Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:39:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stop marketing calls ? idea?  (Read 1877 times)
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:19:01 AM

Getting tons of these things, usually a person asking for someone who doesnt live at the address.   They care little that they've disturbed you, who are these people that take a job calling people like this?

Anyway, whats the best way to deafen them? im thinking speak really quiet to suck them in and then shout really loud or use some device to send a large sound down the phone mic.  Maybe they wont call again?
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:24:59 AM

I've got these calls many times but then noticed one thing... At the beginning of conversation they were always asking me do I have any realitives working in the marketing sphere or not. And these calls stopped completely when I answered "yes" to this question.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:40:06 AM

I've got these calls many times but then noticed one thing... At the beginning of conversation they were always asking me do I have any realitives working in the marketing sphere or not. And these calls stopped completely when I answered "yes" to this question.

I dont get that, wish i did.  I get hello is Mr whoever there or Mrs whoever, its normally asking for the same name person, yet i say they dont live here and a different company will call the next day asking for same name.
Balthazar
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:57:04 AM

It seems that somebody accidentally added your number to shared contacts list... Maybe typo or something like that. Try googling your number with some variations in combination with this name, maybe you'll find this guy and his partners... If he's not a fictional character of course.

Another options are changing the number or using the blacklist feature to prevent these unwanted calls.
bf4btc

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:03:26 PM

Hey

You will have to contact you're call provider and they will surely help you may have to pay a little extra but for the price it will be worth it.

Every time you apply for something online there is usually a small box near accept terms and conditions which allows them to give to 3rd parties etc

If it is normally the same name they ask for chances are that person/persons have used you're address to apply for something from said address  Huh 

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 12:11:48 PM

If it's a home phone that you're talking about then just unplug it, telemarketers and the like take advantage of the fact these things normally don't have any blacklist or spam filter of any kind which is why they use them the most and not mobile phones, when I move out that's going to be the first thing I'll do if I can get my own place lol.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:16:01 PM

by not answering the telephone, i haven't for years

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
cryptocoiner

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 12:26:25 PM

Getting tons of these things, usually a person asking for someone who doesnt live at the address.   They care little that they've disturbed you, who are these people that take a job calling people like this?

Anyway, whats the best way to deafen them? im thinking speak really quiet to suck them in and then shout really loud or use some device to send a large sound down the phone mic.  Maybe they wont call again?

Change the phone number. =))

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:31:31 PM

Getting tons of these things, usually a person asking for someone who doesnt live at the address.   They care little that they've disturbed you, who are these people that take a job calling people like this?

Anyway, whats the best way to deafen them? im thinking speak really quiet to suck them in and then shout really loud or use some device to send a large sound down the phone mic.  Maybe they wont call again?

Which country you live in? Some countries have a system called 'DND' (Do Not Disturb) or something along those lines.

Basically you register your phone number with this and marketing calls stop.
If you still get a marketing call, you can file a complaint through free SMS and their connection gets disconnected.

Some countries provide this service for free, some charge a little.

EDIT:
Here's example for India: http://ndnc.net/
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:08:17 PM

Can phones be programmed to stop "spam" calls? If they can't, why not? We have all kinds of email spam controls. We can even set the levels of spam control on some email clients. Why isn't this feature a thing that is standard on all phones?

Would you be worried about missing calls from friends or business if that feature was available? Program their number into your phone as accept-all-calls. You can do this with email clients.

Is there some kind of conspiracy with the phone companies that has made this a kind of thing that isn't readily available nationwide, maybe worldwide?

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:10:38 PM

Getting tons of these things, usually a person asking for someone who doesnt live at the address.   They care little that they've disturbed you, who are these people that take a job calling people like this?

Anyway, whats the best way to deafen them? im thinking speak really quiet to suck them in and then shout really loud or use some device to send a large sound down the phone mic.  Maybe they wont call again?

Which country you live in? Some countries have a system called 'DND' (Do Not Disturb) or something along those lines.

Basically you register your phone number with this and marketing calls stop.
If you still get a marketing call, you can file a complaint through free SMS and their connection gets disconnected.

Some countries provide this service for free, some charge a little.

EDIT:
Here's example for India: http://ndnc.net/

UK and from speaking to a few other people in UK they get the same type of thing.  Ive changed my number in the past, it doesnt seem to hold the marketing off for long.  With BT fwiw.  

Not answering the phone works 90% time sure but sometimes i need to answer.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:12:36 PM

Is there some kind of conspiracy with the phone companies that has made this a kind of thing that isn't readily available nationwide, maybe worldwide?

Smiley

Im wondering if BT sell off our phone numbers tbh.  It must be a very succesful form of marketing to scam older people who see the landline phone as cutting edge technology & cant live without it.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 01:20:00 PM

Smiley

Im wondering if BT sell off our phone numbers tbh.  It must be a very succesful form of marketing to scam older people who see the landline phone as cutting edge technology & cant live without it.

It's not just BT lots of corporations sell off the information of people who sign up to their services, makes extra money for them, awhile back in the UK there was a whole thing about it.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:28:16 PM

Smiley

It's not just BT lots of corporations sell off the information of people who sign up to their services, makes extra money for them, awhile back in the UK there was a whole thing about it.

Im waiting for mobile internet to be solid enough that i can run my business and stream video then the landline is gone for good. Last time checked mobile internet still sucks?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 01:29:58 PM

Curious...why do you still have a land line?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:39:10 PM

I want to ditch it, all i need is the internet, what set up do i need?   or you mean just unplug the phone?
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:41:56 PM

I think there's a paid service that removes your phone number from marketers calling list.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:47:15 PM

I think there's a paid service that removes your phone number from marketers calling list.

oh so like a protection racket hehe.

Balthazar
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:59:48 PM

Can phones be programmed to stop "spam" calls? If they can't, why not? We have all kinds of email spam controls. We can even set the levels of spam control on some email clients. Why isn't this feature a thing that is standard on all phones?

Oh, c'mon. Cheesy Those phones providing no blacklist feature because they're usually too cheap. But nothing stops you from buying Android-based device which would be capable to do so.

I can't imagine why would somebody buy high-end or middle-end smartphone while still using $10 crap as landline phone.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 02:03:20 PM

I want to ditch it, all i need is the internet, what set up do i need?   or you mean just unplug the phone?

Ahh, so you use the phone line for Internet?

I'm just saying, most people just use their cell phone as the main line. You could just unplug it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: