Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 01:44:30 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.
 
   Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to set up a portable bitcoin  (Read 1985 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1666



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:08:14 AM
 #1

I'm trying to set up a bitcoin client to run entirely from a thumbdrive, using the latest MS client.  I find that it puts the wallet.dat, blk0001.dat, and blkindex.dat files in an entirely insecure location, namely on the C: drive in the appdata subdirectories.  I don't want that behavior at all, and need to know how I should go about getting the client installed onto the thumb drive to use the copies of these files I have on the thumbdrive itself and to not write data to the C: drive or the registry whatever.

 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
1480772670
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1480772670

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1480772670
Reply with quote  #2

1480772670
Report to moderator
1480772670
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1480772670

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1480772670
Reply with quote  #2

1480772670
Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
1480772670
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1480772670

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1480772670
Reply with quote  #2

1480772670
Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 700


View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:10:51 AM
 #2

I'm trying to set up a bitcoin client to run entirely from a thumbdrive, using the latest MS client.  I find that it puts the wallet.dat, blk0001.dat, and blkindex.dat files in an entirely insecure location, namely on the C: drive in the appdata subdirectories.  I don't want that behavior at all, and need to know how I should go about getting the client installed onto the thumb drive to use the copies of these files I have on the thumbdrive itself and to not write data to the C: drive or the registry whatever.

 

The most surefire way to get that to happen is probably edit the source (it's opensource right?) and change "C:\blahblah" to "<usbdrive>:\blablah".

MoonShadow
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1666



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:13:16 AM
 #3

I'm trying to set up a bitcoin client to run entirely from a thumbdrive, using the latest MS client.  I find that it puts the wallet.dat, blk0001.dat, and blkindex.dat files in an entirely insecure location, namely on the C: drive in the appdata subdirectories.  I don't want that behavior at all, and need to know how I should go about getting the client installed onto the thumb drive to use the copies of these files I have on the thumbdrive itself and to not write data to the C: drive or the registry whatever.

 

The most surefire way to get that to happen is probably edit the source (it's opensource right?) and change "C:\blahblah" to "<usbdrive>:\blablah".



You're probably right about that, but I dont have the skillset required to modify the source.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
SomeoneWeird
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 700


View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:44:11 AM
 #4

Try something like http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/overview.html
Alex Beckenham
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Activity: 154


View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:49:17 AM
 #5

You could make a batch file containing:

@echo off
bitcoin -datadir=./data


That way, the wallet.dat and other files will be written to your thumbdrive.

cypherdoc
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1764



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:13:32 PM
 #6

a USB client is exactly what i'm looking for as well.
BitterTea
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 294



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:21:43 PM
 #7

I use something like this. My program WalletBuddy allows me to set up a removable device and will copy specified wallet(s) as well as the Bitcoin executable and related files automatically. I haven't updated it in a long time though since it mostly works for me as-is, and I'm not sure the version in github has this feature. If anybody's interested, I could polish it up and release a new version, it's pretty much at the 20% of the remaining work requires 80% of the effort phase. Smiley

To do it manually, copy all Bitcoin program files to a folder on the drive, say E:\Bitcoin. Then create a batch file to run "bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data".
cypherdoc
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1764



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:31:54 PM
 #8

I use something like this. My program WalletBuddy allows me to set up a removable device and will copy specified wallet(s) as well as the Bitcoin executable and related files automatically. I haven't updated it in a long time though since it mostly works for me as-is, and I'm not sure the version in github has this feature. If anybody's interested, I could polish it up and release a new version, it's pretty much at the 20% of the remaining work requires 80% of the effort phase. Smiley

To do it manually, copy all Bitcoin program files to a folder on the drive, say E:\Bitcoin. Then create a batch file to run "bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data".

are the program files in a different location than where the wallet.dat resides?
BitterTea
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 294



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:45:52 PM
 #9

Yes, in my case, the program files are in E:\Bitcoin, while the data files (blocks, addresses, wallet, etc) are in E:\Bitcoin\data.

-datadir=.\data tells Bitcoin to look for a subdirectory called data in the current directory.
cypherdoc
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1764



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:58:31 PM
 #10

I use something like this. My program WalletBuddy allows me to set up a removable device and will copy specified wallet(s) as well as the Bitcoin executable and related files automatically. I haven't updated it in a long time though since it mostly works for me as-is, and I'm not sure the version in github has this feature. If anybody's interested, I could polish it up and release a new version, it's pretty much at the 20% of the remaining work requires 80% of the effort phase. Smiley

To do it manually, copy all Bitcoin program files to a folder on the drive, say E:\Bitcoin. Then create a batch file to run "bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data".

where do i get a copy of WalletBuddy?
BitterTea
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 294



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:06:58 PM
 #11

I use something like this. My program WalletBuddy allows me to set up a removable device and will copy specified wallet(s) as well as the Bitcoin executable and related files automatically. I haven't updated it in a long time though since it mostly works for me as-is, and I'm not sure the version in github has this feature. If anybody's interested, I could polish it up and release a new version, it's pretty much at the 20% of the remaining work requires 80% of the effort phase. Smiley

To do it manually, copy all Bitcoin program files to a folder on the drive, say E:\Bitcoin. Then create a batch file to run "bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data".

where do i get a copy of WalletBuddy?

https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy

As far as I know, nobody has vetted my code to ensure it's not going to steal your wallet, but I promise that it won't.

I'll try to fix a couple of bugs I've run into and push a new version to github today. It works but it's not super user friendly.
cypherdoc
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1764



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:24:35 PM
 #12

I use something like this. My program WalletBuddy allows me to set up a removable device and will copy specified wallet(s) as well as the Bitcoin executable and related files automatically. I haven't updated it in a long time though since it mostly works for me as-is, and I'm not sure the version in github has this feature. If anybody's interested, I could polish it up and release a new version, it's pretty much at the 20% of the remaining work requires 80% of the effort phase. Smiley

To do it manually, copy all Bitcoin program files to a folder on the drive, say E:\Bitcoin. Then create a batch file to run "bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data".

where do i get a copy of WalletBuddy?

https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy

As far as I know, nobody has vetted my code to ensure it's not going to steal your wallet, but I promise that it won't.

I'll try to fix a couple of bugs I've run into and push a new version to github today. It works but it's not super user friendly.

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry
Binford 6100
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 504


PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D


View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:27:33 PM
 #13

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry

would you rather a thorough 23 pages DIY howto or splash out 5 btc for a usb key in mail with the .exe + 125000 blocks in the blockchain?

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
cypherdoc
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1764



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:31:36 PM
 #14

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry

would you rather a thorough 23 pages DIY howto or splash out 5 btc for a usb key in mail with the .exe + 125000 blocks in the blockchain?

i already have a 4G Ironkey that i use.  r u using BitterTeas Wallet Buddy program or ur own?  i might be interested.
cypherdoc
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1764



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:34:09 PM
 #15

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry

would you rather a thorough 23 pages DIY howto or splash out 5 btc for a usb key in mail with the .exe + 125000 blocks in the blockchain?

can u send me the DIY?
BitterTea
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 294



View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:36:58 PM
 #16

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry

would you rather a thorough 23 pages DIY howto or splash out 5 btc for a usb key in mail with the .exe + 125000 blocks in the blockchain?

i already have a 4G Ironkey that i use.  r u using BitterTeas Wallet Buddy program or ur own?  i might be interested.

Here are the binaries, you can download and install from here. I suggest you wait until later today, I will try to put out version 0.1.2.

https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy/binaries
Binford 6100
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 504


PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D


View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:24:15 PM
 #17

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry

would you rather a thorough 23 pages DIY howto or splash out 5 btc for a usb key in mail with the .exe + 125000 blocks in the blockchain?

can u send me the DIY?

started writing it. (mnml howto install git software, download from github, etc)

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Binford 6100
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 504


PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D


View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:05:23 PM
 #18

Here are the binaries, you can download and install from here. I suggest you wait until later today, I will try to put out version 0.1.2.
https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy/binaries

I'm getting 404 error for anything starting with Fnordsoft at github. was it removed or something?

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
BitterTea
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 294



View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:31:33 PM
 #19

Sorry about that, I had changed the name of my repository, but later realized it was stupid to do so. Thankfully, github support quickly reverted the change even though they say you only get one name change.

It should be good now, though I have not yet had time to commit the additional changes I mentioned.
Binford 6100
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 504


PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D


View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:46:01 PM
 #20

It should be good now, though I have not yet had time to commit the additional changes I mentioned.

Thanks! works OK now.
the msi installer from March looks promissing.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!