Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:34:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Methods of getting free electricity  (Read 7382 times)
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 03:20:57 AM

I am in the USA. I am wondering what ways there are to get free electricity. For example, maybe certain office leases come with electricity up to a certain amount. Maybe the place i work wouldn't notice or care if half a dozen power supplies were humming away in my cube. How about buying a home that has lots of solar panels just for the sake of hosting miners.....

When i was in college, our apartment rent came with electricity. I am doubtful though something like that would hold up long with the electricity bill was all of a sudden 2k a month.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 09:00:40 AM

I am in the USA. I am wondering what ways there are to get free electricity. For example, maybe certain office leases come with electricity up to a certain amount. Maybe the place i work wouldn't notice or care if half a dozen power supplies were humming away in my cube. How about buying a home that has lots of solar panels just for the sake of hosting miners.....

When i was in college, our apartment rent came with electricity. I am doubtful though something like that would hold up long with the electricity bill was all of a sudden 2k a month.

Move into a building built in the 1960 and prior.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 09:17:06 AM

Okay...You sparked my curiosity. Why 1960 and prior???

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 09:27:11 AM

Okay...You sparked my curiosity. Why 1960 and prior???
'

Most buildings built in the 70s or prior didn't have individual meters because electricity was super cheap in most of North America.

So there are buildings where you pay a fixed rate per year. At the end of the year they take the entire buildings bill and split it against all the occupants. So your 1-2KW miner won't really have much an effect against hundreds of other occupants.

It would be too expensive to re-wire all the electricals just to put in individual meters. I am sure these days "MOST" miners who are still mining with old hardware are only mining because they don't pay for electricity. I am pretty sure this is true for anyone out there still mining with GPUs since its next to impossible to make money on those if you pay for electricity.

Also most business and offices have really cheap or fixed electricity. So you can ask your boss if you are allowed. Most tech companies don't mind.

And if you are a student and live at a college or university you should have free electricity also.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 09:33:19 AM

The thing is it is hard to get something of value for free  Shocked

Like you said though solar panels could be looked at although i am not sure how effective they would be on an average size set up, you could see how much a large generator costs and set up in you're garage if you have one because i reckon that would be pretty loud.

You can even be naughty and bypass the meter but i would not recommend it long term  Grin

I personally would phone my energy company and let them know i was going to be using alot of electric and to use them it needed to be cheaper than X, i am sure you would get a cheap enough deal.

Good luck  
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:37:24 PM

Has anyone looked seriously into their own hydro electric appliance like this

http://www.zotloeterer.com/welcome/gravitation-water-vortex-power-plants/

Costs 60,000 Euro and you get 8,3kW

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Ume

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Finding oNlinE JoB ---=== :)

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:39:19 PM

Well nothing to do Smiley i have free electricity Smiley till my father gets retired !
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:45:18 PM

Well nothing to do Smiley i have free electricity Smiley till my father gets retired !

It only takes a few heavy miners to burn through his retirement pretty quickly... isn't he paying attention?

Ume

Activity: 210

Finding oNlinE JoB ---=== :)

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:50:57 PM

It only takes a few heavy miners to burn through his retirement pretty quickly... isn't he paying attention?

Pay attention to what ?
I have free electricity my computer always on downloading 24/7
But unfortunately dont have miners only some usb miners Sad
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 04:37:38 PM

A deal with the owner of the place for a fixed price for electricity. You move in someone else's place and pay a fixed price for rent and utilities. You place your miner at someone who doesn't pay electricity.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 06:05:28 PM

If you work as an IT Administrator, you'd probably have access to the Datacenter, Comm, or Server closet.  The costs of running and cooling this locked off room are probably a part of the lease deal already.

Rack and stack 'em up high!   Cheesy

P.s. - I'm not condoning this type of action, but if you somehow have the keys and access to this room, a couple of "test servers" would hardly be noticed.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:33:31 PM

There is no true "free power" someone pays for it.

Really only way is like you mention rent and it includes electricity.   Most rentals do not do this its only common in college/university big apartment complex's.  You could move back in one they cannot make being a student required.  But I doubt it would be worth it as most you pay a pretty penny for the housing. 
ilostmyface

Activity: 167

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 10:42:20 PM

The problem is finding something that's "free" electricity but also can handle the amps for a nice setup.
arvindr

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 08:35:43 PM

Depends on every country. In  some people get free electricity as part of the job.

mavericklm

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 08:59:22 PM

too expensive!

old diesel generator running on waste fats Roll Eyes
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 01:04:27 AM

Or waist fats, if you live near a liposuction clinic.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 02:55:07 AM

too expensive!

old diesel generator running on waste fats Roll Eyes

is this a serious possibility? sounds not... butcher shop....?

DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:01:45 AM

Just had this strategy:

Natural gas generator + land with your own natural gas

http://www.wisesales.com/kohler-20resal-20kw-standby-generator-w-200a-ats-se.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA05unBRCymrGilanF9SwSJACqDFRmt2NUwGnbNBH86uKmBnF8cTLuSKstHAY85PMgzqflDBoCDSrw_wcB

Find property that has a low producing well that won't justify a high property value. Buy property, plug in your generators... bam.

How many sp20s can I run on 20kwh?

DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:26:40 AM

Can any of you electricians tell me what this means?Huh?

Generator rated at:

18 kw (NG)
Rated AC Current 75A (NG) @ 240 Volts (Single Phase)
Rated Voltage    240 Volts (Single Phase)

So from this generator how many SP20s can I run? I think one sp20 wants 1400 watts, so this one generator can run 12 SP20s???

Thanks!

adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:43:34 AM

Can any of you electricians tell me what this means?Huh?

Generator rated at:

18 kw (NG)
Rated AC Current 75A (NG) @ 240 Volts (Single Phase)
Rated Voltage    240 Volts (Single Phase)

So from this generator how many SP20s can I run? I think one sp20 wants 1400 watts, so this one generator can run 12 SP20s???

Thanks!

I am pretty sure its cheaper to get electricity from your outlet then buying diesel to generate electricity.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██