Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:01:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CNN Inside Man bitcoin episode review! Share your opinions!  (Read 4063 times)
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:25:23 PM

It was an ok intro to bitcoin. It could have been better.
When he brought up silk road, it would have been nice to compare it fiat and how it's no different really.
That senator is a joke and to think there is 99 more of that kind in office.
The "bitcoin wall street" scene was funny. Again totally seemed staged and if not. *facepalm*
Who the hell is buying btc that way and why?

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 03:39:01 PM

That looked like a 'Satoshi Square' event. Why? Because it looks cool, and all stock exchange trading was done like that only a few decades ago ;-)

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:51:44 PM

Watched it today, it's quite an entertaining documentary.

I'm wondering if he's still wearing that fake rolex he bought from SilkRoad  Cheesy
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Merit: 509

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 03:52:20 PM

It was great and nicely aimed for the average joe that hasnt got a clue on btc yet.
BCwinning

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 04:02:51 PM

That looked like a 'Satoshi Square' event. Why? Because it looks cool, and all stock exchange trading was done like that only a few decades ago ;-)

yea I get it was done decades ago. But still WHY? because it's "hipster douche cool?"

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 04:05:37 PM

This whole thing was a joke. If you look at the addresses he used in the coffee shop, they literally have 2 transactions. They havent been used since filming, it was a BS thing.

I figured that place probably only took his bitcoin for the show, but that doesn't make the whole thing a joke. It's important that people think about asking businesses to take Bitcoin. Most of the people he asked if they took it, had never even heard of it.

Maybe they used new addresses? And which coffee shop were you talking about? The one where he 'had' to spend $25 because of the 'volatility'. I could see that maybe being staged to try make a point. Surprised they didn't mention payment processors though.

No I believe they were talking about the one he "convinced" to start taking Bitcoin. And I agree with you, as I went to sleep last night, I figured they could have just gotten a new wallet for the store after the show. Makes sense.
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 04:11:55 PM

yea I get it was done decades ago. But still WHY? because it's "hipster douche cool?"

It's useful for raising public awareness. More visible than online trading. I'd buy a BTC there for a laugh, even though it is admittedly not very practical.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
zooyaa

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 04:25:50 PM

that was a very great show and I wish it was longer.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 04:27:19 PM

Just finished watching, was a very good show, didnt understand why that coffee shop guy only took a $25 minimum because of price swings.  Its cool he accepts bitcoin as bitcoin though.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 04:46:03 PM

Because if he is going to be subject to price swings he wants bigger exposure Huh
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 05:04:28 PM

The episode was good. Watched it with family, who know I've been into bitcoin, and they're asking a lot of positive questions about it, which is great! And even better is that Morgan answers those questions.

Spurlock does a great job keeping an objective, balanced perspective. If the episode has left Bitcoin (and the community) in a largely positively light it's because Bitcoin is a positive thing!

I'm glad Spurlock and CNN put this in the spotlight.

nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 05:18:52 PM

Do we know why the episode was delayed so long from production to air?

Last Summer tabloid style Bitcoin stories were almost daily I personally could easily believe someone made a call to a CNN boss and said lets hold off on the Bitcoin show till the fuss dies down. I feel like the mainstream kind of think Bitcoin is almost dead now and leave it alone, now it's safe to air?

The reason I'm so cynical is CNN is really not a trusted news source by anyone's standard. The presenter and makers did a genuine job I think, and why not? If we hadn't had so many Bullshit reports and negative take down pieces in the media we might not care that an actual program pretty much said the balanced truth for once.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 05:19:59 PM

This whole thing was a joke. If you look at the addresses he used in the coffee shop, they literally have 2 transactions. They havent been used since filming, it was a BS thing.

That's one transaction? Was his trip to the Bitcoin Center of New York a joke? Was his talk with Andreas a joke? Was his other transactions - pizza shop, massage joint, Brooklyn bodega, also "a BS thing"?

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 05:20:36 PM

Pretty good episode! I enjoyed it how Spurlock got to know the world of Bitcoin. And it was pretty good explained for the average joe out there how Bitcoin works and what it is.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 05:23:45 PM

I kind of liked it... some of the things that could have been improved is :

1. The way people can buy BTC - The stock exchange guy scene did not do it for me... A Bitcoin ATM would have been better.

Overall a positive experience.  Grin

This is a great point. The "floor of the exchange" approach was good for TV but it did make it seem difficult to buy bitcoin. Are there any ATMs in the US yet? I thought they were only in Canada (among North American countries).

VoR0220

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 06:43:49 PM

I kind of liked it... some of the things that could have been improved is :

1. The way people can buy BTC - The stock exchange guy scene did not do it for me... A Bitcoin ATM would have been better.

Overall a positive experience.  Grin

This is a great point. The "floor of the exchange" approach was good for TV but it did make it seem difficult to buy bitcoin. Are there any ATMs in the US yet? I thought they were only in Canada (among North American countries).

ATMs exist in the US. Though they are few and far between where I'm at. Have to go all the way to the city to get to one.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:19:41 PM

Just saw the whole episode by Morgan ..

I felt the episode is actually pro bitcoin even though he tried to be neutral in his take on bitcoin..

The episode covered broadly on 4 aspects..

buying bitcoin- from bitcoin centre

Spending bitcoins - in local shops and how some shops and services are not aware of bitcoins

Mining bitcoins and some explanations about the blockchain

Regulations and dark web stuff and finally

Future of bitcoin.

Future of bitcoin is  an interview with Andreas antonopolous in which he termed bitcoin as third wave of internet revolution..

Could have been still better if some venture capitalist like Marc Andreeson and Tim draper were interviewed for future of bitcoin..

my opinion is that this episode will seem little noob for you, but definitely the best documentary about bitcoin for your mom, dad, grandpa, granma if you want them to know about bitcoin..

Recommended Must watch

Share your opinions....

http://www.cryptocurrencybuzz.com/news/cnn-inside-man-morgan-makes-cents-of-bitcoin-torrent-inside/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxhI81Flvk

www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2whz5e/the_inside_man_episode_on_bitcoin_megathread/

well, watched the video, and while it seams like an easy to understand introduction to newbies, its not providing answers to any of the main problems of bitcoin, liability of exchanges for example.
even if we havewide acceptance of bitcoin, we wont get anywhere until we get strict regulations regarding it, dont expect another bubble while bitcoin is still in the gray area.

cheers
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:39:58 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2015, 11:28:51 PM by MakingMoneyHoney

Just saw the whole episode by Morgan ..

I felt the episode is actually pro bitcoin even though he tried to be neutral in his take on bitcoin..

The episode covered broadly on 4 aspects..

buying bitcoin- from bitcoin centre

Spending bitcoins - in local shops and how some shops and services are not aware of bitcoins

Mining bitcoins and some explanations about the blockchain

Regulations and dark web stuff and finally

Future of bitcoin.

Future of bitcoin is  an interview with Andreas antonopolous in which he termed bitcoin as third wave of internet revolution..

Could have been still better if some venture capitalist like Marc Andreeson and Tim draper were interviewed for future of bitcoin..

my opinion is that this episode will seem little noob for you, but definitely the best documentary about bitcoin for your mom, dad, grandpa, granma if you want them to know about bitcoin..

Recommended Must watch

Share your opinions....

http://www.cryptocurrencybuzz.com/news/cnn-inside-man-morgan-makes-cents-of-bitcoin-torrent-inside/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxhI81Flvk

www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2whz5e/the_inside_man_episode_on_bitcoin_megathread/

well, watched the video, and while it seams like an easy to understand introduction to newbies, its not providing answers to any of the main problems of bitcoin, liability of exchanges for example.
even if we havewide acceptance of bitcoin, we wont get anywhere until we get strict regulations regarding it, dont expect another bubble while bitcoin is still in the gray area.

cheers

It wasn't made to get into the liability of exchanges, etc. It was just another episode of Morgan delving into something for a week, like his 30 day McDonald's only diet.

If most of the people in the US don't know what Bitcoin is, don't expect a report on the intricacies of it in a one hour program.

For what it was, it was wonderfully done, and hopefully got more people to understand what Bitcoin is and that's not all criminals using it, and that you can use it to get coffee, etc. We have to see a lot more adoption of Bitcoin before you'll get programs on cable news stations getting deep into the real Bitcoin issues, that apparently, you were thinking this would be about.
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 11:21:04 PM

thanks for the youtube link

"definitely the best documentary about bitcoin for your mom, dad, grandpa, granma"

could not agree more.  some have watched it and now have a better understanding.  maybe i wont seem so crazy anymore
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 01:56:47 AM

It's useful for raising public awareness. More visible than online trading. I'd buy a BTC there for a laugh, even though it is admittedly not very practical.

Believe it or not, those Trade Floor style auctions happen every Monday and Thursday at the Bitcoin Center, so it definitely was not just for TV:

http://bitcoincenternyc.com/satoshi-square-events/

Also, I think there should be an ATM or BTM inside the Bitcoin Center, if people just want to buy BTC's without doing the floor auction.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀