Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:03:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: look at all that volatility...  (Read 1283 times)
old_engineer (OP)

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 03:28:40 AM

After sitting out about 6 months now, watching these $1+daily swings are making me want to get back in the game .  Also, the shelf full of fine scotch funded from my prior "work" has thinned dramatically, and reinforcements will soon be needed. Smiley

My totally uneducated opinion is:
* halving of the block reward will increase future price
* miners cashing out at the highest value since September 2011, 60-80% higher than the $5 stable zone, are dropping the price
* the adoption of FPGAs will change the mining demographic, favoring those that plunked down a lot of cash and will want to sell their mined coins ASAP to defray risks, dropping the price
* the ever-present smattering of big-money speculators buying in, and selling at random, make for big market moves at random times

Summed together, I have no idea where the price is going, but my my my, that volatility looks delectable.  I used to be more ideologically motivated about supporting bitcoin, but this time, I think it'll be about making a buck while reducing volatility.

PS: all the triangle charting posts still look completely silly
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 03:31:45 AM

After sitting out about 6 months now, watching these $1+daily swings are making me want to get back in the game .  Also, the shelf full of fine scotch funded from my prior "work" has thinned dramatically, and reinforcements will soon be needed. Smiley

* miners cashing out at the highest value since September 2011, 60-80% higher than the $5 stable zone, are dropping the price
* the adoption of FPGAs will change the mining demographic, favoring those that plunked down a lot of cash and will want to sell their mined coins ASAP to defray risks, dropping the price
* the ever-present smattering of big-money speculators buying in, and selling at random, make for big market moves at random times

Summed together, I have no idea where the price is going, but my my my, that volatility looks delectable.  I used to be more ideologically motivated about supporting bitcoin, but this time, I think it'll be about making a buck while reducing volatility.

Just put your bitcoins in pirates bank and enjoy an easy 7% weekly... lol

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 04:34:04 AM

pirate
inb4 shitstorm
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 04:55:29 AM

You seriously only bought (nice) scotch with your profits so far?  Jeez.  "First world problems" as my brother likes to say, lol!
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 4282

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 05:44:43 AM

lol

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 06:10:07 AM

It has been calm since last couple of days. Might it be the calm before the storm?
old_engineer (OP)

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:40:19 PM

You seriously only bought (nice) scotch with your profits so far?  Jeez.  "First world problems" as my brother likes to say, lol!
Yep, I spent my profits on fine drink and women; the rest I just wasted. Smiley  Twice I spent >$1000 at Bevmo - those were fun trips. Also hosted several dinner parties, too, feeding 20+ people each time with enormous primal cuts of meat (usually full 13-15 lb briskets), while people helped themselves to a cabinet full of liquor.  Good times, and bitcoin was mentioned many times - good advertising, eh?  There's no way I could have drunk all of those bottles myself, reinforcements were needed. Seriously, I don't think there's anything more important in life than to, y'know, live a little.  Learned that bit of wisdom in Africa, actually: death might come at any time, don't save all your money, spend some of it, too, and enjoy life.</offtopic>

So, it looks like Mtgox is still the only real game in town, so I'm transferring some USD to mtgox, will probably put some orders in the 7.7-7.9 range.  No real rush to jump in the fray; I'll see if I can catch a dump in the next week or two and resell at ~8.5
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:50:46 AM

Yep, I spent my profits on fine drink and women; the rest I just wasted. Twice I spent >$1000 at Bevmo - those were fun trips. Also hosted several dinner parties, too, feeding 20+ people each time with enormous primal cuts of meat (usually full 13-15 lb briskets), while people helped themselves to a cabinet full of liquor.  Good times, and bitcoin was mentioned many times - good advertising, eh?  There's no way I could have drunk all of those bottles myself, reinforcements were needed. Seriously, I don't think there's anything more important in life than to, y'know, live a little.  Learned that bit of wisdom in Africa, actually: death might come at any time, don't save all your money, spend some of it, too, and enjoy life.

I like you, your stories, and your style. Welcome back to Crazyland.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: