future if the difficulty stops rising so quickly. - 37 (18.1%)
Total Voters: 204

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Are you still buying mining equipment?  (Read 4367 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 03:46:15 PM

Just curious.  So answer the poll already!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 05:17:39 PM

INVESTING is the best choice right now. Just buy bitcoins with as much cash as you have !
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 05:35:56 PM

right now i'm tweaking all my miners - latest miner versions, overclocking, case cooling, etc.  i've boosted my Mh/sec rate almost 20% since the difficulty rise - practically as good as getting a new miner.

so no hardware right now.  we'll see how difficulty goes.

and frankly, given the speed at which things move, i'm going to wait a couple weeks to see what happens on the FPGA front.  my miners have paid for themselves many times over, so i can afford to look at re-investing if the FPGA possibilities are good.

i guess my answer isn't in your poll...
Iceredwing

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:35:00 PM

No would be my answer.
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 11:09:26 PM

No
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 11:17:26 PM

Yeesh - almost half of all respondents indicated that they will still be adding more hashing power in the coming weeks!  I was hoping for numbers less than that, but now I fully expect difficulty to continue rising as quickly as it has in the last few weeks.
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 11:21:04 PM

Just bought a few bits but I'm done for now
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 11:42:46 PM

I remember seeing a post where someone was saying the difficulty would drop and it was naive to think it would exponentially increase all the time. The other guy said once you hit that point of no return it's pretty much done... I think I agree we are either near or at that point.  This increase in difficulty won't stop until there is nearly no profit for anyone that isn't mining at the highest efficiency. Likely a commercial venture of sort once the word gets out a bit more. 

Any media exposure and we can pretty much say bye bye to mining profits for the masses?

It's apparent that mining will trend toward small profit. Any undertaking that has massive profit will grow until the profit is reduced (everyone tries to grab that profit). Serious miners should understand this and practice high efficiency.
BitcoinRigs.com

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 12:38:35 AM

Lots of people are still buying. We can't buy enough video cards to keep up with demand!

Dedicated Bitcoin Mining Rigs from http://bitcoinrigs.com/
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:45:25 AM

yes, why not ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 12:56:54 AM

yes, why not ?

Because difficulty going up without BTC price going up will cause the payback to be less then the price of the equipment.  Our next difficulty is on track to be more then a 50% increase again and it is happening sooner then 10 days.  If you repeat that just four more times mining is not very profitable. 

I just got my last 6990 card.  It should make some acceptable money in the next month.   After that profit is unlikely.  I will turn my equipment off a little before it becomes unprofitable due resale value of the equipment. 

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 01:00:23 AM

yes, why not ?

Because difficulty going up without BTC price going up will cause the payback to be less then the price of the equipment.  Our next difficulty is on track to be more then a 50% increase again and it is happening sooner then 10 days.  If you repeat that just four more times mining is not very profitable. 

I just got my last 6990 card.  It should make some acceptable money in the next month.   After that profit is unlikely.  I will turn my equipment off a little before it becomes unprofitable due resale value of the equipment. 

Please define what is "profitable". Or what is a good ROI for a business. 20% a year ?  30% ? 60% ?   Wink   

acamus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 01:03:22 AM

"Because difficulty going up without BTC price going up will cause the payback to be less then the price of the equipment. " I plan to track the rate of difficulty increase vs bitcoin value in the coming months, probably until august before buying anything. There is no guarantee of profit or loss but there should be some trending going on. Hopefully I can use the money to finish my PhD in mathematical finance.
JJG

Activity: 70
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 03:57:13 AM

yes, why not ?

Please define what is "profitable". Or what is a good ROI for a business. 20% a year ?  30% ? 60% ?   Wink   

Here's the thing:

Difficulty only needs to make a few more big jumps before your return starts to get awfully close to the cost of mining (equipment depreciation + electricity costs). Eventually, you'll be up against the flat-rate/free electricity crowd.

There will probably be marginal profitability for most for quite some time, but these margins will be thin and fluctuate heavily with the exchange rates.... UNLESS you're convinced that BTC value will just continue to go up.

However, if BTC just keeps going up then mining is not where you should be putting your money. Buying BTC directly will yield much larger profits given the same investment, or alternatively will yield the same profits with less investment.

For the record, I don't believe BTC value will continue to rise as it has. I do believe difficulty will continue increasing until marginal profits are minimal, however.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 04:50:48 AM

Before you answer the poll here is something to think about.  I believe these numbers are correct:
Code:
             Difficulty     Average to win  Rise from previous
Previous:    157,416.40     1.13 Ghashes/s
Current:     244,112.48     1.75 Ghashes/s 55.07%
Next (est):  393,849.00     2.82 Ghashes/s 61.34%

If you are interested I got my raw historical data from here http://blockexplorer.com/q/nethash and the estimate next difficulty here: http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/ (at the top of the page - will happen in 789 more blocks as of the time of this post)

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 06:09:15 AM

This is the way I am trying to answer this question for myself:

Todays network hash rate is estimated at about 3.5 Thashs/s.  So if I build a hot 3.5 Ghashs/s system that would be exacly 0.1% of the network.  Since the entire system produces about $50,000 per day at the current price of $7 per BTC my share should average out to about $50 per day.

Assuming that the average rate of growth in the value of the BTC matches the average rate of growth of the network then I will continue to average about $50 per day until 2013.

$50 per day is about $18,000 per year.  Can I build a 3.5 Ghash/s system for less than $18,000?  Yes.  If the above assumption holds is it worth doing?  Yes.  Will the above growth rate assumption hold.  That is the real question here.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 07:44:46 AM

This is the way I am trying to answer this question for myself:

Todays network hash rate is estimated at about 3.5 Thashs/s.  So if I build a hot 3.5 Ghashs/s system that would be exacly 0.1% of the network.  Since the entire system produces about $50,000 per day at the current price of $7 per BTC my share should average out to about $50 per day.

Assuming that the average rate of growth in the value of the BTC matches the average rate of growth of the network then I will continue to average about $50 per day until 2013.

$50 per day is about $18,000 per year.  Can I build a 3.5 Ghash/s system for less than $18,000?  Yes.  If the above assumption holds is it worth doing?  Yes.  Will the above growth rate assumption hold.  That is the real question here.
Bitcoin value has remained stagnate for the past 11 days, while difficulty has almost doubled in the same time period.  Wishful thinking doesn't make it happen.

There has to be a reason for a rally - more investors come in looking for bitcoins, so they infuse cash into the market.  There doesn't have to be a reason for difficulty to increase - it just happens, whether there is growth in the value of BTC or not.  The reason for this is because it is still profitable to mine, even with the lower value/generation ratio.  People will continue purchasing mining equipment until the revenue is very close to the expense of electricity.  Prepare to make $2-$3/day with that same 3.5ghps in the not-so-distant future.
gusti
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:33:01 AM

yes, why not ?

Here's the thing:

Difficulty only needs to make a few more big jumps before your return starts to get awfully close to the cost of mining (equipment depreciation + electricity costs). Eventually, you'll be up against the flat-rate/free electricity crowd.

There will probably be marginal profitability for most for quite some time, but these margins will be thin and fluctuate heavily with the exchange rates.... UNLESS you're convinced that BTC value will just continue to go up.

However, if BTC just keeps going up then mining is not where you should be putting your money. Buying BTC directly will yield much larger profits given the same investment, or alternatively will yield the same profits with less investment.

For the record, I don't believe BTC value will continue to rise as it has. I do believe difficulty will continue increasing until marginal profits are minimal, however.

Too many assumptions, few facts. If you believe that buying btc directly is the best thing to do, pls sell me at $1.32, which is the actual cost for me to mine each one.   Grin

fergalish

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:51:20 AM

INVESTING is the best choice right now. Just buy bitcoins with as much cash as you have !
How about we *don't* turn bitcoin into a ponzi scheme.  Pleeeeeeease?
oVPN

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 12:07:30 PM

i just bought Asus EAH5850 (725MHz gpu / 1000MHz mem) clocked to 900/900. without clocking says 260M Hash/sec, but with clocking up to 350M ! Smiley temp nice at 65°C for 5 days with >95% activity now Smiley

oVPN.to Anonymous Services
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: