Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:29:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spondoolies SP35 - Heat + Noise  (Read 2824 times)
warrmr (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:03:11 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2015, 10:48:51 AM by warrmr

Hi Guys,

I have been given permission to host 1x SP35 miner in my test enviroment at work which currently contains 5 other servers all pumping out heat into the comms rack in my office, unfortunatly it is not in a temparature controlled enviroment (yet). This should be fixed in the upcoming months where the rack will be moved to an air conditioned room they should also be upgrading me to a 30amp supply to my rack.

Currently the intake temprature on my servers are reading 38c and they will shutdown automatically if intake temp reaches 42c.

https://i.imgur.com/NBE7YvP.jpg

If I add an SP35 in this rack do you think it will push up the ambent temp up those magic 4 degrees and cause problems for my other servers, if it will how noisy are these units as I could leave the back door of the cab open in order to release some of the heat if required.

If things go well I will ask the boss if I can add a 2nd one in order to bring my # rate up to 10th/s
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:14:39 PM

you are gonna be pushing it... that SP35 is indeed gonna put up that ambient by quite a bit and without air-con, you are gonna have issues.

best luck with it.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Jamphone

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:22:56 PM

And with air conditioning included, you basically will have to double your power usage (it will emit 99% of the energy as heat, you will need equal amount of energy to cool that heat) so that device will never make enough money to cover its own cost.

you are gonna be pushing it... that SP35 is indeed gonna put up that ambient by quite a bit and without air-con, you are gonna have issues.

best luck with it.

MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:30:58 PM

3650W is 12,447 BTU of heat.  You will probably go over without cooling.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 05:34:46 PM

3650W is 12,447 BTU of heat.  You will probably go over without cooling.

Agreed temps will easily rise 4 degrees. You might be able to underclock the SP35 quite a bit and make it work, but really doubtful.
warrmr (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:36:12 PM

Thanks guys,

That is the answer I was expecting but not the one I wanted, it does make sense given that the S5 kicks out enough heat that my lounge is a toasty 21c without heating. I was hoping that if I left the back door on the cab open it would keep the temps low enough that I could run it on a temporary basis until the rack is moved to its new location in a temperature controlled server room generally kept at 18 - 21c @ 30% - 36% RH

@Jamphone I am interested if you could elaborate your response regarding it not paying for itself.

My work is allowing me to host this unit FOC in my test environment where all costs are covered (Power & Data) so my only cost is roughly £1600 for the hardware itself. Given that my current setup (roughly 1.3th\s is yielding me 0.1 BTC per week) adding a SP35 should yield me roughly 0.5BTC per week. I have to give my manager 2BTC for hosting (up front fee not a re occurring cost).

So providing that it keeps making BTCs for me i will return a profit eventually; especially if the BTC price jumps in price to some silly price again then all will be well.

The only way I can see myself not making money off this is if it needs to be hosted in our T3 Datacenter which comes with a £450PCM fee + Electricity, or if the BTC price tanks and never recovers.

NOTE: I am not rubbishing your response all input is very valuable to me but I am struggling to get past all of the people who say " you will never profit/break even mining is a waste of electricity. the difficulty is too hard" I would like a balanced argument on both sides.

Thank you again for your input.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 08:19:32 PM

And with air conditioning included, you basically will have to double your power usage (it will emit 99% of the energy as heat, you will need equal amount of energy to cool that heat)

Isn't AC roughly 1/3 the energy again to remove the energy, not 100%?

And to the OP, if you limit the SP35 to 800W per PSU it is crazily quieter as the PSU's fans remain low @ 40C. Or 950W @ 36C, 1100W at 30C, 1200W at 26C. Your numbers might vary slightly as my temp readings may not be entirely accurate.

Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 11:27:24 PM

NOTE: I am not rubbishing your response all input is very valuable to me but I am struggling to get past all of the people who say " you will never profit/break even mining is a waste of electricity. the difficulty is too hard" I would like a balanced argument on both sides.

I am also confused by this argument. I see a profit can be made if you stay efficient with your set up.
I think that is because I don't see the word "Millionaire" when I read the word profit.
ALOT of people on here say mining is dead and gone, BUT they still do it!!!
They're on here everyday posting/reading topics and posting pics of their gear,...so if it's not profitable, even a little
WHY ARE THEY STILL HERE???

I think you're in a good position to make a Profit---Go For It!!!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 12:22:42 AM

Funny how people always change their tune. The same people who said in the summer of 2013 that BTC mining was dead and no point in doing it were then the same people buying antminers s1 up the ass in December because BTC price when over $1000. Now with prices low again the same people now saying again that mining is a waste of time. Yes mining now is very difficult. Given the low BTC price and difficulty you are not going to make a profit or cover your cost. Unless you own a dam and are making your own electricity, you will not cover your electric cost for running the miner or air conditioning. Some people can mine at a loss with the hope of future profit. This is a good time now for the hobby miner, not so much for the big mining farms.
dogjunior

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 12:36:49 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2015, 01:36:34 AM by dogjunior

I am also confused by this argument. I see a profit can be made if you stay efficient with your set up.
I think that is because I don't see the word "Millionaire" when I read the word profit.
They're on here everyday posting/reading topics and posting pics of their gear,...so if it's not profitable, even a little

In the UK the averge cost per kw is .24 cents. So 20.76 dollar a day to run. 622.08 dollars per month. If he gets 2 BTC per month at 220 per BTC his net loss per month is 182.08 dollars. How is this a profit?
Shazam!!!

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 12:59:26 AM

In the UK the averate cost per kw is .24 cents. So 20.76 dollar a day to run. 622.08 dollars per month. If he gets 2 BTC per month at 220 per BTC his net loss per month is 182.08 dollars. How is this a profit?

from the sentence that says "My work is allowing me to host this unit FOC in my test environment where all costs are covered (Power & Data)".
Especially the part--all cost are covered.

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 01:21:53 AM

To the OP, do you have any other options, say a backup plan if things didn't work out?
Could you run the unit anywhere else temporarily if needed??
Or, downclock them both?

I am always looking for a silver lining, and with the prices of things at this time we must look at things as an investment, or fun worth the price, but I also want to make a profit. Actually, I am happy breaking even at current pricing because the knowledge gained is hard to put a price on.

I was mentioning to someone just moments ago that I was considering speaking with the main owner at our place. We have worked closely together for many years. I think the only issue would be that if I do it others will want to, and then the whining starts. It has happened before over company vehicles heh. But, you never know until you ask.

Another thought for a backup plan is if you decide to go ahead and things didn't work out you could have a buyer already lined up. Depending on how you made the deal you would not be out much and it is not going to take long to know if you have issues, even downclocked, what would it take, one hot day? Where I am we still have a couple of winter months I am enjoying. I hope you are as well.

I will check back on this thread and I say if you think it will work, if the line is that close in your mind, you ran the numbers, then get yourself a good backup plan and go for it.  Wink

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
dogjunior

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 03:08:18 AM

In the UK the averate cost per kw is .24 cents. So 20.76 dollar a day to run. 622.08 dollars per month. If he gets 2 BTC per month at 220 per BTC his net loss per month is 182.08 dollars. How is this a profit?

from the sentence that says "My work is allowing me to host this unit FOC in my test environment where all costs are covered (Power & Data)".

Yes I read where he said this, however I don't believe his work knows how much electricity the SP35 will be using. His other 5 servers seem to be dell r710. At 500 watts each that is 2.5 Kw of electricity. The SP35 at full speed will be doing 3.6 Kw. So they are going to be seeing more than a 100 percent increase in the electrical cost associated with this rack of equipment. I don't think they would be willing to cover a 600 dollar electric bill per month FOC if they knew. I want to see how they feel after a few months of big electric bills.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 05:41:09 AM

And with air conditioning included, you basically will have to double your power usage (it will emit 99% of the energy as heat, you will need equal amount of energy to cool that heat)

Isn't AC roughly 1/3 the energy again to remove the energy, not 100%?

And to the OP, if you limit the SP35 to 800W per PSU it is crazily quieter as the PSU's fans remain low @ 40C. Or 950W @ 36C, 1100W at 30C, 1200W at 26C. Your numbers might vary slightly as my temp readings may not be entirely accurate.

correct on both. AC power isnt 1:1 with the kw of heat, its generally 30-35% depending on efficiency of the AC and other factors

and i can attest to the second point. I just setup an SP30 (basically an SP35 / smaller PSUs) to run at 30-40% fans in the daytime (3.6TH/2kw) and ramp up to 80-90% (4.2TH/2.6kW) at nighttime when noone is around and power is cheaper.

at 40% fans are comparable to an Sp20 at ~30%

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Shazam!!!

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 09:04:42 AM

Yes I read where he said this, however I don't believe his work knows how much electricity the SP35 will be using. His other 5 servers seem to be dell r710. At 500 watts each that is 2.5 Kw of electricity. The SP35 at full speed will be doing 3.6 Kw. So they are going to be seeing more than a 100 percent increase in the electrical cost associated with this rack of equipment. I don't think they would be willing to cover a 600 dollar electric bill per month FOC if they knew. I want to see how they feel after a few months of big electric bills.

The op posted that the company is relocating the existing equipment AND the SP35
to a better controlled environment that is going to have upgraded power.
It sounds as if the op has talked this over with the people "in charge".

dogjunior

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 02:59:27 PM

The op posted that the company is relocating the existing equipment AND the SP35
to a better controlled environment that is going to have upgraded power.
It sounds as if the op has talked this over with the people "in charge".

Ya I doubt that the people in charge know that their electric bill is going to go up 600 dollars.  Here is the conversation.

CFO: Why did our electric bill go up $600 dollars?
IT: We let a developer run a SP35 server FOC. Must be using a lot of electricity.
CFO: Unplug it right now. No way we are covering a $600 dollar bill.

If this were your business would you be ok with a $600 dollar increase in your electric bill?
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 03:03:54 PM

Ya I doubt that the people in charge know that their electric bill is going to go up 600 dollars.  Here is the conversation.

IT: We let a developer run a SP35 server FOC. Must be using a lot of electricity.

If this were your business would you be ok with a $600 dollar increase in your electric bill?

You presume a lot with this post, it's entirely possible that could happen but I sure hope the basic questions like how much power would be used were asked by the authority approving permission..

We allow things like that to run knowing exactly what it will cost, the treatment of facility costs vary depending on the business but in our case it is a fringe benefit for employees and we know exactly what we are doing.. Another local facility provides 220V 30A as a benefit for the same purposes, in short while you make a valid point it's entirely possible it's no issue for them...

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
https://www.bitworks.io
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 04:46:20 PM

Everyone is assuming a lot.

He might work for a Fortune 500 company.  He just maybe located in a small office with a small server room.  In which case I doubt they would notice an SP35 on their 200 sites of electric bills.

He might work in a small office that has power included in their lease so building is paying the bill.

He could have his own company wind farm powering the office.

I say if he has permission let him do it, if he has to unplug it I will buy it cheap  Grin LOL

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
Marvell1
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1102

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 05:06:42 PM

Everyone is assuming a lot.

He might work for a Fortune 500 company.  He just maybe located in a small office with a small server room.  In which case I doubt they would notice an SP35 on their 200 sites of electric bills.

He might work in a small office that has power included in their lease so building is paying the bill.

He could have his own company wind farm powering the office.

I say if he has permission let him do it, if he has to unplug it I will buy it cheap  Grin LOL

I think its best to err on the side of safety I would advise FULL disclousre like the previous poster said before you plug anything in.

people have been fired for less

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
dogjunior

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 11:45:26 PM

You presume a lot with this post, it's entirely possible that could happen but I sure hope the basic questions like how much power would be used were asked by the authority approving permission..

We allow things like that to run knowing exactly what it will cost, the treatment of facility costs vary depending on the business but in our case it is a fringe benefit for employees and we know exactly what we are doing.. Another local facility provides 220V 30A as a benefit for the same purposes, in short while you make a valid point it's entirely possible it's no issue for them...

Yes I presume a lot. Could his work be ok with the increased cost of hosting a SP35? Sure. He could be trading his services for the hosting of his equipment. In this case it could be a good exchange for both parties. If everyone is aware of what is going on and ok with it then I say more power to him and why not buy a second SP35 and have them foot the electric bill. If they really don't know and he values his job then better make sure they are aware so he doesn't get fired.  All I am saying.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: