Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:44:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Methods of getting free electricity  (Read 7382 times)
jmintuck

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 10:01:50 AM

I used to work at this company which used to pay my electricity bills. I think I could have taken advantage of that to run miners, but a sudden rise of cost might have tipped them off. So I didn't.
But Thats the only way I can think of getting free-electricity.

The only thing I have ever had close is student housing.  It is more and more common with student appartments to include electricity with a cap price.  Mine it was included and the highest "peak" they would charge is 25 dollars extra.

That being said they are not built for mining or lots of watts.   Also I did not do it as It would have been kinda a ass move as my roommates would have paid higher price (25 dollars each) if I abused it.

Back in college I had a similar option too, but the problem was that the power that could be drawn wasn't a lot. The whole system used to trip everytime I connected something like a Heater. So as for miners, thats the last thing I would expect to be able to use on those systems.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Snipe85

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

Infleum

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 03:17:46 AM

Don't know how the 110V grid is made in the States, but in the EU they use 220V 10A breakers (usually 2 per room - one for outlets and one for the lights). I investigated because my PC used to trip these every few days.
It would be hard run anything more than a single S4 in there.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 03:26:55 AM

Don't know how the 110V grid is made in the States, but in the EU they use 220V 10A breakers (usually 2 per room - one for outlets and one for the lights). I investigated because my PC used to trip these every few days.

Varies GREATLY.  It all depends on your electrician and location.  I am lucky that I live on a farm and have two lines going to my house.    I was over 12Kw during winter mining.  But now moving to summer mining have to go a little smaller.

I don't know what we would say normal is.  It varies so much.
Snipe85

Infleum

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 02:10:37 AM

Varies GREATLY.  It all depends on your electrician and location.  I am lucky that I live on a farm and have two lines going to my house.    I was over 12Kw during winter mining.  But now moving to summer mining have to go a little smaller.

I don't know what we would say normal is.  It varies so much.

I was talking about typical dorm rooms, as I agree with @jmintuck that in most cases it's impossible to mine there. Surely at home you can have anything you like. This crazy Brit for instance has a 100A socket in his basement just for fun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMH2t34Rw3E).
Were you using the miners to heat the house? All this excess heat might be great for growing plants in winter.

hugs1BTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:38:55 PM

Back in 2012 I used to mine in a small factory, with business electricity contract, mined for 9 months 24/7 with some ASICs at 0$. Now it's very hard, almost impossible to find free electricity, you should do business with someone in China or other countries where electricity is cheap.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:51:49 PM

Back in 2012 I used to mine in a small factory, with business electricity contract, mined for 9 months 24/7 with some ASICs at 0$. Now it's very hard, almost impossible to find free electricity, you should do business with someone in China or other countries where electricity is cheap.

China is becoming more and more popular.  But there are some places in US with very low electricity price aswell.
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 02:13:04 PM

If you want to manage a big mining farm, china is the best place. You don't even need to move the ASICs out of china border, and workers cost is low
Snipe85

Infleum

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 11:20:11 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to heat a water heater with miners, I know people were talking about it with the liquid cooled miners.

Of course, you'd just have to do the math and probably run the miners in a closed loop, because you'd need a higher pressure in the boiler. It would be good to install a heat pump to make it more efficient.
The reason why people aren't doing it is probably due to the short life of their miners. You rarely use the same units for more than a year so it's not worth it.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:41:49 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to heat a water heater with miners, I know people were talking about it with the liquid cooled miners.

Of course, you'd just have to do the math and probably run the miners in a closed loop, because you'd need a higher pressure in the boiler. It would be good to install a heat pump to make it more efficient.
The reason why people aren't doing it is probably due to the short life of their miners. You rarely use the same units for more than a year so it's not worth it.

That is the big problem with integrating miners into something big. The only thing you really can do easily is in winter use as a space heater.  With moving around to heat house there is no additional cost, just time to find best way to use the heat.
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 02:21:49 PM

http://themindunleashed.org/2013/10/multiple-scientists-confirm-reality-of.html
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 02:09:13 PM

Costs 60,000 Euro and you get 8,3kW

too expensive!

old diesel generator running on waste fats Roll Eyes

is this a serious possibility? sounds not... butcher shop....?

It is possible, but the waste fats would have to be filtered, and the fats would have to be warmed to lower its density to the equivalent of diesel, and then under any circumstance could the generate be shutdown for a long period of time with the fats, otherwise once the fats cool down they increase in viscosity making the generator nearly impossible to run again. so before shutdown it would be needed to switch to diesel, make sure there is no fat on the fuel lines and then shutdown.
Also the fats would have to be free of contaminants that can not be filtered such as acids.

minerbit hill

Activity: 246

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 07:43:54 PM

I don't have numbers, but Australia is said to have very cheap electricity.
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:37:51 AM

... I already have the lumber yard  Grin

Where's yours?  Mine's in Missouri.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 04:05:04 AM

Not to many states away.  Can I ask why  price electricity you are getting in Missouri.
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 12:15:21 PM

Not to many states away.  Can I ask why  price electricity you are getting in Missouri.

Here at the store, I'm getting .0751/kwh after taxes and such.
swilla

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:43:17 AM

I think the gasifier+generator would be the best (cheapest) option. As long as you have access to wood, which you should always be able to find on craigslist, the only real investment would be the generator. Except for time, of course. (just remember, it take somewhere around 25 lbs. of wood to make a gallon of gas) This is the idea my buddy and I are working on now. The government even tried to help us out. http://www.build-a-gasifier.com/fema-gasifier-plans/
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:25:39 AM

I think the gasifier+generator would be the best (cheapest) option. As long as you have access to wood, which you should always be able to find on craigslist, the only real investment would be the generator. Except for time, of course. (just remember, it take somewhere around 25 lbs. of wood to make a gallon of gas) This is the idea my buddy and I are working on now. The government even tried to help us out. http://www.build-a-gasifier.com/fema-gasifier-plans/

I am in agreement somewhat and I have lots of wood, have you run any financial analysis yet?

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:27:44 AM

I am in agreement somewhat and I have lots of wood, have you run any financial analysis yet?

Very interesting, I aswell would like to see finance on wood to electricity on start up cost
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:21:30 PM

I am in the USA. I am wondering what ways there are to get free electricity.

While you are unlikely to find "free electricity" in any significant quantity if you are looking for large scale hosting we offer the lowest prices in the world and we're located right next door in Canada.

If you're curious you can check out our website @ www.greatnorthdata.com and contact us for more information.

Sent them an email out of curiosity, their rates are very respectful @ $63/khw/mo  month to month too
They were very responsive ... but a huge red flag went up when I was told I would be unable to access my rigs remotely. =( Im not sure if thats the norm in ASIC hosting but... the ones Ive looked into all offered remote access control of my miner.
In short, its very uncomfortable being told I would have no way to tell if my equipment was mining or not.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 05:44:08 PM

I am in the USA. I am wondering what ways there are to get free electricity.

While you are unlikely to find "free electricity" in any significant quantity if you are looking for large scale hosting we offer the lowest prices in the world and we're located right next door in Canada.

If you're curious you can check out our website @ www.greatnorthdata.com and contact us for more information.

Sent them an email out of curiosity, their rates are very respectful @ $63/khw/mo  month to month too
They were very responsive ... but a huge red flag went up when I was told I would be unable to access my rigs remotely. =( Im not sure if thats the norm in ASIC hosting but... the ones Ive looked into all offered remote access control of my miner.
In short, its very uncomfortable being told I would have no way to tell if my equipment was mining or not.

Thank you for your interest. Sorry that we do not offer direct access to your miner. It is simply too much of a security risk for us. We could probably write a book on the ways people have tried to illegally access our mine. None have been successful, and we intend to keep it that way.

And you can tell your equipment is mining from the mining pool you choose.

There are plenty of mines that offer access, they just can't match out prices. We would offer access for an order large enough that justified a separate internet connection.

Sorry to set off red flags. We can provide proof of insurance, our corporate registration, ID for our CEO etc. in order to reassure anyone interested.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: