Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:47:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you guys think of this rig?  (Read 4736 times)
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:45:17 AM

if he had extra-cash and prefer to invest it into better appearance/reliability/ease of use &etc instead of horsepower - is okay, IMO Smiley
but if his goal maximize RoI dynamic, you may be right.

right now im tryin ti figure out a 3 video card rig

i am still going to try to figure out how to stick 4 ati radeon 5850's in 1 rig

1 stupid case that will hold it, and has 9 expansion slots, only need 8 for 4 video, but you have that extra in and of a half + motherboard that extends past the 8th exp slot

i dont know how to use linux or ubunto or any of that crap, i got a Wink sp3 version of windows

and i dont want my power supply to melt, catch my room and house on fire

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:47:02 AM

if he had extra-cash and prefer to invest it into better appearance/reliability/ease of use &etc instead of horsepower - is okay, IMO Smiley
but if his goal maximize RoI dynamic, you may be right.

He was thinking about not even putting a hard drive in it, so that means that this rig isn't intended to be a general purpose machine.

i didn't even include some things

i can buy a 50 dollar HDrive....... or you going to freak out at me cuz its not cost effective? lol

anyway

im down to $359.88 bux without the video cards
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:56:28 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2011, 05:10:39 AM by Basiley

so, safer to pay more, if unsure, yes.
its also [unreasonable, alittle, meaning everyday hardware flow] investment -)
nothing to beat hard-drives on storage market this time. and you can't rely on SSD on all aspects, except of read time[some time :], so tinies possible hdd could be simplest solution[to deploy/maintain/use]/storage pick.
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:06:31 AM

its also [unreasoanble, alittle, meaning everyday hardware flow] investment -)
nothing to beat harddrives on storage market this time. and you can't rely on SSD on all aspects, except of read time[some time :], so tinies possible hdd could be simplest solution[to deploy/maintain/use]/storage pick.

sata HDD 80 gigs is $40.99 , so no biggie
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:12:11 AM

its also [unreasoanble, alittle, meaning everyday hardware flow] investment -)
nothing to beat harddrives on storage market this time. and you can't rely on SSD on all aspects, except of read time[some time :], so tinies possible hdd could be simplest solution[to deploy/maintain/use]/storage pick.

sata HDD 80 gigs is $40.99 , so no biggie
for $50 you can get 1Tb hdd nowdays Wink
2Tb for $70-$80 -)
Bitsinmyhead

Activity: 465
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 08:34:12 AM

Every day I see these threads...
People with no clue want to build a rig...
Wasting huge amount of money...
Not realizing the game has changed...

The game is now cheapest rig will win...
Used to be just get it up and running...
Profit margins were so big...
Those times are gone forever...

If you invest $1000 in your rig...
In a year you might make $200 profit...
Cut your costs with $100...
Profit will be up by 50%...

These threads only proves one thing...
People are totally blinded...
By the tempting thought of printing money...
Because of this, in a couple weeks or so...
Difficulty will be a milli++...

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:15:34 PM

I am going off http://golubev.com/gpuest.htm

http://pastebin.com/AvymGnMJ

and a couple of posts in this forum

and a bit coin calculator on the net, that seems to be down right now i wont link it

i think the standard for bitcoin mining is having a decent job and maybe a partner or brother who has a part time job and can keep the machines running all the time

right now i am thinking of that 600 to 700 dollar computer /without the video cards

even if things dont work out i have a bad ass motherboard and 2 graphics card for a computer and 2 spares, or i can give the other 2 cards to my brother or build a decent, cheap, 2 card mining machine
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:19:47 PM

Go find FOUR HD radeon 5850's maybe Gigabyte or Sapphire

and a MOTHERBOARD that will FIT THEM ALL - Dual Card Slot types

and find a COMPUTER CASE that has 9 to 10 expansion slots to fit said video cards

comeback and tell me the cost........
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:31:18 PM

im doing guesswork, trying to save space pysically at the house

ohh the calculator sites up http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 04:50:13 PM

Go find FOUR HD radeon 5850's maybe Gigabyte or Sapphire

and a MOTHERBOARD that will FIT THEM ALL - Dual Card Slot types

and find a COMPUTER CASE that has 9 to 10 expansion slots to fit said video cards

comeback and tell me the cost........

At least 20 benjamins ( $2000 ) !
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:04:37 PM

To put all the rig building cost comments into perspective:

I bought a HD5870 that generated just under 4 bitcoins a day, so I bought 2 more HD5870s and was getting 11 bitcoins a day. Ten days later and I am getting just under 4 bitcoins a day with all 3 cards. My rig was built on old and second hand hardware with three new GPUs and a new PSU for a total cost of less than £600. It costs £20 a month to run. I'll leave you to work out if its worth building your rig, but don't forget that the difficulty will probably have gone up again by the time you've got it working. The link below will shed some light on this:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

what i am thinking of is buying a motherboard that will fit 3 cards at the moment, i dont know if i can clock these cards and get 275 to 350

lets say i buy 2 cards at first, then in a couple of weeks buy the third card, ill have those working for 1 to 3 months, then maybe sell like 50 or 100 bitcoins to help pay for second rig,

im just gonna have to figure stuff like this as i go

like how much do these companys buy bitcoins in bulk, what type of ram, or power supply i need?

stuff like that

pretty much the immediate goal is to break 1.5 to  2 gigs of hash's and be in a mining pool
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 07:21:00 PM

Hash Rate (mega-hashes / second)   1000  if i can get all 3 video cards to hit 340+ and stay that way

per Day   ฿4.12

per Week    ฿30.04

per Month   ฿125.24

a coins what 6 to 7 dollars , the computer would pay for itself in 1 month plus 1 to 2 weeks
Freakin

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:19:07 PM

Hash Rate (mega-hashes / second)   1000  if i can get all 3 video cards to hit 340+ and stay that way

per Day   ฿4.12

per Week    ฿30.04

per Month   ฿125.24

a coins what 6 to 7 dollars , the computer would pay for itself in 1 month plus 1 to 2 weeks

So lets lay this out.  Difficultly is going to increase very soon (5-9 days) and is expected to be close to 400k.  50-60% increases are expected every 2 weeks after that

With a 1Gh/s machine
For first week (244k difficulty) - ฿30.04
2nd & 3rd week (~400k difficulty) - ฿18.34 x2
4th & 5th week (~600k difficulty) - ฿12.22 x2
6th & 7th week (~900k difficulty) - ฿8.15 x 2
8th week (~1.35M difficulty) - ฿5.43

This is the point that you think you'll have it paid off, and it's only generated ฿112.89 = ~$790 ($7/BTC), not accounting for electricity costs and your time to build it and keep it running.  Your income will continue to decrease to the point that it's not even break even with electricity, let alone the cost of your rig.
*EDIT* and this is assuming you got the rig up and running TODAY, not next week when difficulty has already jumped

I know it sucks to have missed the boat (I found BTC in February and decided against building mining rigs Sad) but it's just not profitable like it used to be.  

If you believe BTC will continue to increase in value relative to other currencies then you should BUY BTC at this point instead of mining them

xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:20:11 PM

Hash Rate (mega-hashes / second)   1000  if i can get all 3 video cards to hit 340+ and stay that way

per Day   ฿4.12

per Week    ฿30.04

per Month   ฿125.24

No. It won't.

The difficulty is currently estimated to go up by ~70% in less than 2 days. And then it will probably go up another 30-60% 1.5 weeks after that. And so on and so on.

Your income is asymptotic, not linear.

If you were to get 2 day shipping, and started mining right after the difficulty rise in less than 2 days, then you could make (with 1GHash/sec) ~2.47BTC/day or $17.43/day before you take out the cost of electricity. Cost of electricity for that rig will probably be (assuming you are going to use Air Conditioning during the summer) ~$3/day, so your incremental daily profit for just this coming difficulty round would only be ~$14.50.

This next difficulty round will probably only last 10 (or fewer days).

~$14.50/day x 10days = ~$145

And after that 10 days, the difficulty is likely to go up, let's say, 40% (even though 50% is just as likely). At which point, your daily profit would only be ~$9.45/day.

~$9.45/day x 10days = ~$94.50 + ~$145 = ~$239.50 (total profit from rig not including cost of rig)

And after that 10 days, the difficulty is likely to go up, let's say, 40% (even though 50% is just as likely). At which point, your daily profit would only be ~$5.90/day.

~$5.90/day x 10days = ~$59 + ~$239.50 = ~$298.50 (total profit from rig not including cost of rig)

So, after 1 full month, you have only paid off less than $300 of the total cost of your mining rig. That is less than 25% of the cost of your mining rig, not almost completely paid off like you estimated.

But let's keep going.

~$298.50 + ~$33.50 + ~$15.40 + ~$2.40 = ~$349.80

After 2 full months, you might have paid off less than $350 of the total cost of your mining rig.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
DarkKnightNomeD (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:40:42 PM

i figured the difficulty would increase, just not that much that much

to me the only thing right now is to get 3 rigs going asap

then i guess just wait it out, no matter what difficulty, or whatever, till they pay themselves off atleast

ill be watching the difficulty in the coming weeks, and trying to figure if its worth investing more time / money in more equipment
Freakin

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:48:17 PM

then i guess just wait it out, no matter what difficulty, or whatever, till they pay themselves off atleast

ill be watching the difficulty in the coming weeks, and trying to figure if its worth investing more time / money in more equipment

You should instead figure if its worth investing more time / money in more equipment RIGHT NOW

Short-term profitability is not going to make up for lack of long-term profitability.

xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:10:11 PM

Difficulty is not only increasing logarithmically, it is accelerating even on a a logarithmic scale!

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
Gameover

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 10:19:55 PM

To put all the rig building cost comments into perspective:

I bought a HD5870 that generated just under 4 bitcoins a day, so I bought 2 more HD5870s and was getting 11 bitcoins a day. Ten days later and I am getting just under 4 bitcoins a day with all 3 cards. My rig was built on old and second hand hardware with three new GPUs and a new PSU for a total cost of less than £600. It costs £20 a month to run. I'll leave you to work out if its worth building your rig, but don't forget that the difficulty will probably have gone up again by the time you've got it working. The link below will shed some light on this:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

Things are changing so fast people cannot comprehend them, what will your rig generate in 22 days when the difficulty is 1.2-1.5 million?  Will it even be profitable on an energy basis (assuming current value of $7)?  What will the value of bitcoin need to be to be profitable?

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Freakin

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:36:30 PM

Looking like next difficulty jump may be closer to 100% than 50%...
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9723.0
d3c0n808

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 11:21:02 PM

Perhaps you bought your equipment already but I thought I would throw my .02 in here as well.  Everyone has given you great advice.
I have an asrock 890gx extreme 4 board and a sempron 145 with stock cooler.  There is really no need for a 890fx or a high end board.  The asrock has onboard gpu which is nice because your not stealing resources from your mining cards to run the GUI.  So running f0 flag on poclbm is no problem.  The board i think can be had for 140 bucks and has 3 pcie 2.0 slots. and 1 pciex1 slot so theoretically you can stick 4 cards in there with the help of a pcie to pciex16 converter.  The single core sempron can be unlocked depending on the cpu so its a 50/50 that you can get dual core but as it is with 3 cards running poclbm the cpu isn't even taxed.  You can get away with 1gb for linux i prefered 2 an at 30 bucks for 2gb thats no biggie.  a 1000 watt psu can be had for less than 100 bucks now a days depending on how many cards you intend to run.  Make sure if your running 4 cards in one case that you have GOOD fans, unless your going water cooling.  I have 2 delta 250cfm fans for my cards as they run pretty hot overclocked, and at 500cfm they both run at about 68C.  If your going to running windows make sure you have a dummy card for each gpu otherwise windows will not recognize the cards(this is not a problem in linux) Also there are some excellent tutorials on how to mine with linux.  Windows tends to be less stable and a little slower at least in my experience the linux machines hash much more consistently where as my windows machines has a lot of fluctuation. I'm sure some people will disagree.   When I say excellent I mean its just a matter of copy and paste commands into a terminal and I'm sure there are a lot of people that would be more than willing to help you setup any scripting. 
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: