Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:48:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PrismCoin: 3d etching BTC address in Crystal  (Read 3453 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 09:15:06 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2012, 09:30:31 PM by crazy_rabbit

I was looking recently at someone do this at a tourist location in Venice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ko5RE2oh00

I instantly thought- how cool that would be to do for Bitcoin. Etch via Laser QR codes of bitcoin addresses and Private keys into the crystal. For example you could perhaps even do multiple layers of bitcoin addresses on on plane, and private keys on another, and using a special planer light source illuminate only one at a time. If your light source was super thin and planer, you could potentially store tens, hundreds or thousands of addresses in the crystal depending on the technical limits of the system.

Could make for an extremely cool "cold storage" system. One could image the sense of power from opening a safe deposite box to find only a crystal cube. Smiley

Of course, unless you do this at home- how do you provide a service and securely include the private key?

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 10:13:10 PM

I was looking recently at someone do this at a tourist location in Venice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ko5RE2oh00

I instantly thought- how cool that would be to do for Bitcoin. Etch via Laser QR codes of bitcoin addresses and Private keys into the crystal. For example you could perhaps even do multiple layers of bitcoin addresses on on plane, and private keys on another, and using a special planer light source illuminate only one at a time. If your light source was super thin and planer, you could potentially store tens, hundreds or thousands of addresses in the crystal depending on the technical limits of the system.

Could make for an extremely cool "cold storage" system. One could image the sense of power from opening a safe deposite box to find only a crystal cube. Smiley

Of course, unless you do this at home- how do you provide a service and securely include the private key?

I have been thinking about this same problem for the past year.

Cold storage that is not stored on electronic devices.

Sure paper wallets are cool but you kinda need to have the same info in a lot of different places.

Only problem is if there was a fire, the paper is gone.

I have been thinking of engraving an encrypted private key in titanium or something else that is kinda apocalyptic proof.

So man. I am on the same page as you!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:28:18 AM

Titanium: Melting point of 1668°C (which is ok), but will erode pretty quickly in harsh environment (saltwater, electrochemical corrosion etc).
If you are serious, go for stainless steel :-)
(And solder it in between two pieces of copper or something)
This would not be a "cold wallet" or similar, but more of a last-resort-backup you don't actually intent to use anytime soon. But maybe your inheritants will be happy to find it in xx years.

Ente
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:13:39 PM

Titanium: Melting point of 1668°C (which is ok), but will erode pretty quickly in harsh environment (saltwater, electrochemical corrosion etc).
If you are serious, go for stainless steel :-)
(And solder it in between two pieces of copper or something)
This would not be a "cold wallet" or similar, but more of a last-resort-backup you don't actually intent to use anytime soon. But maybe your inheritants will be happy to find it in xx years.

Ente

I would be interested in a Titanium wallet.

The question is, should we have a private key encrypted or should we have SEVERAL private keys encrypted into a single AES block that we will have engraved?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 06:23:54 PM

If you want a lasting material go with tungsten.

Melting point is significantly higher than structure fires, it is non reactive in most environments, and has high toughness.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 07:38:21 PM

I can see some beings or humans in the future unearthing these metal pieces with long strings of numbers and letters trying to figure out what it is.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 07:22:04 AM

I would be interested in a Titanium wallet.

The question is, should we have a private key encrypted or should we have SEVERAL private keys encrypted into a single AES block that we will have engraved?

I would, ahem, suggest, y'know, to have an encrypted version on your computer, as a working version. Engrave the private key unencrypted and directly onto your metal. Keep this in a safe place. Vault, buried, some family member's place. This would only be used in case all encrypted "computer" versions vanish in a catastrophic event. More like an insurance than a cold wallet..

If you want a lasting material go with tungsten.
Melting point is significantly higher than structure fires, it is non reactive in most environments, and has high toughness.

Tough? It is? At least Tungsten Carbide (the stuff "tungsten" rings/bands are made of) is brittle. Pure tungsten might indeed be tough, though.
Good luck engraving it. I would guess a diamond tip engraver (preferably) or a laser (no deep engrave) is necessary..

Ente
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 07:26:08 AM

or a laser (no deep engrave)

You obviously need a more powerful laser Wink.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 08:29:25 AM

TIL the 10 Commandments were actually private keys carved into stone tablets.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:08:16 AM

TIL the 10 Commandments were actually private keys carved into stone tablets.

SHA256("Thou shall not steal")

..has some irony in it.. heh

Ente
Stardust

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 10:12:14 AM

Why not diamond instead of tungsten?
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 10:43:29 AM

Because of the high refractive index.

Well, in case you are indeed serious:
Sure, go on, and aquire a diamond large enough for that. Then have one flat side on it. I suggest at least as large as a stamp for readability. Go on and engravve or laser your keys on it. And start over again once you transfer the funds somewhere else or the like :-)
But yes, technically there do exist enough bitcoins to make all of this worthwile.. Even more once you try to aquire a significant part of them.

Oh, and: Diamond starts burning over 700°C, is brittle, and will have a low reading contrast.

Ente
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 10:54:35 AM

Because of the high refractive index.

Well, in case you are indeed serious:
Sure, go on, and aquire a diamond large enough for that. Then have one flat side on it. I suggest at least as large as a stamp for readability. Go on and engravve or laser your keys on it. And start over again once you transfer the funds somewhere else or the like :-)
But yes, technically there do exist enough bitcoins to make all of this worthwile.. Even more once you try to aquire a significant part of them.

Oh, and: Diamond starts burning over 700°C, is brittle, and will have a low reading contrast.

Ente

There is a Canadian diamond mine that laser etches their diamonds with a polar bear. This makes it easy to tell the difference from a Canadian diamond and a conflict diamond. Add the laser etching to man made diamonds like Gemesis makes and you have a tiny bitcoin wallet. I don't like diamonds since I see them as just shiny rocks but for long term bitcoin storage they would be ideal.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 11:01:04 AM

Why not laser/ engrave the private key onto a 10g gold ingot ?

Something like this will cost you around 100BTC:
http://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-bars/10-gram-gold-bar/umicore-10-gram-gold-bar/

It is 31mm by 18mm (1.22 inches x 0.71inches) so enough space on the back for a private key.

Not fireproof but inert and should your parachute not open on your next sky dive your next of kin are unlikely to throw it out in the trash when they go through your stuff.

If 100BTC is too steep, on the same site a 5g ingot is 24mm x 14mm so I expect a private key will still fit. Half the price !

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Stardust

Activity: 189

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 11:05:03 AM

I was thinking of synthetic diamonds, but if temperature is a problem then tungsten is better.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 12:31:39 PM

Get a cheap 2.5D milling machine and engrave it into a stainless steel plate.

Keep in mind that these kind of things only protect against some personal disaster. If there is an epic solar storm and all computers are fried the blockchain will be gone and the private key useless.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 12:37:28 PM

Keep in mind that these kind of things only protect against some personal disaster. If there is an epic solar storm and all computers are fried the blockchain will be gone and the private key useless.

Which is why I keep a printed copy of the blockchain.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 12:54:44 PM

You did print out 3 Gigabytes of data?
aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:02:14 PM

You did print out 3 Gigabytes of data?
3GB? Cool, that would even include the next half year! Maybe one should take a look and see if pirate did pay in the future... Cheesy
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:06:22 PM

Get a cheap 2.5D milling machine and engrave it into a stainless steel plate.

You could probably do the engraving with a cheap dremel drill (the little handheld ones sold for 'crafts') and a homemade pantograph for size reduction of the text:

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: