Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:43:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-07-26 brw.com.au - PILES OF CASH, REAL OR IMAGINED  (Read 1854 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 10:17:09 PM

BRW is a major Australian weekly business magazine.

PILES OF CASH, REAL OR IMAGINED

Michael Bleby
2012-07-26

http://www.brw.com.au/p/sections/fyi/piles_of_cash_real_or_imagined_hpIQyPUuSquMjLl4y7LBoK

The late governor may be pleased to hear there is even a global virtual currency called Bitcoin.

Used for low-cost peer-to-peer transactions to do away with the need for centralised payment processors, it can support anonymous transactions, just like real cash. But plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. Bitcoin is subject to the same forces that created Macquarie’s dilemma in the first place. It in effect has a fixed money supply, “bringing with it all the associated problems of money hoarding, deflation and depression historically associated with fixed currencies”, the report says.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
osmosis

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:12:29 PM

I like the comment from vorhees on the Deloitte page..
'You know what's "historically associated" with fiat, non-fixed currencies like the USD? Perpetual debasement and theft via inflation. Some people prefer that their money not be debased by a central cartel given monopoly price-fixing privileges (ie - some people prefer free markets over government planning).'
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 10:41:37 AM

All money is imaginary.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:07:22 PM

bringing with it all the associated problems of money hoarding, deflation and depression historically associated with fixed currencies”

Fail, so much fail

julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:46:46 PM

bringing with it all the associated problems of money hoarding, deflation and depression historically associated with fixed currencies”

Fail, so much fail

To be explicit about some of this fail...   it never ceases to amaze me that the people trot out the 'deflation/depression' "problem" apparently without considering what that implies.
It suggests they are worried about the scenario where Bitcoin is the main currency of entire nations or even the globe.
Really? Their main criticism of Bitcoin is that they think it could be so wildly successful that the 'money supply' will be threatened by its deflationary nature?

To be clear - Due to divisibility, I'm not convinced it would be a problem even if Bitcoin was the primary currency, but people comparing Bitcoin's deflation to historical deflation/depression scenarios seems to be treating Bitcoin as a replacement currency set to dominate the world rather than just another currency or commodity amongst many.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:05:30 PM

All money is imaginary.

Until you buy food with it.

Mathematics is imaginary. Poetry is imaginary. All meaningless statements in isolation.

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 09:02:16 AM

All money is imaginary.

Mathematics is imaginary. Poetry is imaginary. All meaningless statements in isolation.

The reason I point out it's imaginary is to reveal the lie that you need money to obtain food, shelter or any other basic human need.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:21:46 AM

All money is imaginary.

The reason I point out it's imaginary is to reveal the lie that you need money to obtain food, shelter or any other basic human need.

The food, shelter or the like doesn't appear magically out of thin air. You need human work to make these, and so, if money is a representation of human work, you need money to obtain food and the like.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 08:21:47 PM

All money is imaginary.

The food, shelter or the like doesn't appear magically out of thin air. You need human work to make these, and so, if money is a representation of human work, you need money to obtain food and the like.

Most of my food comes from a simple recipe: water + soil + sunlight + labor.  No money involved.  I did pay for my house though.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 12:56:05 AM

Money is irrelevant to the processes of life and the advancement of technology.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:38:48 AM

To be explicit about some of this fail...   it never ceases to amaze me that the people trot out the 'deflation/depression' "problem" apparently without considering what that implies.
It suggests they are worried about the scenario where Bitcoin is the main currency of entire nations or even the globe.
Really? Their main criticism of Bitcoin is that they think it could be so wildly successful that the 'money supply' will be threatened by its deflationary nature?

To be clear - Due to divisibility, I'm not convinced it would be a problem even if Bitcoin was the primary currency, but people comparing Bitcoin's deflation to historical deflation/depression scenarios seems to be treating Bitcoin as a replacement currency set to dominate the world rather than just another currency or commodity amongst many.

I've looked into the divisibility for another project representing people using fractions of BTC, here's my notes:

...this leads to some interesting possibilities. Assuming that we aren't dealing with the minimum unit - you could represent every person in the united states with one vote (Jul 1, 2011    311.59 million - U.S. Census) for the amount of:

0.0000001 = 10 million 'votes' per 1 BTC
You'd need: 31,159,000 fractions to represent the US population, which equals:
31,159,000 x 0.0000001 = 3.1159 BTC

That's quite heady of a concept, and it wasn't even the minimum divisible unit!

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:44:05 AM

I've looked into the divisibility for another project representing people using fractions of BTC, here's my notes:

...this leads to some interesting possibilities. Assuming that we aren't dealing with the minimum unit - you could represent every person in the united states with one vote (Jul 1, 2011    311.59 million - U.S. Census) for the amount of:

0.0000001 = 10 million 'votes' per 1 BTC
You'd need: 31,159,000 fractions to represent the US population, which equals:
31,159,000 x 0.0000001 = 3.1159 BTC

That's quite heady of a concept, and it wasn't even the minimum divisible unit!

Sending private keys to voters is the easy half of the online voting problem.  Ensuring the key isn't intercepted or used by someone else is the hard part.  I suppose you could register in person to receive a master key that they encrypt each elections key to.  Okay, that "half" wasn't so hard.  Now we just need to make it so the average person can understand it.  THAT is the hard part Wink.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:14:40 AM

All money is imaginary.

Most of my food comes from a simple recipe: water + soil + sunlight + labor.  No money involved.  I did pay for my house though.
Proving the point that money is not imaginary.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:19:29 AM

All money is imaginary.

I think what he is trying to bring across is that money's valuation is imaginary. That is true. Its in the mind of anyone who perceives value in money. However that doesn't make it invalid or not useful, just like mathematics isn't invalid or useless.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 06:55:36 AM

While, as you state, money is quite irrelevant for the processes of life, its instead absolutely necessary for the advancement of technology because it allows the division of labour and thus, specialization.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:38:03 AM

if money is a representation of human work,

thank you
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:40:38 AM

All money is imaginary.

I think what he is trying to bring across is that money's valuation is imaginary. That is true. Its in the mind of anyone who perceives value in money. However that doesn't make it invalid or not useful, just like mathematics isn't invalid or useless.

In which case the value of life is imaginary because it's in the mind of anyone who perceives value in life...
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:37:21 PM

All money is imaginary.

In which case the value of life is imaginary because it's in the mind of anyone who perceives value in life...

Nope.  Life is real because even if I don't value my life I don't stop living.  If I don't value money, it loses it's usefulness.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:36:56 AM

well you could go back to the barter system that brought us out of caves ... but human advancement is based on the sophistication of division of labour.

And if you haven't figured that out yet, you haven't studied the real functions that money performs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: