Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:56:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin only Businesses that reject all fiat  (Read 6989 times)
Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:56:27 AM

Why exclude gambling sites?
All this site can add value to bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:23:19 AM

I think it's to look for more practical purposes of Bitcoin. Gambling can be fun, but it's not practical.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
louise123

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:14:07 AM

This is an interesting list.

I didn't know that there were BTC accepting ONLY businesses.

I heard of businesses accepting BTC as well, but not only BTC.

Thanks for the list  Cheesy

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
inBitweTrust (OP)

Merit: 501

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:30:27 AM

I don't think we need a directory for gambling sites being that so many of them pay muppets to spam their business within this forum feeding off the impulsive and credulous.

Go ahead and create your own thread of gambling sites.

P.S... I believe gambling sites should exist without restrictions despite my disfavor for them.
Here is your directory- https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Gambling

Shindo1988

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Samurai

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:54:23 AM

I am interested in compiling a list of businesses that exclusively accept Bitcoin. Businesses that exclusively accept bitcoin are a value added asset to our community as they are more likely to not immediately cash out and any person doing business with them are incentivized to buy bitcoin first. These are the businesses we should value and support first and foremost as they are placing their trust completely in our ecosystem.

-snip-

That is the shitty part with merchants that accept - exclusively or not - Bitcoin.
They cash it out to fiat.
But that is completely understandable because even though they might pay their employees in BTC, they have suppliers that want cash.

╲╲ ╲╲ COINOMAT.COM ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╱╱ ╱╱ First Instant Crypto Exchange                              Sign Up Now!                    Visit our Facebook & Twitter
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:01:57 PM

I am interested in compiling a list of businesses that exclusively accept Bitcoin. Businesses that exclusively accept bitcoin are a value added asset to our community as they are more likely to not immediately cash out and any person doing business with them are incentivized to buy bitcoin first. These are the businesses we should value and support first and foremost as they are placing their trust completely in our ecosystem.

-snip-

That is the shitty part with merchants that accept - exclusively or not - Bitcoin.
But that is completely understandable because even though they might pay their employees in BTC, they have suppliers that want cash.

Look at the list of products and services. Many do this as a side job and are unlikely to be getting much or any money from the less than 1 million bitcoin spenders. At this stage it is more likely they will save at least some of their BTC to recirculate or for investment purposes.

Additionally, if they are so bold to reject all fiat they are doing this for ideological reasons and thus more likely to retrade the BTC further improving our ecosystem. Of course some one down the line eventually will trade out most the btc for fiat but supporting these businesses is a way to reduce bleeding out into fiat and strengthen our ecosystem.

Additionally , any bitcoin only businesses often force the buyer to buy bitcoin to trade which also helps.   

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:09:18 PM

-snip-

They want nice, predictable numbers, too - probably because whoever's spearheading this wants to keep their job. You still get scolded in the business world if you make exponentially more money than you originally forecast because it probably means you didn't really know what you were doing while committing company resources to the project. Almost all enterprise software doing anything with cash forecasting over a span greater than a few months will factor in inflation, and while we don't have great models for something largely arbitrary, we're talking about differences of a few tenths of a percent YoY vs 50-5000% variances YoY. Even over the past few months, even though we're saying bitcoin's super-stable, it's still super-volatile compared to almost any national currency.

The risk appetite for BTC-only businesses is concerning in itself. Holding large percentages of reserves in BTC is dangerous, especially for resource-strapped startups.... but most of those on the list have survived quite possibly the most boring (thinking purely as a speculator) valleys in BTC history, which was preceded by a drawn-out, moderate decline in value. Maybe they have low transaction volume and keep a tiny inventory (it's a hobby), or maybe they just have tons of resources in reserve to draw from, or maybe they really are just cashing out even though they don't accept fiat.
Shindo1988

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Samurai

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:13:27 PM

-snip-

Look at the list of products and services. Many do this as a side job and are unlikely to be getting much or any money from the less than 1 million bitcoin spenders. At this stage it is more likely they will save at least some of their BTC to recirculate or for investment purposes.

Additionally, if they are so bold to reject all fiat they are doing this for ideological reasons and thus more likely to retrade the BTC further improving our ecosystem. Of course some one down the line eventually will trade out most the btc for fiat but supporting these businesses is a way to reduce bleeding out into fiat and strengthen our ecosystem.

Additionally , any bitcoin only businesses often force the buyer to buy bitcoin to trade which also helps.   

But, does it really help forcing your buyer to do something they wouldn't normally do?
Or will it make them look for another shop which takes their fiat?

╲╲ ╲╲ COINOMAT.COM ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╱╱ ╱╱ First Instant Crypto Exchange                              Sign Up Now!                    Visit our Facebook & Twitter
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:23:34 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2015, 12:37:12 PM by inBitweTrust

....or maybe they really are just cashing out even though they don't accept fiat.

These are obviously mostly side projects where most have a day job paying the bills.
These days you can buy practically anything for Bitcoin directly so why do any of them need to cash out to fiat?

Example 1) I buy photography services which forces me to buy more bitcoin on an exchange because I refuse to dip into my savings, Abigail takes the bitcoin and buys some furniture on overstock with bitcoin , overstock cashes out 90% into fiat but saves 10% in bitcoin.

Example 2)I buy photography services which forces me to buy more bitcoin on an exchange because I refuse to dip into my savings, Abigail takes the bitcoin and notices another btc only business (possibly through this thread) and decides to spend her money there instead which keeps the btc in the ecosystem longer instead of cashing out to fiat.

The more clients do this and businesses trade amongst others doing this, the more it will strengthen our ecosystem.

But, does it really help forcing your buyer to do something they wouldn't normally do?

There are already thousands of shops that will sell you the goods and services in this directory. What these businesses are doing are offering a value added proposition to their clients. They are allowing agorists and conscientious consumers a choice to opt out of a corrupt system. To some of us this is a very important feature that we will gladly pay more for (although some of these goods and services are nicely priced) and be forced to buy more btc for. Some of us really don't like paying for drones that go around and murder children or funding our own surveillance state. We understand that while we are somewhat powerless under the current framework to make this choice we can limit our support with the principles of agorism. Bitcoin is a very useful tool for accomplishing this goal.

inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:58:33 PM

I apologize. I completely knew about your company and let this one slip. It is now added.

www.operationfabulous.com

Operation Fabulous
Advertising platform

Needs a bit of work from testing but promising. Added and good luck.

Cry

Brawker shutdown and removed.
http://blog.brawker.com/
http://coinfire.io/2015/04/15/brawker-shuts-down/

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:27:46 PM

-snip-

Well isn't it also quite conceivable that those are just "brands" or "branches" of existing companies or stores, only created with the intention of attracting Bitcoin business? People who like Bitcoin accept it, because it's their 'hobby'. They're into Bitcoin because they want to help its adoption. They won't quit just because sales are low at the beginning.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:40:24 PM

Well isn't it also quite conceivable that those are just "brands" or "branches" of existing companies or stores, only created with the intention of attracting Bitcoin business? People who like Bitcoin accept it, because it's their 'hobby'. They're into Bitcoin because they want to help its adoption. They won't quit just because sales are low at the beginning.

If you look through the list you can see that most of the businesses are unlikely to be  offshoot "brands" for the sake of targeting bitcoin enthusiasts. I would expect many of these businesses to accept fiat in person, but the fact that their website only accepts bitcoin does somewhat limit the amount of fiat they take in. I am under no misapprehension that most of the btc gets turned into fiat and vice versa for all businesses. The point is there is a greater probability that a certain percentage of bitcoin stays within our ecosystem with these businesses and that is good enough at this stage. Just like how overstock keeps 10% in BTC (despite that a percentage   of it may eventually be turned into fiat when they offer to pay their employees bonuses in bitcoin.) This delay in leaking to fiat and or the fact that a certain percentage will keep some in bitcoin will help our ecosystem.

This discussion does bring up another business idea or opportunity. Create bitcoin only accepting businesses that hold profits in bitcoin (which can be proven and verified on the blockchain) for a certain set of time (1-5 years). It would have to be examples where it is a side business or hobby and the owner is in bitcoin for the long haul. Another concern for this idea is the tax implications of amassing such a store of bitcoin so may be better suited for businesses that are anonymous in nature and /or offer digital products and services.

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:45:10 PM

If you look through the list you can see that most of the businesses are unlikely to be  offshoot "brands" for the sake of targeting bitcoin enthusiasts. I would expect many of these businesses to accept fiat in person, but the fact that their website only accepts bitcoin does somewhat limit the amount of fiat they take in. I am under no misapprehension that most of the btc gets turned into fiat and vice versa for all businesses. The point is there is a greater probability that a certain percentage of bitcoin stays within our ecosystem with these businesses and that is good enough at this stage. Just like how overstock keeps 10% in BTC (despite that a percentage   of it may eventually be turned into fiat when they offer to pay their employees bonuses in bitcoin.) This delay in leaking to fiat and or the fact that a certain percentage will keep some in bitcoin will help our ecosystem.

This discussion does bring up another business idea or opportunity. Create bitcoin only accepting businesses that hold profits in bitcoin (which can be proven and verified on the blockchain) for a certain set of time (1-5 years). It would have to be examples where it is a side business or hobby and the owner is in bitcoin for the long haul. Another concern for this idea is the tax implications of amassing such a store of bitcoin so may be better suited for businesses that are anonymous in nature and /or offer digital products and services.

Valid reasoning, but I still can't really believe that you can just live off of the income generated by a shop only accepting BTC. Even if you ran that shop without paying taxes, etc. it wouldn't be enough, most likely. Creating a shop that keeps the BTC is a great way to attract Bitcoin enthusiasts, but how are you able to prove you're not spending the coins at some point over the next 5 years!?

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:00:18 PM

Valid reasoning, but I still can't really believe that you can just live off of the income generated by a shop only accepting BTC. Even if you ran that shop without paying taxes, etc. it wouldn't be enough, most likely.

That is why it would have to be a side business or hobby. Additionally, many people living in more rural areas or that are self sufficient don't need much of an income and have their own gardens and trade and barter locally. Some of the businesses in that directory likely do that as well. I.E..  Technically I can live with a salary less than 2k a year If I wanted to as I am almost completely self sufficient on my permaculture farm. Fiat income does not necessarily equal quality of life either... some of us live in paradise for almost nothing.

...but how are you able to prove you're not spending the coins at some point over the next 5 years!?

Many ways to do this....

1) deposit btc in publicly audible blockchain address where clients can see their purchases deposit in realtime and audit the business is keeping their word. Reputation would be maintained and easily verified by anyone auditing at any time. All outputs would be seen in realtime and ruin the businesses reputation.

2) payments made to multisig address where a majority of keys held by outside escrow agents to insure that funds aren't spent beforehand

3) Payments transferred immediately using nLockTime or soon to be incorporated checklocktimeverify to lock the btc on the blockchain and make them impossible to spend within a certain amount of time. This could be verified and audited in a decentralized matter like option 1.

inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 12:00:44 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2015, 12:19:33 AM by inBitweTrust

Added - https://bitroses.com/
http://pokemonbtc.com/
http://bannersforbitcoins.com/

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 12:38:58 AM

Great, i've bought small amounts of silver in the past with amagi, decent dealers and good support. May try to buy some small time metals in the future with BTC to test it out.
inBitweTrust (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 01:14:41 AM

Added 2 host companies

https://bithost.io                         Cloud hosting per hour
http://www.cleverpuffin.com        Web Hosting

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 02:01:36 AM

Nice list ... like the beginnings of Alibaba for bitcoin.

Wonder what wallet s/ware, services etc these businesses are using for shifting btc around and how much it touches fiat in the background, or if at all?

turborx15

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 03:27:45 PM

hostdingle web hosting also accepting bitcoin payment
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2015, 03:31:09 PM

hostdingle web hosting also accepting bitcoin payment
This won't be added to the list as it accepts others payment methods as well. Didn't you read the topic title and the OP?

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀