Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:18:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, How Long Will It Last?  (Read 5460 times)
jeffhuys

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:14:51 PM

So, all the coins will eventually be mined, right? (What year was it again? I forgot...) And the only incentive to mine will be the fees.
How much would the fees be? They must be rather big to give enough incentive to mine...

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vm_mpn

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:32:24 PM

So, all the coins will eventually be mined, right? (What year was it again? I forgot...) And the only incentive to mine will be the fees.
How much would the fees be? They must be rather big to give enough incentive to mine...

Approximately 2141 when last fraction of bitcoin reward hits the chain... After that purely transaction fees. @ that time fees are most likely to be mandatory and Bitcoin will have much higher conversion value.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 08:27:59 PM

There will allways be mining the fees, and it will probably still be profitable, believing that the price should be much higher.
I doubt fees will be mandatory, because once again, if the price becomes insane, even a fraction of bitcoin for fees would be too much.
I believe bitcoin will last for a long time, but also, that it will be replaced by something better in the future, or it will itself be dramaticaly changed to be better.

cheers
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 09:31:18 PM

How long does it take to "get to the moon"?

I hope it lasts that long with that much success.

cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 11:12:04 PM

I think it will last forever,unless there is a world internet lack
Beymond

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:07:57 AM

It is not dying anytime soon
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 12:39:32 PM

How Long Will Bitcoin Endure?

How long?
How long can it hold its price?
How long can it stand its value?
Is the end near?
Or will it just be remembered in the statue?

It will last till 2140 when all the coins are mined then probably die , we can't see that tho , since we will be all dead by then
i am sure by then there will be powerful machines to mine bitcoin easily no matter the difficulty.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 01:02:39 PM

How long? I think long than all of our lifetime.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 03:56:41 PM

It's not about endurance , it will just go on as i think
cryptocoiner

Activity: 602

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:16:08 PM

Approximately 2141 when last fraction of bitcoin reward hits the chain... After that purely transaction fees. @ that time fees are most likely to be mandatory and Bitcoin will have much higher conversion value.

but it will continue to be in existence even after that. So will last much more.

Have a doubt we still be needing him at that time.

rikkie

Activity: 574

Richard Coleman - Chief Executive @ CloudThink.IO

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:22:13 PM

I think this will stay for ever.
It's now already more than 5 years and still alive, why should it stop in the (near) future.
The price will go up and down, but that is with everything on the market so.
Some other coins will disappear, but bitcoin will stay forever i think.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 06:30:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXA_-2cIYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zekNyJf9Ok

Kiss

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 07:09:11 PM

Thougts on maidsafe's current price? I want to enter the market with at least 1 BTC but im scared we are about to see a correction soon to about 10K again.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 08:30:19 PM

No idea. Perhaps the most important factor is whether BTC is willing and able to mutate with the times. There's lots of talk of it being able to absorb any innovations that other coins might have, but technical development is stale, maybe rightly so.

I assume layers will be built on top that will allow such things. If it becomes fluid, adaptable and reactive then it could outlast us all. If the ecosystem and interfaces operate in the same manner as it does now in five years then I think it'll wither and die. No doubt there are thousand of bright minds working to change things for the better right now.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 09:59:42 PM

There are still people who buy and sell obsolete currency for sentimental or collection reasons, I will be one of them and thus bitcoin will likely not fail for a few generation even under the worst possible scenarios.

My expectations are much more optimistic than this however.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 10:41:23 PM

There are still people who buy and sell obsolete currency for sentimental or collection reasons, I will be one of them and thus bitcoin will likely not fail for a few generation even under the worst possible scenarios.

My expectations are much more optimistic than this however.

But its not like you can frame bitcoin to show around your friends and family, i mean u could frame a paperwallet, but someone would just scan it and take the coins :]
I believe bitcoin will last more than 10 years definetly, when most of the mining is over bitcoin will have to proove itself one more time that it stands value, but i think it allready
is enough widespread and adopted to continue momentum, and not die out like some rebel idea.

cheers
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 10:51:27 PM

Bitcoin will be around for as long as it takes for another alt coin to surpass it with better technology, ect.
If people start using another coin more than BTC then there will be less transactions which means less fees for the miners, once that happens then BTC mining will no longer be profitable and bitcoin itself could die, i hope not. 

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 11:08:39 PM

Bitcoin lasts technically till at least 1 valid copy of the blockchain exists, once thats gone... its goodbye to Bitcoin forever.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 11:24:35 PM

Bitcoin lasts technically till at least 1 valid copy of the blockchain exists, once thats gone... its goodbye to Bitcoin forever.
Technically yes. But Bitcoin is strong only as long as people will be willing to use it. If they one day find another way is more efficient - bitcoin will be done for. It only exist because it is worth something for people.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 12:31:25 AM

Technically yes. But Bitcoin is strong only as long as people will be willing to use it. If they one day find another way is more efficient - bitcoin will be done for. It only exist because it is worth something for people.
I know that, all I did was just answer OP's question on a very technical level =)
Your reply really apply's more so to it actually being worth something and having a market price.
But, alas, the protocol & network exist as long as 2 people participate in it, which would be the closest to its 'bitter end'.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: