Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:57:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: deleted  (Read 14520 times)
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 05:42:20 AM

yeah i was thinking fireworks and thunder and bcx being all smug and gloating.  This attack fails imo.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 05:44:32 AM

This attack fails imo.

Sums it up perfectly.

Nothing happened.  Not even one pool went down as far as I know.

I want my money back.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 05:58:54 AM

I'm also bored...

Did I miss something ?

yeah i was thinking fireworks and thunder and bcx being all smug and gloating.  This attack fails imo.

The attack is unnoticeable until the chains are merged! What is so hard to get about that?
The fork is being hashed offline. Once it is of sufficient length/difficulty, it will be merged by syncing with the nodes of the network. This is because the nodes accept the longest chain by default.

bitcoiners

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:00:19 AM

yeah i was thinking fireworks and thunder and bcx being all smug and gloating.  This attack fails imo.

The attack is unnoticeable until the chains are merged! What is so hard to get about that?
The fork is being hashed offline. Once it is of sufficient length/difficulty, it will be merged by syncing with the nodes of the network. This is because the nodes accept the longest chain by default.

The ddosing of the pools would have to come first.  It has not.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:05:38 AM

That is the last step before merging the chains, just to make damn sure it merges without a hitch.
If she says it's coming, I wouldn't doubt it, even if only because of her past successes.

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:06:17 AM

Already the hash rate gone up & the hash rate for unknown is less than 42%
That means no attack can be done now.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 06:07:22 AM

My original time line stated the second fork would be merged Late Fri/Early Sat and its still Friday evening here depending on how soon I could get the herders lines up to take out the pools. I gave you guys three days warning and still as you can see by the hash rate chart, a large majority of you are on the pools exposing LTC to a 51% attack.

http://pool-x.eu/net

Simply amazing, everyone is depending on everyone else to solo mine and keep them safe.

Pathetic actually.

*All pools will be taken out in the next few hours followed by merging the forks.
You are admitting that you are organising a denial of service attack on pools ? Im surprised you would admit this in a public forum as you say your identity is well known.

Smoovious

Activity: 504

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:09:25 AM

Already the hash rate gone up & the hash rate for unknown is less than 42%
That means no attack can be done now.

Wouldn't that assume, that his fork, was being built within the same group that graph detects?

Since he was doing it isolated, intending to merge it later, I don't see any reason why he'd show up on it.

The attack can still happen, we don't know how much hash power is working on the fork.

-- Smoov

edit: P2Pool is still incorrect. It should be showing between 10-12MH/s.
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:13:56 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2012, 06:44:13 AM by dishwara

He needs more than 51% hashrate to merge & make it work.
He needs to Ddos all pools & bring their hashrate to low & make his hashrate higher than 50%
If he does that then we can all see the unknown hasrate going more than 51% , if no one is mining solo & only he is mining as unknown or more than 55%- 70% if many are mining solo & he also mining.

Else he needs to ADD his hashpower to network which makes total hashrate to increase, which also can be seen by us.
How much he needs to add?
~239 MH/s, if all the unknown is solo mining and not BitcoinEXpress
or less than 150 MH/s if the unknown is BitcoinEXpress & he is been solo mining for more than some 10 days without telling anyone.

We can all see it in total network hash rates & individual pools hash rate.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 06:44:50 AM

He needs to Ddos all pools & bring their hashrate to low & make his hashrate higher than 50%
If he does that then we can all see the unknown hasrate going more than 51% , if no one is mining solo & only he is mining as unknown or more than 55%- 70% if many are mining solo & he also mining.

Else he needs to ADD his hashpower to network which makes total hashrate to increase, which also can be seen by us.
How much he needs to add?
~239 MH/s, if all the unknown is solo mining.
or less than 150 MH/s if the unknown is only him.

We can all see it in total network hash rates & individual pools hash rate

The attacker's hashrate wont show while they are building a fork.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:45:53 AM

LTC difficulty is low enough to solo mine it, therefore, it should be expected that one would NEED to exceed the full network speed for this attack to be a guaranteed success. So, maybe at some point, we should be looking for a doubling of total hashrate.

dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:46:45 AM

Yes, but it must show when he attacks & i think he already said he started attacking.
bitcoiners

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:46:57 AM

LTC difficulty is low enough to solo mine it, therefore, it should be expected that one would NEED to exceed the full network speed for this attack to be a guaranteed success. So, maybe at some point, we should be looking for a doubling of total hashrate.

Well considering it's been two hours since they've last been active and they've had 3 days to prepare.  I'm about ready to call bullshit and go to bed.  This is fail.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:55:08 AM

My original time line stated the second fork would be merged Late Fri/Early Sat Pacific time and its still Friday evening here depending on how soon I could get the herders lines up to take out the pools. I gave you guys three days warning and still as you can see by the hash rate chart, a large majority of you are on the pools exposing LTC to a 51% attack.

http://pool-x.eu/net

Simply amazing, everyone is depending on everyone else to solo mine and keep them safe.

Pathetic actually.

*All pools will be taken out in the next few hours followed by merging the forks.

Bolded timeline, I added the red (She said PST in another post).
This was posted almost 3 hours ago! Could start any time now!

Smoovious

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:57:28 AM

Yes, but it must show when he attacks & i think he already said he started attacking.

I doubt you'll see it, until he has actually rejoined the network, and either the reorg has completed, or the reorg failed and we resume mining on whichever chain has won.

-- Smoov
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:03:06 AM

first he need to join network, increase his hashrate, this can be done by ddosing pools or by adding his hashrate.
Whatever he needs to get his total hashpower more than 50%.
If he does this, we can see the network hashrate going weird.
Then he needs to add his forked blockchain & since he has 51%, the network will take his block chain as correct one, all will have his blockchain.
Then he needs to play with the network & do what he wants.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 07:10:12 AM

You don't need to see hir hashrate ever. Just hir "longest" (hardest work) chain.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Smoovious

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:11:07 AM

first he need to join network, increase his hashrate, this can be done by ddosing pools or by adding his hashrate.
Whatever he needs to get his total hashpower more than 50%.
If he does this, we can see the network hashrate going weird.
Then he needs to add his forked blockchain & since he has 51%, the network will take his block chain as correct one, all will have his blockchain.
Then he needs to play with the network & do what he wants.
um, no, he'd have to get the hashpower down first, and THEN join the network.

All joining first, and then trying to get the hashpower down, will accomplish, is to begin the reorg before he is ready, and his chain is likely to fail at that point. Assuming he doesn't already have what would end up being 51% when he finally does rejoin. If he already has it, then he has no need to DDoS the pools to give it to him.

In either case, by the time we see that graph change significantly, the attack is under way at that point. Either from the reorg, or the pools going down (and no idea how responsive the graph is. since p2pool is so under-represented from what its actual rate is, I question its accuracy as well)

-- Smoov
dishwara
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 10:07:16 AM

Time at the next click is
10:03 AM
Saturday, July 28, 2012
Standard Time +0000 UTC

I think early Saturday is in between 4-8 am