Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:44:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to set up a portable bitcoin  (Read 2298 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:08:14 AM

I'm trying to set up a bitcoin client to run entirely from a thumbdrive, using the latest MS client.  I find that it puts the wallet.dat, blk0001.dat, and blkindex.dat files in an entirely insecure location, namely on the C: drive in the appdata subdirectories.  I don't want that behavior at all, and need to know how I should go about getting the client installed onto the thumb drive to use the copies of these files I have on the thumbdrive itself and to not write data to the C: drive or the registry whatever.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:10:51 AM

I'm trying to set up a bitcoin client to run entirely from a thumbdrive, using the latest MS client.  I find that it puts the wallet.dat, blk0001.dat, and blkindex.dat files in an entirely insecure location, namely on the C: drive in the appdata subdirectories.  I don't want that behavior at all, and need to know how I should go about getting the client installed onto the thumb drive to use the copies of these files I have on the thumbdrive itself and to not write data to the C: drive or the registry whatever.

The most surefire way to get that to happen is probably edit the source (it's opensource right?) and change "C:\blahblah" to "<usbdrive>:\blablah".

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:13:16 AM

The most surefire way to get that to happen is probably edit the source (it's opensource right?) and change "C:\blahblah" to "<usbdrive>:\blablah".

You're probably right about that, but I dont have the skillset required to modify the source.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:44:11 AM

Try something like http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/overview.html
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 12:49:17 AM

You could make a batch file containing:

@echo off
bitcoin -datadir=./data

That way, the wallet.dat and other files will be written to your thumbdrive.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:13:32 PM

a USB client is exactly what i'm looking for as well.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:21:43 PM

I use something like this. My program WalletBuddy allows me to set up a removable device and will copy specified wallet(s) as well as the Bitcoin executable and related files automatically. I haven't updated it in a long time though since it mostly works for me as-is, and I'm not sure the version in github has this feature. If anybody's interested, I could polish it up and release a new version, it's pretty much at the 20% of the remaining work requires 80% of the effort phase. Smiley

To do it manually, copy all Bitcoin program files to a folder on the drive, say E:\Bitcoin. Then create a batch file to run "bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data".
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:31:54 PM

I use something like this. My program WalletBuddy allows me to set up a removable device and will copy specified wallet(s) as well as the Bitcoin executable and related files automatically. I haven't updated it in a long time though since it mostly works for me as-is, and I'm not sure the version in github has this feature. If anybody's interested, I could polish it up and release a new version, it's pretty much at the 20% of the remaining work requires 80% of the effort phase. Smiley

To do it manually, copy all Bitcoin program files to a folder on the drive, say E:\Bitcoin. Then create a batch file to run "bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data".

are the program files in a different location than where the wallet.dat resides?
BitterTea

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:45:52 PM

Yes, in my case, the program files are in E:\Bitcoin, while the data files (blocks, addresses, wallet, etc) are in E:\Bitcoin\data.

-datadir=.\data tells Bitcoin to look for a subdirectory called data in the current directory.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:58:31 PM

where do i get a copy of WalletBuddy?
BitterTea

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:06:58 PM

https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy

As far as I know, nobody has vetted my code to ensure it's not going to steal your wallet, but I promise that it won't.

I'll try to fix a couple of bugs I've run into and push a new version to github today. It works but it's not super user friendly.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:24:35 PM

https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy

As far as I know, nobody has vetted my code to ensure it's not going to steal your wallet, but I promise that it won't.

I'll try to fix a couple of bugs I've run into and push a new version to github today. It works but it's not super user friendly.

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:27:33 PM

being a non techie i have no idea how to download, install or use github programs.  not your fault, but would love to try it.  sorry

would you rather a thorough 23 pages DIY howto or splash out 5 btc for a usb key in mail with the .exe + 125000 blocks in the blockchain?

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:31:36 PM

would you rather a thorough 23 pages DIY howto or splash out 5 btc for a usb key in mail with the .exe + 125000 blocks in the blockchain?

i already have a 4G Ironkey that i use.  r u using BitterTeas Wallet Buddy program or ur own?  i might be interested.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:34:09 PM

can u send me the DIY?
BitterTea

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:36:58 PM

i already have a 4G Ironkey that i use.  r u using BitterTeas Wallet Buddy program or ur own?  i might be interested.

Here are the binaries, you can download and install from here. I suggest you wait until later today, I will try to put out version 0.1.2.

https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy/binaries
Binford 6100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:24:15 PM

can u send me the DIY?

started writing it. (mnml howto install git software, download from github, etc)

Binford 6100

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:05:23 PM

Here are the binaries, you can download and install from here. I suggest you wait until later today, I will try to put out version 0.1.2.
https://github.com/Fnordsoft/Bitcoin-Projects/tree/master/Desktop%20Applications/WalletBuddy/binaries

I'm getting 404 error for anything starting with Fnordsoft at github. was it removed or something?

BitterTea

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:31:33 PM

Sorry about that, I had changed the name of my repository, but later realized it was stupid to do so. Thankfully, github support quickly reverted the change even though they say you only get one name change.

It should be good now, though I have not yet had time to commit the additional changes I mentioned.
Binford 6100

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 04:46:01 PM

It should be good now, though I have not yet had time to commit the additional changes I mentioned.

Thanks! works OK now.
the msi installer from March looks promissing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: